1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barkley at #18?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SWG9, Feb 28, 2013.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    i am not a fan of barkley and dont want to take him and do not htink he is BPA at 18

however, esp given the position of QB, if our scouts really believe he is BPA at 18 we should take him

i would hate it but if he becomes a 10 year elite QB for us, we will all come to love the pick
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    No one will have a top 10 grade on Barkley. He isn't that good of a prospect.
    He will be overdrafted because teams are desperate but the fact KC already made a trade for Alex Smith shows what they think about the franchise QBs in this draft class.

The ONLY way Barkley makes any sense for Dallas is if we trade the pick to someone else who is QB hungry.

You can't draft Barkley for leverage because we have too many holes and can't afford to play those silly games with Romo. Extend him, cut him or let him play it out. But drafting Barkley gives us no additional power and one less key asset for whoever is at QB the next decade.
  3. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,496 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Terrible idea. We simply cannot afford to use our first round pick on a player who will not see the field in 2013.
  4. Sean50Lee

Sean50Lee Active Member

580 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    He's better than what you guys are giving him credit for,with that being said I wouldn't draft him [youtube]7U1dIfiKrQk&NR=1[/youtube]
  5. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    :banghead: Hell no! Not even in the last round.
  6. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in the 4th round, but someone will likely take him before that...more power to them...

...in this draft, there are no QB's worth taking in the first round IMO other than maybe Geno Smith...there are teams that will reach for QB's and I hope that there are 4 or 5 taken before us at #18 (would give us better players from which to choose)...but, I just can't see it
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I'm not a fan of his, but that a ridiculous statement. Of course you'd draft him in the 7th if he was there. What do you have to lose at that point?
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    The two draft threads that have been the biggest head-scratchers so far this offseason have been 1) this one by far--suggesting we take this guy at 18 this year and 2) to a much lesser degree, the one suggesting the same thing regarding Tavon Austin.

But I would not suggest in either case that we not take them at all, under any circumstance. Just not at 18....especially not Barkley.
  9. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

403 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    You can add me on the not of fan of Barkley List... If we talking quarterbacks I much rather have both Tylers (Bray & Wilson) over Matt Barkley
  10. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'd rather us get Tahj Boyd next year or Ej Manuel in the 3rd-4th rounds. Someone who still has growth potential. Barkley is pretty polished, but his ceiling is pretty low...and if we waste a pick on him, he will get killed behind our line worse than Tony.
  11. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,037 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    I would consider Tyler Bray in the later rds,i think he has plenty of potential.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    Please Please Please no EJ Manuel.

Guy is fools gold IMO. Looks pretty and you think you got something special but when you go to cash it in you get nothing.

I think you got the right idea about someone drafted a little lower with good potential but he is not that guy IMO.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    THIS guy has good potential.

However THIS guy is also someone that you have to worry about trusting. IF he gets his head on straight and matures you could get a steal.
  14. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,463 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    He was a better athlete outside the pocket, but there's a lot of Rich Gannon in Matt Barkley. Gannon wasn't a fit for every offense but once he landed in the right situation in Oakland in that WC scheme he blossomed and carved up defenses in the short to intermediate range. Barkley has very similar strengths, he's not the guy to run a Norv Turner/Don Coryell vertical game but he can be special in the WCO. Funny enough, Bill Callahan was the guy who resurrected Gannon in Oakland.

If Callahan truly is implementing more of his offense this year, Barkley is the type of QB he would covet.
  15. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I wish callahan was implementing his offense. Garrett offense is crap. Yeah we put up good numbers because of talent at the QB, TE, and WR position but we cannot score worth a crap and can't convert on 2nd and 1's worth a darn:bang2:. I doubt callahan is implementing his system. We would of heard something by now. I think garrett will call plays again this year.
  16. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    No, it's not a ridiculous statement. Barkley is nothing more then a combo of John David Boty and Mark Sanchez.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,833 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Barclay is leverage against Romo? Seriously?

Romo and his agent would be laughing their arse off if we drafted freaking Barclay. They guy threw 15 picks behind a hell of alot better oline at USC than what we have here. He also doesnt have that great of an arm either.

Think Sanchez 2.0 and still tell me he is leverage against Romo.
  18. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    idk man, Ej is a little raw, but the kid made some plays all year long, right up until the senior bowl. Good size and speed as well. I think he would do well to sit behind Tony for a bit.
  19. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

959 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    same here, I think he would be a good investment to groom
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Matt Barkley - QB - Trojans
    National Football Post's Dan Pompei was told by multiple executives that USC QB Matt Barkley has some of the "it" factor.
    "I think Barkley is special that way. He has some ‘it’ factor to him. The personality is there with Barkley," a general manager said. "We ask them questions, try to get a feel for how much they love football, and see if they have a special trait that makes people want to be around them and listen to them. It all comes through with him." One executive said Barkley had the best vision and anticipation of all passers.
    Source: National Football Post Mar 4 - 4:05 PM