1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: Audio: BaD Radio were at the Film Session

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dcfanatic, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BaD Radio at the film session
    ----------------------

Chess game. I think sometimes these coaches out think themselves.

And why does the audio just cut off?

The Ticket sucks at Podcasting.

:banghead:
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    That happens to every coach. Did you see Bill Belichick going for it against the Colts last year and giving Peyton Manning a short field?

Have you seen other coaches got for it and get burned?

The idea that our coaches are unique to certain types of failure needs to stop.
  3. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, but I think Garrett has exhibited this trait more than his fair share over the course of the last two years. I'd simply attribute it to inexperience or growing pains. He seemed to be getting better in the latter half of last year....although our redzone inefficiency was a bit alarming considering our weapons. A coach with Roy Williams, Jason Witten, Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Miles Austin, and to a lesser extent a VERY capable cast of backups at RB, WR and TE; should be able to find a way to put 6 on the board more often than we did last year.

I do recall, however, that we made it difficult for him with penalties in those situations as well. Nothing is more frustrating than getting to the opponents 20 and getting a holding call on the next play.
  4. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I submit that this is because you watch more of our games.

I don't know where the idea of coaching perfection comes from. The best Defensive coordinator I have ever seen was the late Jimmy Johnson of the Eagles. I am not sure who I would consider the best Offensive coordinator I have ever seen, but I will throw out the name Tom Moore in Indy for the sake of example.

Each of these guys have coached games where their units explode and each have coached games where their units implode. Each have had moments of clarity and obscurity in every game. Games where a fan can scream "why did you blitz?" and "why didn't you blitz?" Or similar calls for Offense.

The bottom line is every coach is 2nd guessed and every coach out thinks himself. Throughout the entire NFL.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,285 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I agree. I will say as good as DC Jimmy Johnson was as much as I hate to say it I think Buddy Ryan was even better as a DC both in Philly and the Bears. But that is a different topic.
  6. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,544 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I wish more of our posters consider this.

Football on a strategic level is inherently complicated that is why the blunders are so pronounced when they occur. No coach is infallible from going from genius to jerk based on a decision that is made during the heat of battle during a game.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,285 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    No doubt ask Coughlin who went from the Hot Seat to SB now back to the hot seat.
  8. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Not only that, but you can make a perfect play call and still have a bad result. I am not pointing the finger at player execution when I say that either even though that is a huge factor. The other coach may also make a perfect play call and beat you.

One of the reasons why I love football is because it usually comes down to execution over any other aspect. You get enough executioners and you kill the other team. It's awesome.
  9. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's entirely possible. While I do watch a lot of non-Cowboy games, I don't view them with the same critical eye....and while I don't demand perfection, I do have rather high expectations for a young coach given the hype surrounding his hiring and the responsibility given to such an inexperienced coach.

I do, however, think that our redzone trouble have been due primarily to two things: penalties by the players, and Garrett out thinking himself. I understand that execution is paramount, but a good coach puts his players in a position to succeed.

...but like I said, I think he's shown improvement, and I think he's learning to adapt better to the situation. He's been given a terrific wealth of talent, and a great deal of time to work with them by modern NFL standards...so I'll continue to expect big things. I suspect I won't have the need to be so critical this year.
  10. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,544 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Absolutely. I know I have had moments on the field were I was the cause of the entire thing getting screwed up. Had I won my match up while being in the perfect position (because the perfect play was called) could have saved a TD and not caused it, lol. It is football it happens. Indeed that is what I love about football too. It is smash mouth chess, lol.
  11. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    If you look at Garrett's results I don't know how anyone can think he isn't meeting expectations. He came on board and our scoring went up and so did our wins. How is that not the goal?

Garrett's results have been better than Sean Payton's and he just won a Super Bowl.

Is he going to have pull your hair out moments? Oh hell yeah. But the product on the field is far from flawed because of his dawdling.
  12. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I have to ask you, were you ever in a film session where a player was being praised for his efforts on a play that had bad results? I was several times. I remember one in particular where the QB was being praised for the right progression of reads and it went pick 6 the other way. The coach didn't focus on the pick 6 because the defender made an outstanding play. He focused on reinforcing to the QB that what he was doing was correct, it was just one of those things.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,660 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    Homer weaksauce, bro.
  14. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I have no idea what that means. My apologies.
  15. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think I ever said it was only our coaches.

I meant all coaches.
  16. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    It has to be pointed out from time to time or the natives lose their minds.
  17. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I got a feeling Jason Garrett will be the hottest head coaching candidate after the 2010 season.

But he won't be going anywhere.

I could see this offense looking like the Rams 1999 offense.

Garrett has been over his bumps and bruises and Wade has settled in with all of his guys on defense.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,874 Messages
    3,010 Likes Received
    If we had scored at the pace of our yards gained we would have won the SB last year. I blame the failure of our offense and lack of points scored on Jason Garrett. I realize the players are responsible too.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    GAC also had Timmy Mc talking about his experience at the film session, and he said the Cowboys pride themselves on running one of the more simpler offensive systems in the NFL. Garrett said when he at Tampa Bay under Gruden that they had some play calls that were over 30 words long.

He said they also showed footage of one OTA play where a certain TE (he wouldn't give out the name, but he said you could probably guess who it was) didn't run his route to the correct depth and how it gummed up the entire play because it ruined the spacing between the receivers.
  20. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185869