1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bad call in Super Bowl

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Feb 3, 2014.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,340 Likes Received
    There was a receiver there, so it doesn't have to reach the line of scrimmage. That's the rule.

The line of scrimmage comes into the play when the QB is throwing the ball away to no one outside the pocket.
  2. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

352 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I believe there was a TE within a couple yards of the imcompletion.
  3. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,930 Messages
    479 Likes Received
    The bad call was the non PI call on Earl Thomas towards the end of the second quarter. At that point the Broncos were in the game and it was a real momentum killer. Lest you think they were letting the DBs play and calling it the same both ways, Denver did get called for PI in the end zone on a third and goal which gave the Seahawks a touchdown instead of another field goal.
  4. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Intentional grounding is one of those penalties that needs simplifying. If he's out of the box, in the box, yada yada yada. There are too many rules that are too conditional to the situation. Either he threw it to avoid a sack or he didn't.
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received

Apologies for the low quality, but here's the screen grab.

Intended receiver, Kellen Davis marked.
    [IMG]

It's really tough to synchronize when the ball lands with my choppy work connection, so the ball is still in the air. Since the quality is poor, I put a yellow dot under the football.

It actually lands right on the 45 yard marker. Kellen Davis ends up closer to the line of scrimmage, and the ball lands about 2 yards from him before bouncing into his hands.
    [IMG]
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    Nice work...........clearly the receiver is close enough to the ball to avoid a flag.
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,482 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received

[IMG]
  8. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    I thought that happened when it was still 15-0, but it was actually 22-0 at that time. Still they missed the call.

If Earl Thomas had've been there already, then he's entitled to that space, but he meets Julius Thomas there and impedes him, not even playing the ball. Missed call there.

Don't think it would've affected the game that much, but you cannot miss something that obvious. Honestly, I thought it was more blatant than the one called on Denver that led to the TD.
  9. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Excuse makers never cease to amaze me.

Broncos lose by 35 points and there are people here talking about bad calls, lolol. Get real
    theSHOW and casmith07 like this.
  10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,381 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    A lot of replays of Seattle's coverage included holding and illegal contact. Not sure if the same is true of Denver because coverage wasn't much of an issue really and they didn't show much.
  11. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    What part of "it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game" did you not understand? No one's making excuses for the Broncos. We're just talking about one play in the game and whether it should have been grounding.

Thanks for the screen shot. This clears it up. I stand corrected. It was a good non-call after all. At the time, I didn't think a receiver was close enough, but clearly one was.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    Denver looked intimidated, maybe being physical with them got in their heads.
  13. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,930 Messages
    479 Likes Received
    Exactly, those two plays add up to an 11 point swing. Three points instead of seven for Seattle and possibly seven points for Denver. 18-7 would have been a lot more manageable going into the third quarter.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    Yeah, he was close enough.
    Good stuff.
  15. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,199 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    if the receiver would have made any effort whatsoever to fight through the contact he probably would have gotten the call.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Well explained...
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Doesn't matter if he was close or not, Wilson was out of the pocket.
  18. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,728 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Right, but if there hadn't been a receiver close enough, it would have been grounding, because it didn't get back to the LOS.