1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barrett Jones, where to play him?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Manwiththeplan, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,066 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Okay, just wondering where we would play him? Let's say, we resign Spencer and sign Knighton/Franklin or any other NT in free agency, someone good enough that we don't have to take a guy in round 1 or 2, but likely not a long term answer. Then let's say we draft a RT in round 1 and he's there in round 2, do we play him at C or RG?

Either way we're stuck playing Costa or Bernadeau, but which one. As bad as Bernadeau's been at times, I wonder if he would be the lesser of two evils, and maybe playing in the same spot next to two better players, would make him better.
  2. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    I don't think hes big or strong enough to play OG in the NFL. He's better off at C where he can be used where he is at his best which is on the move in space. He just won't hold up very long if hes doing a lot of 1 on 1 blocking against the bigger DT's in the NFL in my opinion.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    With Jones I think it depends on which team drafts him. He can be a very good C or G. Where do you need him?

I'd rather him play C here. I want to break up the mediocrity. I don't want Livings playing next to Costa playing next to Bernadeau. You play Jones at RG in this scenario and you'd still have Livings and Bernadeau side by side. I want Jones in the middle of that, capable of helping out either.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    IMO, Costa at OC is better than Bernadeau at OG.

In any scenario, I wouldn't play Rookies or 1st year starters side-by-side. If RT is Parnell or a Rookie, then they need to find a veteran to play at RG in 2013. Maybe Livings could move from LG to RG or they could sign an experienced RG like Brandon Moore from the Jets.

If Costa is healthy, then I would put Barrett Jones at LG.

You didn't mention Barrett Jones at OT, but I've heard that scouts expect his arm length to be too short to project to OT in the NFL. Most also feel that his athleticism is not ideal for OT either.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    No Costa is a free agent he can walk, Jones is a very smart player and person. I want that guy at center.
    Also we dont have to have Bern at RG, we can sign a FA like Slauson.
  6. xwalker

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    Do you think Slauson would have any problems moving from LG to RG?

How would you rate Slauson compared to teammate Brandon Moore? Just their ability in 2013. I'm sure Slauson is better long term being 26 compared to Moore being 32.
  7. supercowboy8

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Slauson is better than Moore and is a better pass protector than Livings. I would be more willing to move Livings to RG and put Slauson at LG.

If we could get Lewman and Jones and sign Slauson then that would be a pretty good OL.
    Smith,Slauson,Jones,Living,Lewman

Also in FA add Desmond Bryant and Terrence Knighton and a DE and NT in the 3rd-5th rounds for depth and future.
  8. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

574 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Costa is restricted. Team can retain him if they want. He can't walk unless the team lets him.
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I'd think about Bernadeau at center. There are less one on one blocks there than guard.
  10. supercowboy8

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Like I said, let him walk. He was one of the worse centers in the NFL last year and he played in only one game this year. He's worthless.
  11. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Most NFL teams will consider him a finesse run blocker which will be their excuse not to draft him early. As you know you do not need to out muscle, drive block and dominate physically on every block to be a success at the next level he gets better like Romo in the 4th qtr. This guy can play every line position from Tackle to Center. Played Tackle(last year), Guard(two years ago) and this year Center all on the best team in the nation Alabama. In the SEC Championship in the fourth quarter they ran right up the middle over the DT Jenkins from Georgia who will go in first RD. This guy is going to be good if you just give him one position. He needs to get stronger no debate, if you do not think Woicek is an advantage pass on this guy. He is also the RKG.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,556 Messages
    3,838 Likes Received
    The draft will depend on FA and resigning our guys. If they can get an OT in FA then they will look at interior OL. That's assuming they resign Spencer. That way they can draft the BPA for the OL.

I think C is OK. It could be upgraded. I think LT and LG are OK. I think RG is submarginal. I don't know what to think of Free. I need to look at the last two games. He's certainly not as bad as many think here. In fact I'm guessing I'll find he's OK. I think we need another OT to compete. I'd prefer a starting LT and move Smith to the right side to compete with Free. That gives us depth and versatility and a quality swing tackle.

We are fine at TE. I'd look for a TE to compete for backup.

