1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barkley at #18?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SWG9, Feb 28, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    A couple of other SC guys did too--certainly Sanchez and Leinart.
  2. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I agree, he's improved every year and even this year on a weekly basis all the way up to the Senior Bowl. NFL coaches love to see that, it means the kid is recepetive to what he's being taught aka being coachable.

He's got a lot of the physical tools teams look for in QBs, he'd be a great developmental guy in the middle rounds.
  3. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You couldn't come up with a USC QB for his ceiling? :lmao2:
  4. DFWJC

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Oh, that's bad.

How about ...Pat Haden.
    Kidding
  5. TheFinisher

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    It's funny how those raising the anti-USC QB argument always find a way to leave out Carson Palmer and how he won MVP in just his 2nd season under center... but USC QBs suckzz in teh NFLzz!!

It's a shame he tore his knee and later destroyed his elbow, because he developed into an elite QB faster than Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc.
  6. DFWJC

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Yeah. I have mentioned Carson Palmer...only positively (post14).
    I just didn't see him as a good ceiling example because that ceiling seems too high for Barkley. It was a compliment to Palmer, actually.
    I thought Alex Smith was a better comparable.
    That is still a starting NFL QB, so it could be much worse.
  7. TheFinisher

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    What are the similarities between Alex Smith and Barkley as prospects? :confused:
  8. DFWJC

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Smith has the advantage in many areas--mobility, height, athleticism, accuracy under duress, and possibly even arm strength--that is why I said "ceiling".

But they are both mentally sharp QBs pre-snap and are both accurate if given time to set their feet. Barkley is not super athletic, but he can move around if needed.
    Barkley claims his arm is better than he has shown, so I give him a chance at the next level.

My issue with this thread was the Barkley to Dallas at 18. I just don't think he's worthy of the the 18th pick, plus, that is near the bottom of my need list in the 1st round. BPA first though.

That does not mean I don't think Barkely will go in the 1st round. He really could end up going to AZ or someone else. He may even turn out to be a decent starting QB. I think I saw one eval site compare him to Mark Bulger.

I used Smith because I see him as being able to guide a team with a steady hand if they don't ask too much of him....and have some success doing so.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    I like him but not at 18. I guess I'm just not sold on him as some are. I doubt he would be there in rd 3 but that would be the only way I would go after Barkley.
  10. TheFinisher

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I still don't see how you're comparing him to Smith, their playing styles are nothing alike. It's like comparing Andrew Luck and RG3.
  11. DFWJC

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Yeah. It was more the mental side and bus driver potential.

Probably could have used someone else, maybe Bulger like some others are using... in a positive light.

I mean, he's not amazingly accurate, he's not known to have a cannon arm, he's not very mobile, not fast at all, and he's 6'2. I thought using Alex Smith was a complement.

Who would you suggest represents his upside?

I say all of this and yet will not be suprised if he does go fairly early. If he's lucky enough to go tot team with a good oline and run game, he may even step ina help fairly early.
  12. TheFinisher

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I already spoke at lengths about what I think about Barkley in a post and I'll quote it for you below, but I 100% disagree with you on Barkley and Smith being similar on the "mental side". Smith was extremely raw at Utah and needed to be taught at the professional level of how to be a dropback passer. He never learned how to go through progressions at Utah and operate an NFL style offense, and 7 years later he still hasn't gotten it. Barkley on the other hand is advanced at this stage with understanding how to operate an offense, he's been running an NFL scheme for 4 years and from the neck up compares favorably to Andrew Luck. He has a tremendous IQ for the game. There are certainly things you can pick on Barkley for, but the "mental side" is the wrong argument.

And I hate comparisons in general because no two players are the same, but if I had to give you one I'd say he could be similarly effective from the pocket as Rich Gannon in his Oakland Raider years. Kurt Warner and Drew Brees are some other guys who had a lot of similar strengths and weaknesses as Barkley. Obviously the situation he lands in will effect what kind of success he has, but I see no major issues stopping him from being a good player. The question of arm strength is the only thing stopping him from being a top level QB prospect, but as long as it's "good enough" I find arm strength to be overrated in terms of how important it is to QB play. He'll also have an opportunity to answer those questions on his Pro Day.

13. DFWJC

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    I can agree with this.

If you wish to remove Smith as the upside, I'm fine with that too. There are a have dozen advantages that Smith had over Barkely coming out, but for sure it was not NFL system readiness.
    The comp was more regarding expected results than physical attributes. I thought that was clear, but guess not.
    Your points about them not having the same skill sets is correct. Some would argue that is not a good thing for Barkley though.
  14. Doomsday101

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    It is also took Smith 6 years of poor play and fans wanting him gone before things turned around for his team and now he has lost his job. I don't think a QB is going to get a lot of time in Dallas before fans turn on him certainly not 6 to 7 years.
  15. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    To me it's really funny. It really seems like the majority opinion on here is that we are nowhere close to winning a SB yet most of those people don't want to draft a new franchise QB like Barkley.

I think late first is the perfect value for Barkley. Right now, he isn't a top 5 pick but he has very good upside.

I really wouldn't mind drafting him in the 1st TBH. I know we have more pressing needs NOW but getting a year jump on the development of a QB can do wonders.
  16. TheFinisher

2,500 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I guess that comes down to what you value in Quarterbacks. If it's height, speed and arm strength then you'll like Smith. If it's intelligence, accuracy and consistency you'll like Barkley.

I just don't think Barkley's weaknesses (arm strength, speed, height) are as bad as they're made out to be. He measured in 6'2 1/2 with huge hands, he's not Mike Vick but he'll run if it's there and he can definitely move around the pocket, and the arm strength will be heavily inspected on his Pro Day but I still think he has a good arm by NFL standards. Maybe not Stafford-esque, but more along the lines of Ryan, Romo, etc and that has not been death sentences for them. It's definitely not Colt McCoy/Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque.
  17. Doomsday101

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Some of us are not sold on him as a franchise QB. Using a 1st rd pick on a QB you don't believe in is the issue. I think Dallas should look to get a QB soon but I'm not overly impressed with this year’s so called top QB prospects.
  18. Doomsday101

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    True but then Romo was a low risk we did not give up a 1st rd pick to get him. I guess for me to use a 1st rd pick on a QB he has to awe me and Barkley while a fine college QB just hasn't, at least in my view. I think this is a critical draft for the Cowboys and just not sold that Barkley is going to be that QB
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Barkley is Leinart Part Deux or Sanchez part Deux. either way a bust.
  20. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Fair enough. But if he @ 18, I would hope we could trade back and still grab him. He's got the size, the footwork, the accuracy, the brain, but his arm strength is a little suspect. But there are a lot of top tier QBs that have "suspect arm strength". I, personally think arm strength is a little overrated.