1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Are We Being Too Hard On Dez?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboys&LakersFan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've heard alot of we should bench or even get rid of Dez. I myself have been upset with Dez, but I just took a look at his numbers. So far this season Dez has 21 catches for 269 recieving yards, just under 13 yards per catch, however he has zero touchdowns. Considering the fact that the offensive line is absolutely atrocious and can't contain their blocks for more than a couple of seconds that's not really surprising.

Also we aren't really targeting him in the red zone. Dez is on pace for 84 catches, 1,076 recieving yards, and 12.8 yards per catch. Now I'm not saying he hasn't been a little dissapointing because he certainty has, but I think we are being a little too hard on him. Dez is a good football player and at times great. He just has to develop that consistency.

I was watching NFL Network earlier and Darren Woodson thinks the Cowboys should bench Dez. I don't agree with this absurd idea at all. First of all it'd make us a much worse football team with Dez on the bench. Ogeltree has been okay at the #3, but he's not a #2 reciever in this league. Not by a long shot.

Our offense is already struggling to score and you wanna take our most explosive wideout out? Just doesn't make sense. Another thing is we risk losing Dez if we bench him. We already know he's got some maturity issues. Do you really think he'll handle being benched well? I don't think so.
  2. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    He's lacking horrendously in the cerebral department. That's my main concern with him.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,478 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Dez is just part of the offensive woes. If we intend to increase the scoring, Dez has to get his head in the game from start to finish. Our offense is not good enough to carry a WR who continually makes blunders.

With a poor line, Romo needs all of his receivers on the same page; otherwise, we will continue to see much of the same results.

In short, it doesn't matter if us fans are too hard on him or not, it will not change a thing. The coaches are the one's who need to be hard on him, which they could very well be doing.

---sticking to the topic here and not involving the other obvious issues---
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree which is exactly why benching him makes zero sense. Do that and we risk losing him mentally for the rest of the season.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    If that's the case then let him sit and cry. He's not helping all that much while he's in the game anyway. If he can't be a man and take the benching as a motivational tool, then let him sit the rest of the season for all i care.

I personally don't think a benching would affect him as much as you do, but babying players isn't the way to go.
  6. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

947 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I wonder if his handlers think the fans are being too hard on him?

/sarcasm
  7. spolcyc

spolcyc Member

93 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He has to get the tough lessons one day or another. If he's not putting the proper amount of effort in, then something needs to be done to change that.
  8. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,952 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    the man seems to be dumb. he would not be starting on many NFL teams. but, given that JG is currently enrolled in HC-101 and the team seems to be in a rebuilding phase, why not play the guy, especially since the bench is weak. The biggest problem that Cowboy fans have these days is that our expectations are too high, especially after the Giants game. Our team is not very good and we have to realize that as in 2001, we may fall short of the playoffs once again. Such is the way that it is for many other NFL teams....
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Too hard on Dez? Remember how Irvin tried to mentor him? Or how about Deion Sanders? Instead he's off on his own getting cought with his pants down in shopping malls and arrested for domestic violence. Lastly Jay Novacek was his last mentor, but you hear nothing about that - not then, not now. Sadly we hear more about how Jerry needs to hire him babysitters. Dez Bryant is waste of mental space and a spot on the Dallas Cowboys roster.
  10. garrett316

garrett316 Well-Known Member

2,467 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I dont know that anyone is hard enough on him. I dont think you win with garbage like him on the team. Oh he's talented, but he does just enough dumb things to help you lose.

I couldnt believe despite mistake after mistake Monday Night that Garrett kept sending him out there. A series or two off would have been a move to accountability perhaps.

As far as benching him, if he tanks it after a benching then does anyone really want that kind of players on the team?
  11. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,388 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Who is being hard on him ? The fans ?

The team seems to be just fine with what he is doing.

Problem C&LF is that even if he produces the projected numbers...he should be elite. One of the best with his size, speed, hands, athleticism...he should be in the league of Calvin Johnson.

Not to mention, you can't project (if you extend numbers that way) any TD's since through 4 games he has none. He could explode, or shut down.
  12. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,763 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    He doesn't have it. Trade him to the jets
  13. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received

for me its not about numbers with Dez, its what between his ears which is NOTHING.. Thats his problem.. YOu cant teach that.. Skill and talent dosent mean a damn thing... Im not sure Dez has the mental makeup to be even a good WR in this league.. Its obvious that Romo does not trust him.. IM sure both sides are at fault there, but there def is a problem and im not sure it can be fixed... This is what worries me about Dez.. But im tired of all the excuses we make for this kid... Its all on him now
  14. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    he had a bad game and went over 100 yards /thread #ishhappens
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    31 other teams in the NFL will tell you they have to fear or respect Dez Bryant and what he can do.

31 other teams in the NFL would take him right now and be thrilled.

Our fans want to be French and wave the white flag.
  16. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,418 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I don't think he will realize his potential, at least not here. The worst thing was Jerry giving him the 88 jersey. He should have to earn it.
  17. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,522 Messages
    789 Likes Received

I somewhat agree unless Dallas can get back to their 90s roots and begin playing smash-mouth football again. Dez would thrive in a passing offense based off of play action.
  18. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received

I disagree totally..... No one is giving up on the guy, but relax about all 32 teams would take him in a second.. Come on now
  19. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well said! I agree 100%. If Dez was biggest problem on offense, we'd be either 3-1 or undefeated.
  20. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received

No offense, but you're delusional if you think there's a team out there who wouldn't have Dez on their team.