1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Backup QB.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by StevenOtero, Nov 24, 2006.

1. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,339 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    Since Drew is more than likely gone, and most of us want him to be gone. I'd like to hear some of your ideas for a backup QB.
  2. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Matt Baker's probably in the plans for at least the mini camps and TC. If he'll be able to stick around after that, who knows.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Wright brought back. Anyone know what his current situation is?
  3. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,631 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Draft one and sign a vet such as Jon Kitna or Kerry Collins.
  4. Darkhound

Darkhound New Member

475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think we will get Simms. Or an idea would be a good tested backup QB like, Kitna, Plummer, or even call me crazy but I dont see David Carr lasting that long, he has has alot of time and proven few/.
  5. cowboys19

cowboys19 New Member

1,577 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kurt Warner next year?

Just a thought
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Still like the idea of Billy Volke. I think Palmer might be a good vet guy assuming he'd be willing to back up. I've always thought that if Carter could get his stuff together and would be willing to be a back up as opposed to a problem, he'd make a good back up QB in the NFL.
  7. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Kerry Collins is done. Carr's definitely worthy of starting somewhere. Plummer would be ideal, but he's going to want to start. Kitna's paid his dues, and though he would also make a good #2, I would like to see his hard work and perserverance pay off w/ a starting job somewhere.
  8. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,649 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    It is too bad Bledsoe will not want to stick around because IMO he is what we need. A former quality starting NFL QB on the downside of his career who could still provide leadership while scooping up a ring.
  9. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Volek's a good one too.
  10. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,385 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    i don't think the lions are going to be letting kitna go with no other qb. even if they draft one you need a vet. plummer may get released and could be an option. collins is another bledsoe, might as well keep bledsoe over collins.
  11. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,884 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    I like Plummer as a backup..BTW/ It wouldn't hurt to draft one in the mid to late rounds and groom him for the next several years as well.
  12. StevenOtero

6,339 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    If Bledsoe wants to stay, I don't see why we wouldn't keep him. He doesn't seem like he wants the back up role IMHO.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,350 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
    I like the idea of Volek.

And I like the idea of picking up a Romo "clone" somewhere in the 2nd day. Someone that has done well at a lower level. A guy that is a good QB first and not necessarily a good athlete. He must have worked within a pro-style offense and displayed good accuracy just like Romo did.
  14. StevenOtero

6,339 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    I agree.
    Haha the Heat Miser!!! your avatar is sweet
  15. Darkhound

Darkhound New Member

475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thinking a bit, here are the options I would like. No particular order.

1. Plummer - His best days are gone, and depending on how good or bad the new QB does (cutler sp?) If he does well, the exit of Plummer from Denver will be inminent. Given that, I think he will definatley have some choices as a starter, for below average teams. But then again, he could be a very good Backup for Tony.

2. Kitna - Same as Plummer, he had his chance, and was never outstanding. He wont get as many chances to start again.

3. Simms, I think this guy is just overly rated by his name. He is not that good, and I think he falls under the ranks of Beaulane!

Those are my top 3 pics
  16. StevenOtero

6,339 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    I also agree with you. If it was my way I'd take Simms.
  17. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Who's Beaulane?
  18. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Simms is going to want to start and some teams will give him that opportunity.
  19. Darkhound

Darkhound New Member

475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My bad... i mean Steve Beaurlane (sp)
  20. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think Beuerlein was underrated as a starter. He put up some decent numbers when given the chance.