1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Back in the 1970s, did DFW people care more about the Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Red Dragon, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,847 Messages
    1,647 Likes Received
    Because the two of you know the opinions of everyone else in the DFW area .. or is it that you know XX (insert randomly picked number large enough to make it sound like it matters) people in the DFW area who think exactly like you do? :D Always love to hear that one .. :lmao2: :lmao:

/reality
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,847 Messages
    1,647 Likes Received
    It really comes down to winning. Fans these days have short attention spans. We as a society like winners and anything else is an after thought. In the South, I never saw a single Patriots jersey or even heard anyone claim to be a fan before Tom Brady won his first Super Bowl. I never saw any Baltimore Ravens jerseys, hats, etc. on people either but I have seen several since they won the Super Bowl.

The moment the Cowboys go deep in the playoffs again, fans will come out of the cracks again .. after they put away their Brady, Manning, Flacco, etc. jerseys of course.

/reality
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,379 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    I see you conveniently left out the corrected stats.
  4. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,389 Messages
    963 Likes Received
    I recently did some work with a company that sells high end silk carpets from Turkey. The guys had heavy accents and have only been here for a year. One of them wore a Cowboys star hat every day and the other one had a Cowboy license plate that they bought before coming here and make no mistake - they knew their stuff.

That is an example of how different things are today.

5. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    the point was to compare the height of cowboys success and mania with the team's recent disappointments, not to rate the success of the franchise over the entirety of its existence.

of course, the early 90s run was epic. and the early 60s were a struggle. but that 20-year run of winning records is what made the cowboys america's team, and the ignoble end of landry's career did not undo it.

similarly, the brilliant stretch of success that the team enjoyed in the first half of the 90s was all too brief, and the mediocrity that has troubled the team since then has been so long that it no longer offers much joy.

...i do hope, though, to some day contribute to a thread asking for a comparison of the mid-60s to mid-80s teams and the early 90s teams with the dynasty of the mid-2010s.

:D
  6. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received

Nice bit or reality there reality.
  7. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    The Cowboys were as loved if not more so in the 70's than the 90's. I grew up in the Bay Area during the 70's, everyone either liked the Cowboys, or Raiders. Some Rams fans would pop up here and there. In the 80's a bunch of Raiders fans turned into 49ers fans. I never met a 49er fan in the 70's.
  8. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,883 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    I'm not from DFW and I know it's not the same.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,379 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Well, that's fair enough and I would agree the drought has been too long. I'm worrying I'll never live to see another SB win by the Boys. And I'm not under any illusion we've had a coach the likes of Landry and maybe we never will. Long ago I wondered if we would win it all this year and if not who would beat us in the CC game. Now I wonder if we will make the playoffs. That's a far cry from the 'good ole days'. And yes Jerry has mucked it up but he's gotten better since he brought Parcells here. So there is hope for us all esp us 'old timers'.
  10. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,064 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    I don't know that he has drained it numerically as much as he has drained it qualitatively. There are still a ton of fans but most of them now days fall into the blind, ignorant, low information fan or the north Dallas rich crowd who has nothing better to do with their money so they buy tickets and stuff but are really not true fans. I'd say the true blue collar salt of the earth type fans, while remaining a fan of the franchise, are mainly disenfranchised with what Jerry has done to the fan base and are waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for the time when Jerry moves on and hoping that his son who will inherent his dictatorial thrown will either be better than Jerry or sell/lose the team.