1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Arkansas Razorback Jake Bequette A Potential Cowboy Day Two Draft Pick?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 30, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,562 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    This last week, during the days leading up to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama teams interviewed prospective 2012 NFL draft candidates. One of those potential Dallas Cowboys draft candidates is Arkansas Razorbacks defensive lineman Jake Bequette.

We are all familiar with Jerry Jones’ propensity for everything Arkansas and the University of Arkansas for that matter. Therefore drafting the Little Rock, Arkansas native, who has good NFL size at 6’5” and 271 pounds, would not be surprising at all. Bequette has been clocked as fast as 4.54 during his forty yard dash time. Bequette is a quick defensive end and is fundamentally sound at finishing the job when he gets to the quarterback.

Many feel as if Bequette is better suited making a transition to an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, which is where the Senior Bowl South coaches had the former defensive end lining up during practice and on game day.

http://thelandryhat.com/2012/01/30/...a-potential-dallas-cowboy-day-two-draft-pick/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,562 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    I am starting to warm up to this guy in the 3rd-4th round area.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I think hes just too big and too slow to play OLB. I'll be honest that Ive only seen a very limited amount of him, but when I did see him I just didnt see the explosiveness to rush the passer off of the edge. I think hes way better suited in the 4-3. He would have to add 10 lbs and be a 5 tech if anything in order for us to draft him.
  4. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He's not too slow, but he lacks agility and pass rush moves to play OLB. All the video that I have seen of him has just been a bull rush. He's built like a defensive lineman. I could see him cracking the rotation early on during passing situations. He seems to be a Cowboy favorite.
  5. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,255 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    This is another lie about Jerry Jones, How many players from Arkansas have been starters or even major contributors on the Dallas Cowboys throughout the 20 something years Jerry has owned the team?

In fact how many has even been on the practice squad?

I am getting fed up with the idiots constantly blaming Jerry for team failures.
    Why not place blame where it really belongs on the coaches and the players, but the right players not the QB when it is not the QB's fault.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    No kidding. About the Jones loving Arkansas players part. As far as piling on goes, Jerry deserves it as much as anybody in the organization does. It's better than the brainless Romo-bashing, at least.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I swear I get sick every time an article ties a Arkansas player to the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones. Any columnist who uses this connection as the basis as to why the Cowboys should be interested or draft a player should be given the pink slip and black listed from the internet. Investigative research and it's worst........

Jerry Jones has been with the Cowboys for going on 23 years, he has drafted a grand total of.....................1 player (Felix Jones) from Arkansas

1 out of 213 picks have been Razorbacks.

More players have been drafted from Ball State then Arkansas under Jones!
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,921 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    I like the player, but have a hard time seeing him as an OLB.
  9. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Agreed. I can see him as more of a project at DE which is why I think he is a 3rd round prospect. He may improve his draft status at the Combine but I think Dallas needs to focus on immediate starters in the first two rounds.
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,422 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I say put 10 pounds on him and make him a back end 3-4 DE.
    6-5 283 pounds is good size for a 3-4 DE. He has the strength to play the position and the build to add another 10 pounds.
    5th round wouldn't be bad.

I don't understand why people put Jerry with Arkansas players so much. He has only drafted one player from Arkansas. That was Felix in 2008.
    Jerry has drafted more players from Tennessee than from any other college.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree with the idea of making him a 3-4 DE by putting on 10-15 lbs. I really like him and think we could snag him in the 4-5 round range.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He is a 4-3 DE and that is where he belongs. A 4-3 team will probably pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round.

We could pick him up in that range as a specialty pass rusher for the nickel. He looks like he can be one of those versatile guys who can play some DE in a 4-man line and a little bit of 3-4 OLB. Even if he were mainly a pass rusher we could sub him in for Ware and have him chase after QBs and play the run while we give Ware a break. I would have no problem putting in a bid in the 4th round for him.

However, I think it is hard to see him as a 3-4 DE. He has played most of his career at 270 pounds so he would need to gain about 20-30 pounds to do it. He is definitely a reach for that purpose and thus not suitable before the 5th round - the only problem is that he will be gone by then.