1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: Would you trade for Reggie Nelson?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by dcfanatic, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Since UTRoy...whatever his name is brought this up in another thread I will put this in here.

Got a chance to chat with Pat and Tim from Sirius NFL Radio on Monday about a kid I would be willing to look into a trade for...

Reggie Nelson trade talk on Sirius

If the Jaguars have already lost faith in him that's not really a good thing, but like I point out in the audio that if you don't have a pass rush you are going to have some poor Safety play.

I decided I would be willing to give up Tashard Choice and Pat Watkins for Nelson. I doubt the Jags want Crayton because he's 31 and has $2mil on the deal this season, but I can't give up Orlando Scandrick. He's a possible future starting CB and in future I mean like within the next two seasons depending on Terence Newman.
  2. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'll tell you tomorrow.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,025 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    No because he makes the AOA pick harder to get on the field.
  4. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Reggie Nelson is pretty terrible but like you said, the Jags have been dead last in sacks the last few seasons so it's hard to gauge anything.

There's no way I'm giving up Tashard for him. A 3rd would be the most I go honestly.
  5. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whatever happened to developing the talent that we have drafted? Some of the names I see mentioned are not starters but they are probably future starters.
  6. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    lol @ giving up Tashard Choice for a D list safety
  7. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah. It's crazy to give up a 3rd string RB who never sees the field for a 3 year starting FS who just two seasons ago had 5 INT's and 11 passes defended with Dave Campo as his coach who's only 26 years old.

:banghead:

And please don't tell me Alan Ball is better than Nelson because you have nothing to even base such a notion on right now.
  8. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,649 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Choice for Nelson?

No way.

I'd give up Watkins and a 5th though.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,895 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    I wouldn't trade anything for Nelson, and certainly not a starting-caliber player.
  10. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,878 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    In a NY minute...
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    I mentioned this same idea a while back and I would definitely look into it.

But I wouldn't offer much more than Patrick Crayton.

He's probably Jacksonville's starting #2 receiver as soon as he arrives.

And that would be good for him and good for the Cowboys (getting something in return).

If they wanted Watkins as well, sure why not?

He's likely to be cut this year anyway.
  12. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Never see's the field?

He has over 800 yards, averaged over 5 yards per carry, and has scored 5tds in his two years with the team.

He's our best all-around running back, IMO. Why would you trade him for a FS who's numbers have steadily gone down each of his three seasons in the league.

2007 - 5 ints, 11 pd
    2008 - 2 ints, 4 pd
    2009 - 0 ints, 0 pd

As far as I'm concerned, if we traded anything for Nelson, it would have to be like the Barron for Carpenter trade. Meaning, two teams trading (disappointing) players that very well may not make the roster for their current teams anyway.

I'd look at something like maybe . . .

Well, you know, I may be being a homer, but I just looked at our roster and I couldn't find a player that I'd right now trade for Nelson.

That said, I really like all three of our pups (Church, Hamlin, and AOA -- even though I don't expect Church or AOA to make a non-special teams impact this year).
  13. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    Tashard Choice could start for most teams in the league, hell many would argue he should be our starting running back. Reggie Nelson should be a top 5 safety in the league, but the truth is he's average in coverage and a poor tackler. I mean really, how many Jags games have you caught over the last 2 years?..Why bring him in when we already have 5 safeties? and in turn giving up one our best players and leaders at that? I'd rather see what we have in an unproven Ball/Hamlin/AOA than pick up a proven scrub
  14. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about trading Choice for Ken Hamlin? He was 3 year starting FS who just two seasons ago had 5 INT's and 15 passes defended with Wade Phillips as his coach who's only 29 years old.

Choice could have the chance to take Barber's place if Barber is released after this year, not to mention the depth he brings us this year. You don't trade that for a declining safety.
  15. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I thought we were over this? LOL, I think we should just go with Ball, Hamlin and AOA.

I don't want to give up Choice, this is going to be a long season and I believe that TC will be a valuable piece this season. Our 1st and 2nd backs have been known to go down and TC is a very good back up and insurance policy in case that happens.

How are we ever going to know what Ball, Hamlin and AOA are capable of if we don't let them hit the field and play. I say no to Nelson and lets move on.
  16. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I feel Ball can do the job. I don't think his playing Safety will prevent this team from winning. We also have some young guys in Hamlin and AOA that I would just as soon have the coaches work with and develop.
  18. Idgit

31,895 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    Now, that's funny.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'd take a dump in a bucket and trade that for Nelson.
  20. Idgit

31,895 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    Two dumps, in a nice bucket, or it's not even worth considering.