1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bad Defense. Does this make sense to you?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by eduncan22, Jan 1, 2007.

1. eduncan22

eduncan22 Benched

2,384 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can anyone explain to me why A Glenn is matched up against Roy Williams in this play?

The resulting play is a TD.

[IMG]

A Glenn can't cover Roy Williams.
  2. DipChit

DipChit New Member

1,594 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty creepy.

And Glenn should've just molested him once RY got to the spot. Even with the PI call and the ball at the 1 there would've only been 2 or 3 seconds left forcing then to kick the FG afterall.. or go for it.

Course I'm sure they would've went for it and prolly just called the same play again anyhow. ;)
  3. eduncan22

eduncan22 Benched

2,384 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The resulting TD...

[IMG]

Get rid of Glenn.
  4. Deputy493

Deputy493 New Member

485 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why was Williams not double teamed there? Meaning the safety shown on the same side of the field, where did he go because he certainly did not roll the way of Williams? Did he go to double team the TE with the LB?
  5. eduncan22

eduncan22 Benched

2,384 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its a fade route the corner.

Difficult to get safety help on that play.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,867 Messages
    2,645 Likes Received
    Coaching ineptness.
  7. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,019 Messages
    264 Likes Received
    B/c Newman was on Furrey... he's the REAL threat apparently
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,367 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Coaches Zimmer and Parcells: "Because that's how we do it...we always line up that way...he plays that side...we don't flip-flop guys...it's never been a problem till now...don't know what the problem was...we'll have to watch the tape and look at that...I'm focused on this week, I don't have time to dwell on last week's game...please don't ask such specific questions when I'm so depressed and upset, can't you see I'm an old man and pity me?"

I'll add that A.Glenn played the fade route perfectly, but that's why Kitna lobbed the ball inside and let Roy come back and get it with Glenn trapped behind him looking for the fade. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone, including TNew could have covered the expected fade and still stopped the Kitna throw...Newman couldn't even cover the basic corner route to Mike Williams yesterday.
  9. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,588 Messages
    958 Likes Received

I have 2 questions about this...

1. Why wasnt TNEW on him?
    2. Why dont we see this play setup for TO?
  10. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,517 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Actually there are several teams that do this in nickel situations. The theory is that you take your best cb and put him in single coverage vs the slot receiver, thereby freeing up the safeties to either blitz or double cover the outside guys.

I agree, however, that leaving Glenn in single coverage in that situation probably wasn't a good idea. :(
  11. DipChit

DipChit New Member

1,594 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I think a person has to give Kitna a lil credit on 3 of those TD passes actually.

Yeah I know he's a pro QB yada yada, but those were perfectly placed balls. It's not like we dont see other QB's under throw, over throw, put them out too wide.. whatever, fairly often.
  12. Fernando Fernandez

Fernando Fernandez New Member

579 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    my sentiments exactly
  13. eduncan22

eduncan22 Benched

2,384 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do they really think A Glenn can cover Roy Williams?

Really?
  14. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,367 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    On our last series of 4 plays I would have been happy to see a single play or pass that at least had a chance.

No one's talking about it because our defense was so bad, but we ran 4 plays down there and never even gave anyone a single chance to make a play...we never threw a pass that was touched by an offensive or defensive player...it was a horrible and embarrassing series.
  15. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    does anyone think we have a corner that could have covered that play?
    i don't.
  16. eduncan22

eduncan22 Benched

2,384 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Instead of playing off Williams, Glenn needs to play tight cover on him.

The Safety needs to roll his coverage, and give Glenn some help over the top.

This play never would have happened.
  17. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    This crap reminds me of when Switzer was here.
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,673 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    No, it reminds me of Campo.

Very much like assigning Kareem Larrimore and Dwayne Goodrich to Terrell Owens and expecting success.
  19. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    i thought a. glenn was actually playing the best corner on the team until recently. IMO henry just plain sux, and t-new is average. i know a lot of you think he's the second coming of neon deon, but there's a reason he doesn't get picks. he's been burned as much as anyone lately.
  20. cowboy4eva

cowboy4eva New Member

353 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Newman is the slot CB, Henry was on his side and Glenn was on his side. The Lions took advantage of that, knowing Glenn would be on that side.