1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: Audio: GAC talks about Dez sneaker situation (Nike vs Under Armour)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dcfanatic, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dez talk on Galloway and Company

Here's a qoute from Eric Ogbogu too from Clarence Hill's blog...

Former Cowboys defensive end Eric Ogbogu, who helped bring the company prominence with his "We must protect this house!" commercials, stopped by to chat with Bryant.

"I just came to see where his head was at and what the problem is," Ogbogu said. "As a former player, maybe I can understand where he is coming from."

The rookie receiver signed a marketing deal with Under Armour before the draft but has worn Nikes since having problems with his footing at his pro day in April. Bryant has worn Nike during all of his practices with the Cowboys without incident. He said he still hasn't made a final decision.
    "It's a business decision," Bryant said. "We are just going to see what we are going to do."
    --------------------------

If he signed a deal with Under Armour I don't see why he's running around in Nike shoes. Just honor the contract kid.

The best point made in the discussion is that once he became a Dallas Cowboy his stock rose ten fold. If the Jaguars had drafted him I doubt we would be hearing so much about him in the national spotlight, but we all know being a Dallas Cowboy makes him endorsement gold for these companies.

Weird though that the Under Armour guys just show up and let the kid know they are watching him.

If these guys are still hanging around tomorrow I think Jerry should let them know this isn't an episode of the Sopranos, lol.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,558 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    They must protect that house!
  3. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,234 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Well, I guess it depends on whether the shoes are hurting his feet. Not all people can wear all shoes. I've never been able to wear Reeboks or Punas - no matter the model, they hurt my feet.
  4. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,211 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I have worn Nike running shoes for the last 20 years.
    Just personal preference at this point.
  5. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received

In most of these types of contracts all he has to do is 'spat' the Nike shoe and have a rep from under armor place their logo over the tape. He can not market the Nike shoe, but he can wear. Again, in all likelyhood, most contracts are written as such. Since Dez has a rep, I'm sure they covered this. No harm no foul. Much ado over nothing. As a Cowboys fan, I want the kid to wear what ever shoe makes him feel comfortable. He can still honor the contract. But DC, his comfort must come before him honoring some contract.
  6. Number82

Number82 No Helmet; No Problem

593 Messages
    1 Likes Received

He just has to cover the Nike logo. I don't think they can put an UA logo on a Nike shoe because that's advertising Dez wears UAs when he doesn't. He just needs to wear like UA gloves and wrist and arm bands and he'll be good. I remember in the NBA, Gortat from the Magic I think is sponsored by adidas or Reebok, but he has a Michael Jordan "Jumpman" logo tattoo. He had to cover the tattoo because the Jumpman logo is a Nike trademark and he couldn't advertise Nike.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,391 Messages
    4,351 Likes Received
    Just CHILL: Bryant still wearing Nike
    Clarence HIll

With rookie receiver Dez Bryant still undecided on whether he will go back to wearing Under Armour cleats, the apparel company sent in reinforcements to Cowboys practice Tuesday.

Former Cowboys defensive end Eric Ogbogu, who helped bring the company prominence with his "We must protect this house!" commercials, stopped by to chat with Bryant.

"I just came to see where his head was at and what the problem is," Ogbogu said. "As a former player, maybe I can understand where he is coming from."

The rookie receiver signed a marketing deal with Under Armour before the draft but has worn Nikes since having problems with his footing at his pro day in April. Bryant has worn Nike during all of his practices with the Cowboys without incident. He said he still hasn't made a final decision.

"It's a business decision," Bryant said. "We are just going to see what we are going to do."

Posted at 06:53 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Read more: http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/#ixzz0phqvlk1H
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    DCF, are you serious?

You're more concerned with this contract than with his ability to go out and play to the best of his ability?
  9. RainMan

RainMan Makin' It Rain

3,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The real question is, what brand of shoe does his mother wear?
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,460 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    Me too.

I use them to workout in.

I get them a size small. 13 instead of 14, and once they break in they are amazing.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,779 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    Hard to say he should "honor the contract" when we don't even know the terms of the contract. He may not be in violation.

LMAO!
  12. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's your problem...you're wearing cheap knockoffs!
  13. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a huge supporter of UA apparel, every single peice of sports related apparel I own is UA. With the exception of shoes, they are complete garbage at making shoes. I play on a flag football team that happens to be good enough to pick up sponsors here and there, and we found one about a year ago that wanted us in matching cleats. We all went down to Academy and picked out some UA cleats we all agreed. Not a single one of us were still wearing them in three months. The souls were falling off, the material on the outside of the cleat was peeling off of everyones cleats, one guy had the shoestring just rip right in half while tightening the laces, etc. So now my team runs around in full out UA from hats and sweatbands, to shirts and socks.....and Nike cleats :laugh1:
  14. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    adidas made a cleat about 5-6 years ago that was the best one ive ever worn, didn't like Reebok's cleats but like their shoes, Nike is solid all the way around
  15. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Still waiting for the New Balance football cleat to come out. Great shoe company.
  16. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,234 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Dadgumit!!!!

:laugh2:
  17. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How did you come to this conclusion?

Because I posted something to talk about you are going to go off the deep end.

Lighten up.
  18. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,355 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Has anyone tried the sneaker glove style shoes that some people claim are absolutely amazing? I forget the name of the company but I bet it won't be long before a cleat with a "foot-glove" design is invented...
  19. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thread over..next!
  20. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,432 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    This is one of the many reasons why I have repeatedly said, Jerry should never over pay and actually be able to under pay what other teams would pay a player