1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Baltimore

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by jem88, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Since watching The Wire and starting to read Homicide: A Year on The Killing Streets, I am obsessed by this city. I must visit at least once in my lifetime. Any Baltimoreans here care to share their insights?
  2. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    is the wire good then? my sister bought me season 1 for my birthday but haven't got round to watching it yet, heard a lot of good things though.
  3. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's put it this way: it's the best television series ever (and I say that as a huge fan of The Sopranos.)
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    To quote Norm MacDonald: "Baltimore is a dirty, ugly city!"

Seriously, though... most of Baltimore is pretty unpleasant. As far as I've ever seen, the only nice part is the Inner Harbor... which, to it's credit, is very nice. It's got a great aquarium, some nice restaurants and shops, lots of outdoor entertainment, and is near Camden Yard, which is a great stadium. But suffice it to say, the Inner Harbor wasn't featured much on The Wire.

I loved The Wire as well, but I honestly can't imagine wanting to take a tour of the neighborhoods featured in it... at least not without Avon Barksdale as my tour guide. :D It is a very dangerous city if you hang around the bad neighborhoods (of which there are plenty).

For the record, I don't live in Baltimore or even in Maryland... but I do live in Northern Virginia and have visited more than a few times.

The Inner Harbor is very nice and very tourist friendly, but you won't get much of a feel for The Wire by visiting it.
  5. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We visited friends in Virginia last year. Can't remember the name, maybe Monassis? Anyways, it was very cool to visit Washington for the first time. I have to hand it to Americans, whatever else people say about you, you are a friendly, welcoming bunch. Much more so than here in Toronto, where people's dispositions seem perfectly in synch with the weather.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I've always wanted to visit Camden Yards but since I don't care about baseball anymore I highly doubt that will happen.

However one day I still want to visit DC and see all the monuments and historic sites.
  7. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    For whatever reason, I always believed baltimore would be beautiful. For years I believed this. Not sure why. Maybe because of the beauty of Camden Yards, or some movies that were supposedly filmed there.

Then I visited.

I can honestly say (and I apologize if any of you live there), that Baltimore is the 2nd ugliest city in the country. And I have pretty much been EVERYWHERE in the continental US.

I was floored at just how a dirty, filthy, run down city Baltimore was. Its as if you were in a foriegn country.

I'd never go back unless I was forced.
  8. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What is the #1 ugliest city?
  9. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would guess Detroit.
  10. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Detroit is the worst city I've been in.
  11. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Manassas is not a great representation of what Virginia has to offer. Not one of my favorite places in Virginia.

If you ever get a chance, Williamsburg is a really neat place to visit, Charlottesville (and Jefferson's home, Monticello, there), and the whole Shenandoah Valley is beautiful (I think that's the area Silverbear lives in, and I think Tomson as well).

D.C., while it certainly has a number of bad neighborhoods in its own right, is a great place to visit. The whole Mall area (from the Capitol on one end to the Lincoln Memorial on the other) is very safe and you could spend a days and days taking in the various sites from the memorials to the Smithsonian museums.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I live in MD, been to Baltimore, and I've never....

agreed 100,000 times 100% more with what you've said

been to quite a bit of Oriole games, one Raven's game, a couple Navy/Maryland games, you go to parking, and make a bee-line to the stadium, no arriving early to look around, because there isn't that much to see other than the inner harbor, and that isn't all that great, entering Baltimore off I-97 and it's disgusting to look around
  13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    doesn't it take like 3 days to see the whole museum?
  14. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,696 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    This is my same feelings. I love the Sopranos, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under but The Wire is my alltime favorite. I can't believe I am saying that because 6 months ago I would have never said that. I bought the box set and watched it in a month and it completely knocked me out. Great series.
  15. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Smithsonian is actually several museums... Air and Space, Natural History, American History, etc. (http://www.si.edu/Museums/)

And yes, you could probably spend several hours in all of them.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    I've driven through B-more several times -- when I lived out East I would fly out of BWI a lot. Coming back I'd often take a leisurely drive through B-more. Just disgusting, run down, and blighted. The area by Camden Yards is all built up but in a really lame generic way.
  17. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Oh, sorry. The ugliest city in the country is El Paso.

Absolutely Horrid.
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I go to six or seven O's games a year, but don't stray far from Camden Yards. We used to park in a lot near the Babe Ruth Museum ... until someone got killed there.
  19. Elysium1983

Elysium1983 New Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I live in Towson, right outside Baltimore. I can count the number of times I go down into the city a year on one hand, simply because the place disgusts me. Towson on the other hand, is a nice littel suburb.
  20. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ugh...Manassas is a dump. When I was growing up we used to call it Manass......hole.

Baltimore isn't much better. Camden Yards is an awesome venue to catch a baseball game, as long as there is a decent team playing opposite the Orioles, but outside that and the aquarium, I'd never set foot in city limits.

It's unfortunate that you've only visited that part of Virginia. The are some wonderful places in our state.

...then again, I just spent all day driving around NoVa traffic yesterday....and I wasn't real pleased. Meh...we have our bright spots.