1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Article: DMN/JJT - Notebook: Cornerbacks get coach's support

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,419 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    Notebook: Cornerbacks get coach's support

Parcells isn't ready to give up on young players in secondary

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys aren't interested in trading for disgruntled Green Bay cornerback Mike McKenzie. Or signing any veteran free agent cornerback who's currently unemployed.

For now, coach Bill Parcells said he's focused on the young guys.

That means he's committed to using a combination of Pete Hunter, Bruce Thornton, Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones at right cornerback and in the slot.

"I'm going to try to take them through the year and see where we are because they're young players," Parcells said. "I don't want to give up on what I think is some reasonable ability."

Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper passed for 242 yards and five touchdowns as Minnesota beat Dallas, 35-17, on Sunday.

Hunter allowed two touchdown passes, as did Terence Newman.

Parcells said he hopes Thornton, Reeves and Jones will improve quicker with playing time rather than sitting behind a veteran.

"Now that Reeves kid didn't play too bad yesterday," Parcells said. "No one happened to notice that. He didn't play great, but he was in there 17 or 18 plays on the nickel and did a reasonably decent job, and so that was a maybe a little bit ... some slight progress there."

When the Vikings used formations with three receivers, Hunter moved to the slot and Reeves took his spot at right cornerback.

Parcells said Jones was on the active roster instead of Thornton, a fourth-round pick, because Jones has been better in the slot.

Offensive line banged up: Injuries to right guard Andre Gurode (knee) and Tyson Walter (knee) have left the Cowboys' offensive line in disarray.

Coach Bill Parcells said he wouldn't be sure how to compensate for the injuries until he knows their severity.

If Gurode can't play, as expected, the Cowboys would probably move Walter into his spot. If Walter can't play, then Matt Lehr would probably replace him in the lineup.

Dallas will also try to expedite the learning curve for Bill Noll , a lineman claimed off waivers from St. Louis last week.

"He's a smart kid," Parcells said. "I would think he would know the plays by the end of the week."

Help at defensive tackle: Defensive tackle Chris Cooper, acquired Saturday from Oakland for a conditional draft choice, will play nose guard in the Cowboys' scheme.

He had 49 tackles and 2 ½ sacks for the Raiders last season.

The Cowboys hope Cooper can help their interior run defense and create a push in the middle of the pocket on passing situations. He will join a rotation of Leonardo Carson, Chad Eaton and Daleroy Stewart.

Briefly: Owner Jerry Jones will be in New York the next two days for NFL committee meetings. ... About 600 tickets – mostly pairs and singles – remain available for Sunday's game against Cleveland at Texas Stadium. ... RB Richie Anderson had an MRI on his right knee Monday, but doesn't think the injury would keep him out of Sunday's game. ... DT Leonardo Carson has served his one-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and is expected to play Sunday.
  2. MichaelWinicki

32,419 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone can faily critique the corners until the front seven start delivering some sort of pressure.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Yup, that's about right regarding the pass rush.

In any case, by year-end we'll know what we do and don't have in the secondary.

I think we'll have to pick up a solid Safety next year, but hopefully a couple of these young CBs will work out and save us a pick (or two).
  4. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,094 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Parcells said he hopes Thornton, Reeves and Jones will improve quicker with playing time rather than sitting behind a veteran.

"Now that Reeves kid didn't play too bad yesterday," Parcells said. "No one happened to notice that. He didn't play great, but he was in there 17 or 18 plays on the nickel and did a reasonably decent job, and so that was a maybe a little bit ... some slight progress there."

When the Vikings used formations with three receivers, Hunter moved to the slot and Reeves took his spot at right cornerback.

Parcells said Jones was on the active roster instead of Thornton, a fourth-round pick, because Jones has been better in the slot.

Ok, Jones is better in the slot than Thornton...But in the nickle package Hunter was moved into the slot and Reeves played RCB ? So is BP also saying that Reeves is a better RCB (right now) than Thornton ?

If so, then a 7th rounder beat out a 4th rounder....Typical of our drafting skills these days.
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really dont thinks its fair to critique them anymore until we have a new defensive coordinator, or at the least a new DB coach.

David
  6. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    geez, talk about nit picky

David
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,419 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received

Yeah.

Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder. Do you bench him because he wasn't drafted higher?
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    Personally I think Zimmer is a good coach and so does Bill Parcells who has as much imput into the defense as anyone seeing how he is the Head Coach!!! So you want to ditch Zimmer then Ditch Parcells as well he is the man in charge you Know the Buck Stops here guy. Now I don't anyone in their right mind is going to fire Parcells and I think he knows a lot more about Zimmer and what they are trying to do on defense than some pud knocker fans.
  9. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,027 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    How about not giving up on the team?
  10. SmashFactorGolf

SmashFactorGolf New Member

345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ..............was that the Safety's played well...............Dixon better step it up
    I would like to see a little K Davis in there at FS, with Roy up into SS--gotta expeirement with combos
  11. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,019 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    He never said that. Reeves was one of the kickoff returners, which might have been why he was active instead of Thornton.
  12. Rush 2112

Rush 2112 New Member

1,496 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He did say that. Had to take 2 guys that could play the slot just in case one went down.
  13. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,580 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    draft grades are often based on potential rather then how well they can contribute out of the gate.
  14. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I asked one of the players about the reasoning behind Thornton being inactive and Jones and Reeves being active, and he said that they told Thornton that he didn't play enough special teams...
  15. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,889 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Once again the truth comes out. :D
  16. AdamJT13

15,019 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    That's the slot, not cornerback. Bruce Thornton doesn't play in the slot, which is why Nate Jones was active instead of Thornton. Jacques Reeves returned kickoffs, which is probably why he was active instead of Thornton. If it was just a matter of who could play cornerback better, then Thornton probably would have been active instead of Reeves.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,143 Messages
    2,726 Likes Received
    There's no boubt in my mind that K. Davis should be playing safety instead of Dixon. He may freelance a little more than Tony (which Parcells hates), but at least there's a chance he could actually make a play on the ball.

When the ball is in the air, Dixon hasn't a clue where it is... No ball skills whatsoever. That happens to be Davis' strong suit.
  18. Bobo

Bobo New Member

911 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure if this has been discussed in any other thread, but how is the pass rush going to get better? Is Carson gonna help any? Or is blitzing about the only option?
  19. AdamJT13

15,019 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    Carson will help some because he's our second-best defensive tackle, and because the other tackles won't have top play so many snaps and will be fresher. It also will help when we're not playing one of the league's best offensive lines at their place, where they apparently have license to hold without being penalized, while we're also playing one of the more mobile quarterbacks around. Besides all of that, we'll just have to play better.
  20. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    In Jennifer Floyd Engel's most recent article she wrote very accurately "the pressure is on the front four to help out the secondary until the secondary can help itself." Once we have a solid secondary again, we will be fine with or without an "A List" pass rush. Just like we were last season when we had the number 1 defense.