1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: Audio: Broaddus breaks down the Buehler misses

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dcfanatic, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Buehler misses 4 out of 7 kicks today

I don't know if I am so rattled by the misses. I think the fact that the coaches put him into game type situations and then he misses under pressure is not a good sign. The kid has been pretty good in the preseason games so we just have to see how he does on Saturday.
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,098 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Four of seven is about what created the need for another kicker to begin with...and in the middle of the exhibition season is not good at all. There, I said the obvious. Now we have to see how he responds to real failures at this level. It does take a an experience of both types of end results to become stable in actual real games. Just conjecture doesn't replace real experience. I'm glad he got his nose 'bloodied' as he will forge on beyond that.
  3. windjc

windjc Active Member

617 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    It is what it is. David's not going to go from bad kicker to good one in a straight line. If he makes it to "good kicker" it will be after some peaks and valleys.

Missing 4 in practice is not the same as missing 4 in games. With David, its about confidence and consistency. He will either get that confidence striking them in the games or he will fail at it. We will know soon enough.

I think the best we can hope for is that he is servicable the first part of the season and then comes into his own by the end of the season.

We will see.
  4. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What is serviceable to you?

If the kid starts missing 40 yard FG's from week to week he won't be kicking them anymore. The Cowboys will go find a veteran.
  5. windjc

windjc Active Member

617 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I think as long as David hits 75% of his kicks, they will stick with him. With our offense, there is a good chance, especially early on in the season that he is going to have a lot of FG opportunities - maybe 3 or 4 a game. If he hits 3 out of every 4 from whatever distance, I think they will stay with him.

They may even stick with him if he hits 65% at least for the first 3 or 4 games.

I dont think he is on as short of a leash as a lot of Zoners believe.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,098 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    My criteria is a little higher...80% and not blow the game changers. If a string of two losses is reached with win/loss pressures, then competition is then brought in for field goals specificly. Then who measures out in competition takes the job for half a season at least.

If he levels out again, now, then the start of the season is Buehler's to prove he doesn't deserve further trust.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,078 Messages
    2,294 Likes Received
    All this consternation over a single poor day of practice.

Wow.
  8. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not really.

Buehler hasn't been as good in Oxnard as he was in San Antonio.

I think it should have been the other way around.
  9. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    My consternation emphatically predated the poor day of practice today.

David's kicks have a lot of drift...I think it's a hooking action.

Now a hooking action can be fabulous...IF...1.You are a golfer 2. You can control it. But you never want to see that in a field goal kicker.

And anyone who's played golf will tell you...the wind can take any spin like that and double or triple the action.

Did you notice he was struggling really bad in the wind today?
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,078 Messages
    2,294 Likes Received
    I'm not concerned at this point because, thus far, Buehler has made five of his six attempts in games, and he improved between games. His one miss occurred when he rushed the kick.

I'll worry if he has an inordinate number of misses on Saturday.
  11. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Get ready to worry, scippi.

But in fairness I'll add this: I bet Jerry already has at least three vet kickers on speed dial.

(I think he's been reading cowboyszone.com)
  12. urface59

urface59 Active Member

1,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I want to be on record saying Buehler makes every thing inside 60 yards this saturday.
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,113 Messages
    2,652 Likes Received
    I dont really care what he does in practice, its the games that matter. If he starts missing over half of his kicks in live action games, then bench his arse.

Of course he still kicks off, but sign a vet for FGs.
  14. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really? Other than yesterday, care to post his daily results? Also, accruacy kicking indoors >>> acuracy kicking outdoors, most kickers are far more accurate inside than outside, this has been proven over a few decades now.

Also, it was noted that it was quite windy yesterday in Oxnard in a couple articles I read.

One off day in practice doesnt undo a great offseason and very solid TC/preseason.
  15. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,969 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    With our red zone/general scoring issues, we need a better than serviceable kicker. Folk cost us last year, hopefully the alternative is superior scorer, not just a roster spot saver.
  16. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

1,678 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    What bothers me about the kicking situation is when Folk was obviously done last year and Dallas needed some kicks made they never even considered letting Beuhler kick during the games. There were a few games last season when i would watch and wonder how bad of a kicker must Beuhler be when the boys would rather Folk miss again than let Beuhler kick.

I know they have been working with him during the offseason. But kicking just seems like shooting free throws. You can either make them or you cant. I hope Beuhler isnt like Shaq. No matter how many times they tried to teach him to shoot foul shots he just couldnt do it consistently.

I like the guy. It's kind of cool having a kicker that is such a physical freak. I like watching his kickoffs sail into the end zone. I hope he can develop into a long time field goal kicker for us. And i am not writing him off at this point. I am just very nervous about losing close games. I am nervous about those games making us play in Minnesota or New Orleans on the road in the playoffs. I think we have a really good team. But our conference is stacked with quality. Its tough this year because all of our division rivals have improved (possibly). The Saints and Vikings play in weak divisions where they have an easier schedule than we do. So it may take 13-3 or 14-2 to get home field.

Come on Beuhler!!!!
  17. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    My guess is that there are some people on this forum who have never lined up to kick a 40 or 45 yard field goal and who have no idea how small the goalposts look from there and how difficult it is to be accurate in a swirling or unsteady wind even if you hit the ball right.

Try it sometime and see what you think. Even if you have the leg strength the wind sometimes decides whether your kick is good or not. It's hard to blame a kicker for the changing winds; on such days luck plays at least as big a part as kicking skill. Go ahead and kick a few before you criticize a kicker for missing from far out on a windy day.

JMO
  18. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,194 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Then again, nobody here gets paid the big bucks to make those kicks. These are NFL kickers. NFL kickers are expected to make these kicks. We aren't.

A kicker should never have training camp in doors. It's absolutely foolish. There is no weather in a dome and weather makes the entire kicking experience completely different.
  19. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    I don't put much stock in a bad day from Buehler. Those things happen.

I do think he won't be the primary kicker for this team when the season opens though. Or if he is, I don't think he keeps that spot long. I would love to be wrong but just my .10 opinion.
  20. alancdc

alancdc Active Member

3,295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't like the idea of him being the FG kicker. Games in the NFL are far too close to have this be a problem.