1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Avezzano Says The Block Was Witten's Fault...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CaptainAmerica, Nov 5, 2006.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    ...I think most have come to this conclusion but since Columbo was being blamed by some, I saw this on another board...

Former SPECIAL TEAMS COACH, Joe Avezzano just said on Hansen, that for the field goal attempt the outside wingman, in this case Jason Witten, should block DOWN and let the outside rusher go, because he can't get to it. The COACH said it.

It's simple geometry - the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, so if you make a guy go the long way, he won't make the play.

WITTEN should have blocked down!

It should be interesting to hear Parcells' take on it tomorrow.
  2. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess that means that Colombo's responsibility was to step inside and give us a double layer of blockers on the inside.

Hell if Colombo stands there like a statue (like the guys ont he right side of the line did)... the kick is away cleanly.

Sorry Avezanno, I don't buy it.
  3. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,455 Messages
    419 Likes Received
    God I hate losing a cheap way.
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Parcells take, "I have not yet seen the film"
  5. LowTech

LowTech the most important member

1,800 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :chainsaw:

I want to rip someones face off.
  6. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    5 minutes after the game he said that... I guess its not believable to think that he had reviewed the film of the game in 5 minutes huh?
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    hey, what happened to Rambo relieving the tension? :)
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Anyone that has ever played on a FG team EVER before knows this already. You block DOWN, always. Period.

Doesn't matter what you "buy", that's the way it's done. Period. Everyone blocks down, and the only guys that have a chance to get it are the outside guys. 999 out of 1000 times they will NOT get it.

Witten screwed up, plain and simple. Anyone that's ever played on the FG team KNOWS this.
  9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,386 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't get all this, it was Witten's job to block down stuff. I would understand it if what Colombo did made any sense. Are people trying to say that the "design" blocking scheme is to let one guy go completely free on the outside, Witten to block down, and Colombo to go hump his neighbor lineman and block nobody? Wouldn't having a man on each defender make a little more sense? Maybe Witten didn't block down because uh...Colombo was there...at least until he became useless when he ducked off to the right. Yeah, if Witten was the only one there he should block down, but he wasn't, Colombo was there in position for the inside guy...but he ran away.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Really this is just another in a long and growing list of special teams blunders for the Cowboys. For all his talking and drafting for special teams BP hasn't solved all the special teams issues yet either. This crap today was just plain stupid.
  11. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    My point was it will be his comment tomorow and Tuesday as well. It's his response to all those questions
  12. ghosttown cowboy

ghosttown cowboy Wyoming's #1 boys fan

873 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Why did he fire Avezzano?
  13. Munchis

Munchis New Member

245 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Witten = Overrated

I would have rather spent money on oline than resign witten. We could have focused on a true 3 wide set with one TE (Fasano).

Munchis....Out!!
  14. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean to tell me that the guy on the left side of the line is suppose to take a full step inside to be directly BEHIND the 2 guys to the inside of him?

That bull. Anyone that's ever played on the FG team knows that you KEEP YOUR FEET PLANTED and hold your ground. All you're suppose to do is lean toward the inside... not take a FULL STEP to the inside to where your BEHIND your own guys!

Witten kept his feet planted the ENTIRE play and all he did was reach over and redirect the guy running around the outside. Colombo MOVED completely to the inside and left a WIDE hole for Vincent to run thru.

All Colombo had to do was keep his feet planted and STAND THERE!!!
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    You've obviously never played on the FG team.

EVERYONE is suppose to block down to prevent any defender from getting through the gaps.

The wingmen take a step inside with their inside legs, and a step back (and towards the kicker) with their outside legs. Their main responsibility is to NOT let anyone get inside of them, but they are also suppose to get a "punch" on the outside guy just to slow him down a little bit. Odds are even w/o the punch that guy will never get the block, but the "punch" just slows him down a few thousandsths of a second, decreasing their odds of blocking it just a bit more.

Again, anyone that has ever played on the FG team KNOWS this.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received

You couldn't be more WRONG. And you've obviously never played on a FG team. You take a step inside and hold your ground. Period.
  17. SBChamps

SBChamps New Member

87 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:I saw the same thing and wondered who the heck is Columbo trying to double team?
  18. ghosttown cowboy

ghosttown cowboy Wyoming's #1 boys fan

873 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You always take care of the inside first. period.
  19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,386 Messages
    463 Likes Received

So 2 lineman back to back (since this is apparently what Colombo is supposed to do) is supposed to prevent people getting through gaps? Seems like it creates about the biggest gaps possible.
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't understand. Witten's been on FG duty all year. Why would he suddenly not block down? It's academic.