1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bad To The Bone Mock and FA Plan

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Oh_Canada, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    FA

Re-sign Holland, Elam, Fiametta, Robinson, Spencer

Cut-Newman, Buehler, Coleman

Additions

1.Dan Connolly, C-I'll beat this drum until he re-signs with the Pats or is on the Cowboys roster. Extremely versatile interior lineman who replaced Koppen and did it well at center. I'm convinced he would be a major upgrade over Costa and a top half center in the league. 3yrs-12mill

2.Terrell Thomas, CB-Was a very good corner before getting hurt. Should be close to 100% by TC. 2ys-10mill

3.Paul Solali, NT-Massive nose tackle....'nuff said. 4yrs-24mill

4.Kendall Langford, DE-Young developing defensive end who will be another victim of 'Phins move to the 3-4. Will be a major upgrade over Coleman. 5yrs-20mill.

Draft

1.Whitney Mercilus, OLB-Torn between Cox and this kid. However, it's tough to ignore 16 sacks in a major conference combined with that kind of athletic ability and high motor/character. Anyone who believes that kind of package will be available in the second round is not paying attention.

2.Amini Silatolu, G-Can become a dominant guard with some coaching and a little patience.

3.Josh Norman, CB-By adding Thomas the Cowboys can afford to wait on cornerback. This kid has first round talent, just needs to be cultivated.

4.Derek Wolfe, DE-The front seven continues to be re-built and this guy has all the tools to be a rotational player in his rookie season.

5.Mychal Kendricks-ILB-Projected all over the board, could be a steal. Another high motor kid.

6.Kevin Koger-TE-Played in a non-friendly TE offense. However he has good hands, a willing blocker and a decent frame.

6.Aaron Corp-QB-Developmental QB with ability.

7.Bob Hebert-C/G-Was much better as a center, but was shuffled between positions at LSU...tough kid who is a good pass protector.

Flame away!!
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    So your ILBs will be Lee, Carter, Kendricks and are you keeping Brooking? or James?

Good plan overall, imo.

I think Mercilus could be very good, but I don't know enough about him. He does seem to have the traits you look for in terms of high motor, etc.

Can he bend like a top tier OLB or DE in the pros? I honestly don't know. I prefer Ingram, but I think he'll be gone. I like Cox as well, but you already got us taking a DE in FA, so probably doesn't make sense.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,323 Messages
    4,851 Likes Received
    Good write-up.

I'll give my thoughts below:

Draft

1.Whitney Mercilus, OLB-Torn between Cox and this kid. However, it's tough to ignore 16 sacks in a major conference combined with that kind of athletic ability and high motor/character. Anyone who believes that kind of package will be available in the second round is not paying attention.
    I don't think he will make it to the 2nd, but I think you could trade down into the mid-twenties and still draft him.

2.Amini Silatolu, G-Can become a dominant guard with some coaching and a little patience.
    Looks like he is the best OG after available after the 1st round.

3.Josh Norman, CB-By adding Thomas the Cowboys can afford to wait on cornerback. This kid has first round talent, just needs to be cultivated.
    I like what I've seen from this player, but I thought he would do better at the combine. What was his forty? One site says 4.56 and two other say 4.66.

4.Derek Wolfe, DE-The front seven continues to be re-built and this guy has all the tools to be a rotational player in his rookie season.
    I like this player in the 4th.

5.Mychal Kendricks-ILB-Projected all over the board, could be a steal. Another high motor kid.
    Height is a bit of a concern, but worth a shot in the 5th based on his other attributes.

6.Kevin Koger-TE-Played in a non-friendly TE offense. However he has good hands, a willing blocker and a decent frame.
    Good developmental player.

6.Aaron Corp-QB-Developmental QB with ability.
    Good height at 6-4, 215. Get this guy to the buffet.

7.Bob Hebert-C/G-Was much better as a center, but was shuffled between positions at LSU...tough kid who is a good pass protector.
    Probably goes to the practice squad unless he can beat out Killer in training camp.
  4. Oh_Canada

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind seeing a cheap vet brought in at mlb as well, maybe someone like Barrett Ruud who is better in the 3-4 or even giving Tatapu a shot.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    Like your FA's alot better than your draft.
  6. Oh_Canada

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    That's hurtful. Why don't you like the draft? It's the Hebert pick isn't it?
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,809 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    I like it alot.

Looks alot like my mock draft. Great minds...
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    Not sold on Mercellis and everybody seems a round high except Kendricks who is too low. Dont like Corp at all.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    FA

Re-sign Holland, Elam, Fiametta, Robinson, Spencer
    Elam and Spencer are gonna come down to market values. I am comparing them to everyone else I can pay at their positions.

Cut-Newman, Buehler, Coleman
    No questions here for me.

Additions

1.Dan Connolly, C-
    At your price absolutely!!

2.Terrell Thomas, CB
    I'd rather got for a better player here such as Carr.

3.Paul Solali
    At 24 mil I am in for sure.

4.Kendall Langford, DE
    Not sure I am ready to give this one that type of commitment.

Draft

1.Whitney Mercilus, OLB-
    I think Mercilus makes sense after a small trade down. He and Perry are in that 20 range for me.

2.Amini Silatolu, G

Like this guy a lot but would prefer to get him in lower 2nd round.

3.Josh Norman, CB
    I can't draft a guy running slower 40s than I did who also played lesser competition.

4.Derek Wolfe, DE
    Yup. Have him in most of my mocks to Dallas.

5.Mychal Kendricks-ILB

Not sure he lasts to 5 but I do like him for us. Not a lot of true ILB out there and we need some. If he can play goal line and special team he makes this pick worth it.

6.Kevin Koger-TE

No idea here and don't care enough to research it.

6.Aaron Corp-QB
    Any QB drafted this late probably gets cut so I'd skip them unless I got one earlier. In FA I'd add a proven vet.

7.Bob Hebert-C/G
    Not a fan after hearing his Dad rip Miles a new one.
  10. Oh_Canada

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Appreciate the feedback Terrell...don't like making trades in my mock because no one knows for sure which teams are likely to deal. If there was a deal to move down a few spots I think JJ should entertain. However, I stand by Mercilus....think the guy can be a special player.
    I understand the Norman comment, maybe it was a little high....the rest of his numbers weren't terrible however. Thing I like most about him is that he is tough and can matchup with the Nicks' of the world.

Btw, Gaede you're a smart man.
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would hope we could do better than Elam, but it doesn't sound half bad.
  12. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If I am counting on a corner 12 months from an ACL, I'd like to go with a bigger school corner or an elite athlete from the smaller school. I don't think there is any way Kendricks is there in the 5th.

Wolfe is my favorite pick given the round. I would like to find a slot receiver off of a scrap heap or udfa.

I like the plan overall.