1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Average draft According to Gosselin

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rwalters31, May 1, 2012.

1. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    My problem with Goose is hypocrisy. He constantly chirps that "blue chip" players are what wins in the NFL and the 'Boys jump up and get one and he doesn't like that either.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,671 Messages
    9,900 Likes Received
    I'll take 8 backups.
  3. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,110 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    in time and see how " the Goose' " theory worked under Jimmah Jenius:

1989 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
    13 picks = 1 starter - Darryl Johnston

1990 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
    4 picks = ZERO starters

1991 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
    15 picks = 1 starter - Larry Brown

1992 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
    13 picks = ZERO starters

1993 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
    13 picks - 1 starter - Darrin Smith

5 years, 58 picks, 3 rookie starters in round 2nd - 12th.
  4. Randy White

6,110 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    back to last year and find out how many players that started at least 1 game were picked from the 2nd round until the 7th round

2011 Draft

2nd rnd = 11 out of 32 picks
    ( Andy Dalton, Jabaal Sheard, Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Titus Young, Orlando Franklin, Lance Kendricks, Stefen Wisniewski, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, Marcus Gilbert )

3rd rnd = 7 out 33 picks
    ( Terrel McClain, Kelvin Sheppard, Justin Houston, John Moffitt, Jerrell Casey, Mason Foster, Chris Conte )

4th rnd = 4 out of 34 picks
    ( K.J. Wright, Sam Acho, Luke Stocker, Quinton Carter )

5th rnd = 4 out of 34 picks
    ( DJ Williams, Denarius Moore, Jason Pinkston, Richard Sherman, )

6th rnd = 3 out 38 picks
    ( Charles Clay, Jason Kelce, Brian Rolle )

7th rnd = 0 out 51 picks

That's a grand total of 29 starters out of 222 players selected between the 2nd and 7th rounds.

Another miss for " the Goose ".
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Butler is a guy alot of us liked after TC last year, but alot of us were also suprised that despite our DB struggles and injuries last season he never was given a shot to come up and get any game time.
  6. Randy White

6,110 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    the " goose " would sputter, " 2011 draft was an anamoly. "

Ok, let's do the 2010 draft and find out how many players drafted from the 2nd rnd to the 7th rnd had at least 1 start:

2010 NFL draft

2nd rnd = 18 out 32 draft picks

3rd rnd = 14 out of 33 draft picks

4th rnd = 6 out 33 picks

5th rnd = 7 out 38 picks

6th rnd = 2 out 38 picks

7th rnd = 4 out of 48 picks

A grand total of 51 starters out of 222 players selected between the 2nd and 7th rounds.
  7. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,065 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Good point. Of course, if we would just release Spears, Coleman, Hatcher, Spencer, Butler, Sensabaugh, Austin, Witten, Phillips, Connor and Carter, our 2012 draft will be FANTASTIC! Look, Goose, seven rookie starters in one draft!!!
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,084 Messages
    3,061 Likes Received
    :bow:
  9. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    1 out of 4 aint bad tbh.
  10. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Last week, several people bemoaned the fact that the DMN had changed Gosselin's assigment to add baseball and basketball responsibilities. While I miss his Final Mock and, especially, his Top 100 Prospects, we are perhaps better off having fewer instances of his ill-conceived NFL analysis.

Are there no good writers in the entire DFW Metroplex? :bang2:

If anyone knows of any, let me know, because I gave up looking some time ago. I get more (and better) information spending an hour here (and at Rafael Vela's and Bob Sturm's sites), than I would spending a day scouring the media outlets.
  11. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,478 Messages
    2,897 Likes Received
    SDogo laying the smack down on Hammer!!!!!

:lmao2:
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    If you think it's bad here, keep in mind that the SportDay pages of the DMN have, over time, dominated the writers awards nationally.
    I'd hate to see what most sports columns look like
  13. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

704 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    To further your points, Goose was on with Norm earlier this week and shortly after panning our draft, especially the later round picks, he admitted he wasn't very familiar with any player outside the top 75 or so. How can he be critical about something he admits he has little knowledge of? Ridiculous.
  14. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, if you look at the analyst of the 2005 - 2009 Drafts yeah, our Scouting Department is alot better than MOST NFL teams at finding guys that can play in the NFL.....
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,992 Messages
    4,513 Likes Received
    All he said was it was an average class which is a little bit of praise coming from him and we probably only got one starter from the draft which is probably true. What I don't agree with is the lack of mention of losing a 2nd rounder to move up to take the best defensive player of the draft which of course hurt our chances of gaining an early starter (potentially). I also don't agree with the philosophy of drafting starters. I think you draft the BPA with need in mind in hopes of building the depth and increasing the overall talent level of the team. Drafting for starters sounds like drafting for need which can be problematic.

Don't know what all the hoopla is other than we really really get to talk more. You don't know for sure what you have for 2-4 years anyway.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Can't argue with some of your picks, but Johnson is very, very athletic. We'll see about both of your projected busts.
  17. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Hey, I agree.. Parcells knows talent.
  18. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,934 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    If I was an up and coming sports reporter wanting to make a name for myself I would find a job in Dallas. Listening to those interviews of our draftees was painful.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,280 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    I listened to some of Ttron Crawford's press interview and it was shameful. At one point someone asks him about his experience at the Senior Bowl and he corrects them and says I wasn't at the senior bowl, I was at East/West.

The idiot that asks the question starts snickering and saying sorry in this really obnoxious way and some of the press are heard snickering as well like a bunch of fools. You have to listen to t to get why it's so obnoxious, even beyond the fact that the guys asking them questions know almost nothing about him.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    That's terrible.

I heard thefan off the warroom cam on draft night after they took Caleb McSurdy and while they were trying to get a hold of McSurdy on the phone they were discussing the pick and because they had never heard of him they were calling him a camp body and such, and he ended up being on the phone as they were talking. Mickey Spagnola was the main culprit I believe and he even mentioned after the phone call that he got nothing but one word answers after that.