1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Autopsy: Dallas Cowboy Jerry Brown Jr.’s blood alcohol level just below legal driving

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jan 3, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys practice squad player Jerry Brown Jr.’s blood alcohol level was just below the legal driving limit around the time he was killed last month in an Irving car wreck in which his best friend and teammate was driving, according to Brown’s autopsy report.

The report says Brown’s blood alcohol content was 0.079. The legal limit in Texas is 0.08.

Josh Brent was driving the car at the time of the Dec. 8 wreck and his blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit. He was indicted last month on a charge of intoxication manslaughter in the death.

The autopsy found that Brown died of blunt force injuries of the head and neck. His death was ruled an accident.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/201...h.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    749 Likes Received
    So what's the point? Jerry should have driven? (Btw I'm not trying to be insensitive here on anything so please do not misconstrue).
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    He was legally sober so it depends on how you look at it. A couple alternatives: 1) Jerry Brown wasnt so drunk that maybe he could have realized not to ride with Brent. 2) Maybe Brown should have driven though he was he was barely under the limit himself.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,464 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    Although he was much less likely to cause an accident because he wasn't "that" drunk, he still would have been indicted had he crashed and killed someone with any alcohol in his system. You're not automatically off the hook because you weren't at or above the legal limit. Also, you could say that he should have known better since he wasn't technically drunk, but many people can hold their liquor fine. He was drunk enough to not notice that Brent was that drunk. I know people who can be s**t faced and you wouldn't even noticed they had a sip of alcohol.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Personally, for me, it's all in the past and I don't really feel like hearing about it anymore. It doesn't impact my life like it did to the mother of Jerry Brown and Josh Brent. Jerry's mother said to forgive Josh Brent so that's where it ends. They both made a big mistake. Josh Brent made the bigger mistake and is going to pay for it now. Done.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    749 Likes Received
    What's crazy is a Fort Worth DWI Enforcement Officer was arreseted this week in Westlake just up the road from me for a DWI!!!

I've known lots of cops and we use to go out all the time in our younger years and they all drove home drunk. One of my best friends was the officer of the year for his department like 3-4 times and he would always drive. Crazy!
  7. JoeyBoy718

3,464 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    I live in a kinda nice, wealthy small community in Miami. It's like a 2 square mile town full of mainly people who migrated from up north, work in fishing/boating, and surprisingly a lot of cops live here as well. So I know personally like 10 cops who live within a few blocks of me. Needless to say, I see them off-duty all the time getting sauced up at the local restaurants and driving home.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,685 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    Well yea, they get pulled over and just get let go because its their buddy.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,947 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Both of them should have taken a taxi home.
  10. kjcmeb

kjcmeb Active Member

100 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    What the heck???

Why wasn't he driving? Senseless.

Per NFL Stats - Autopsy shows that Jerry Brown was sober when killed in car crash
  11. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think that your title is misleading. Wasn't his BAC .079? Being under the legal limit and being sober are two different things.

Craig
  12. kjcmeb

kjcmeb Active Member

100 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    read the rest: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/03/autopsy-determines-dallas-cowboys-players-cause-of-death/

(CBSDFW.COM) – The Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office has completed and released the autopsy results on Dallas Cowboys practice squad member Jerry Brown Jr., who was killed in a December 8 crash along Highway 114 in Irving.

Brown, 25, was a passenger in the car that teammate Josh Brent was driving. Brent has been charged with Intoxication Manslaughter.

Police say Brent was speeding when his car hit a curb, flipped and came to rest upside-down.

The medical examiner’s report details Jerry Brown’s condition, noting abrasions on the right and left forehead and a cut on his left eyebrow. Toxicology results show that Brown was not legally intoxicated and had a blood alcohol level of 0.056 — well below the legal limit of 0.08. While Brown had no skull fractures, the report found his neck had been dislocated and spinal cord severely bruised.

The report ultimately concluded that Jerry Brown’s death was a result of “blunt force injuries of the head and neck.”
  13. JoeyBoy718

3,464 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    Please don't make such a misleading thread about the deceased. He blew a .079 while the legal limit is .08. He was basically legally drunk. He was half as drunk as Josh Brent.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Just read that.

So he got in a car with a drunk driver and didn't bother to fasten his seatbelt.

He should have been driving. And they both should have fastened their seatbelts.
  15. kjcmeb

kjcmeb Active Member

100 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Toxicology results show that Brown was not legally intoxicated and had a blood alcohol level of 0.056 — well below the legal limit of 0.08.

16. JoeyBoy718

3,464 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    Another report said he blew a .079. I don't trust multiple reports stating different information. Happens all the time in journalism. The point is he wasn't totally sober. If he did blow a .079 that means he was basically drunk. Plus, I'm not a toxicologist but I imagine it was taken hours after he had his last drink. That means that by the time he got in the vehicle he may have been legally drunk. I'm still not excusing his actions. I'm just saying I doubt he was clearly sober.
  17. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't blow a .079 that I remember reading about. Could be wrong. The .079 was the reading from fluid in his eye taken during the autopsy.

From DMN: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...of-death.html/.
    The report says Brown’s blood alcohol content was 0.079. The legal limit in Texas is 0.08.
    (Clarification: The reading directly from Brown’s blood was actually even lower, at 0.056.
    The 0.079 reading was from fluid in his eye, which is commonly taken during Dallas
    autopsies and is normally higher in blood alcohol content than the blood sample.)
    So JB Jr's BAC was .056 when the reading was taken directly from his blood.

Just such sad story all the way 'round.
  18. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,610 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    He didn't "blow" anything. It's from the blood draw. Remember, he was dead?
  19. demdcowboys#1

demdcowboys#1 New Member

1,453 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WOW!

Continue reading...
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8811205
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,138 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    he was under the influence of alcohol

IF he had a blood level of .00 then he would be completely sober. He was not.

.056 is LEGALLY sober but certainly not medically sober