We need a starting S to upgrade the position. I'd prefer one in FA to give the draft more options.

We're fine at ILB.

We need a pass rusher.

We need a NT. Again I'd prefer a FA but a draftee to rotate with Rat is fine. I'll take a DE if one jumps in our lap but we're OK here.

You always need CBs. Jenkins is a question mark. I don't know about resigning him.

We need another WR to compete. I'd prefer either a very fast one or a very quick one.

We need a third down RB/PR who has the quicks. Think Darren Sproles here.
  13. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Nice breakdown, although you see more activity in free agency than I do. We have alot of needs and it will be interesting to see the reactions to the picks that are made by this team cause they will probably surprised everyone.

There will probably be a RB/CB drafted in the first 4 rounds (maybe both), with a small chance of even a QB. Alot of people will say RB/CB isn't a big need, but this FO has shown how much they value RBs by drafting Felix so early in the first place, and it can be said they value RBs more than the OL to be honest.

As for CB with Jenkins gone, its a premium position and right now our 4th CB would be some guy off the street. That won't and shouldn't happen, and expect one to be taken.

Thread is about Barrett, who would be nice in the 2nd, but the only interior linemen I would consider in the first is Warmack.

Safety needs an upgrade, and probably won't be done in free agency cause it would be expensive. I look for a safety in the first 3 rounds.

As for OL, I don't really care whether its a tackle or guard as of right now, but one will be taken early, at least the first 3 rounds with only one being taken that high cause of other needs. I am hopeful that OL is the one area we do add someone in free agency.

These are thoughts as of right now, and will change as the process gets closer.
  14. xwalker

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    Barrett Jones = Kyle Kosier

You can win with Kyle Kosier type players.
  15. Macnalty

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I hope he is better but that is a fair statement until he has bulked up and made the ProBowl than Stepnoski would be more appropriate. If we were picking in the top five we would not be discussing Jones as it sits we are at the bottom ten if we keep winning and these are the kind of guys you dissect. Now that I think about it Kyle Kosier(pre foot injuries) on the team this year might of already put us in the playoffs.
    Both him and Chase Thomas are my two main guys for the first two rds this year, last year I had Donta Hightower and Fletcher Cox. Things will change you can bet on it. I am glad we got Mo and it turned out better than I thought other than our injury plagued training camp for the rooks.
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I know you like Barrett, my biggest problem with him is strength, and I would rather the strongest part of their game be in the run game. If I'm drafting an interior linemen this high, I don't want to have to ask if he is strong enough. There is noway he is ready to dominant at this level at guard, and I don't understand why so many people make a big deal about his versatility at the college level. Its not like he will be able to do that right away in the NFL.

An interior OL drafted this high better be ready to start immediately, and I would feel more comfortable with a guy who is strong enough to play guard while letting Costa and Berny fight it out for center than the other way around.

I will say, my thoughts will change alot from now cause of camps and workouts, but seeing Barrett get overpowered in that A&M game just left a bad taste in my mouth about him.
  17. Macnalty

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I agree on that A&M game it was a real surprise they way they smashed them in the nose and they did not respond. I also agree on the strength issue, disagree on his versatility aspect, he is a smart football guy who understand leverage and such which allows him to move across the positions with no determinable loss of integrity on the Oline, we are not going to be in a position to choose between JJ Watts and Tyron Smith reality is Barrett Jones is going to be part of the early rds equations when your record shows you playing a playoff game in week 17. As mentioned earlier his first season will be similar to Kyle Kosier but after than he has a real good chance to be Mark Stepnoski or better which is great for a late round choice with no baggage and RKG.
  18. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,608 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I think people are getting too hyped on him, this is the best comparison I can think of, he will be pretty good at all things and never great at one position.
  19. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,066 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I think his ceiling is much higher than Kyle Kosier. Especially if he plays center and his less than ideal strength is less noticeable
  20. supercowboy8

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I dont understand why people think he is weak. Did you see the SEC championship game. He owned big john Jenkins and Geathers. The guy is very smart, read about his grades and dedication. Thus guy played vs the best in the SEC and handled all of them for most the game. Sure he had a few bad plays but who doesn't. This Is the type of guy I would love at center.