1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Awesome write-up on Roger Staubach

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CowboyPrincess, Dec 15, 2004.

1. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I got my 50 Greatest QB’s in NFL History magazine yesterday from the Sporting News site. Had a few great pics of Roger and Troy. Especially the pic on the cover. I typed out the write up on Roger (I've got the blisters on my fingertips to prove it..:)) because I thought y’all might enjoy it and would like something positive to read after a couple of very negative days. I also typed up the football related answers to questions posed to him… I know this will end up moved to the history zone, but seeing as not many have made it over there yet, I wanted to make sure as many Roger fans as possible would get to see it before it made it’s home over on that forum…. Enjoy

BTW... Roger was picked #9 on the greatest 50, and Troy was picked #12
    Princess…[IMG]

2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I was too young to truly appreciate Roger Staubach. But I did get to catch him in Super Bowl 13. I saw him alittle bit the next season, and then he retired. I was too young to understand.

For those who were able to follow Roger's career, I can't tell you how blessed you are.
  3. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Benched

444 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lets hear the write up on Troy. The BEST QB in Cowboys history.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Kudos, what a trooper. Thanks for the effort. Great read.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    This is a thread dedicated to Roger Staubach. Why even start a war or debate about who's the BEST QB in Cowboys history??? That debate will never end, so why even bother???
  6. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received

This one I hope stays on topic... Roger was the greatest in my opinion and I wrote this up on him, not Troy

The write up on Troy wasn't nearly as extensive because he wasn't in the top 10 of the list, but I will type it up just the same when I can feel my fingers again... Just got in from scraping ice off my car.. it's in the 20's here... burrrr
  7. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Benched

444 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because she mentioned Troy was in the magazine as well and if we're gonna hear about the 2nd best Cowboys QB why not hear about the 1st.

Thats why!

so....

Eddie :shoot2:
  8. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

you sure did miss something special Eddie. And so did Quicksilver, if he really thinks Aikman was better than Staubach.
  9. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Benched

444 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    mucho gracias!
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't want to continue and Aikman Vs. Staubach thing here but here is my 2 cents. Roger had great success with different cast members. Different RBs, different Olines and different wrs and TEs. Aikman pretty much had the same talent around him.
  11. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Thank you for taking the time to put this up. As you can tell from my user name and avatar, I'm a huge Staubach fan. In 1971 when he took over the reigns at qb, the Cowboys were "the team that can't win the big one", then when he retired at the end of the '79 season, we were 2 time SB Champs and known as "America's Team". Roger was more responsible for that than any other player, imo.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,282 Messages
    1,753 Likes Received
    The main thing I will always remember about Staubach is how competitive he was. He once said in an interview with Phyllis George that it did not matter if he was playing a game of pick up basketball or a game of jacks he was going to do what ever he could to win. He also said he was not a bad sport but did not like shaking the hand of the enemy which he considered to be any team he was up against saying there is plenty of time for hand shaking when the season was done.
  13. SoTex

SoTex Giddy Up

1,136 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting story and thanks for the write up CP. Roger is one of the main reasons I took an interest in sports as a kid. A great player and a class act.
  14. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. I had more respect and admiration for Roger and Tom than any member of the Cowboys ever.. Without them, there would have been no "America's Team". And the Cowboys wouldn't be what they are today without them.. the most loved and hated team in the NFL. And I would have never been the fan I am today without them.

IMO Roger was the classiest, most professional, and most under appreciated QB in NFL history. If the 50 greatest were not done on stats alone, and were done on how a QB was on and off the field and how they presented themselves as a role model and human being, Roger would be #1 on my list.. You just can't do any better than that man where athletes are concerned. And there will NEVER be another QB/player in the Cowboys Organization, let alone the NFL, that can put themself in the same catagory as he. Troy is close, but Roger is the man, the original, THE "Captain America".
  15. Dye

Dye New Member

220 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hey princess - thanks for typing all that out. a lot of us really appreciate reading about the legendary "number 12" who many of us believe was the best.

i still remember the superbowl against the miami dolphins - man, that marked the beginning of a lineage of championships!
  16. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Thanks for typing that Princess, much appreciated. Roger was the reason I started following football and following the Cowboys. In my eyes, the guy had a red cape with an S on it hanging in his locker room. When I was in college I started collecting autographs of Cowboy players on their trading cards. I read an article that said Roger owned a real estate business in Houston. So one night I called Houston information and found a listing for his company, so I called it. I got put through to his secretary. I asked her did Roger really own the company and come to work there. She said he did, that he was there everyday. I asked her if I sent him a card in the mail, would he sign it and send it back. She told me he gets alot of mail, but that he does read all of it and that she was pretty sure he would sign it. So I sent it, and it was returned with his signature in the same condition that I sent it in. That really made my day when I got it back. Roger can be summed up in one word...class.

Also, I believe that Washington game was in 1978 or 1979. Because I think he played only 1 more game, the playoff loss to the Rams. Can anyone guess who his last pass was to?

Jake
  17. OLDSCHOOL

OLDSCHOOL New Member

242 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Roger is the best QB in Cowboys history. You are porbably basing it off of the Superbowls or the stats.
    I'm basing it off of what I saw of both of them. I saw Roger and I saw Troy their whole careers here, Troy does not come close to the things that Roger did, in my eyes.
  18. SoTex

SoTex Giddy Up

1,136 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Herb Scott...........
  19. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Princess, You said it all!

A few years ago I was able to get my hands on several old Cowboy game tapes from the original tv broadcast. After watching those tapes, I can tell you why Roger is undervalued by today's standards. The game was totally different. It was a run-oriented game back in those days. The reason Roger had so many miraculous comebacks is in large part due to the fact that Landry called such a conservative game, (as he wanted to do, based on how good his defense was), and it wasn't until the Boys got behind that Landry took the shackles off and let Staubach go at it through the air.

The commentaters on those broadcasts,(Summerall and Brookshier) had the greatest respect for Roger and commented several times that he was the leading QB as far as passing rating, for several years. It was neat to listen to the broadcasts again. Brookshier always called him by his first name, "Roger", as if they were close personal friends.

I will go to my grave believing if Roger played in today's game, with it's emphasis on the pass, he would do everything today's top qbs are doing. He deserves to be considered as one of the top qbs of all time.

One final point...there is only one player, IN HISTORY, to win the Heisman Trophy as a qb and to be elected to the Pro Football HOF as a qb and his name is...Roger Staubach! 'Nuff said! :)
  20. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really don't rember.. without going and looking it up, the only Cowboys that come to mind are Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, Tony Hill or Billy Joe Dupree..

It would be awesome if it were Drew because of the Hail Mary..