1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barron at SS versus Kirkpatrick at FS/CB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Woods, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If the decision were solely between these two players (let's assume no trades, etc.), who would you prefer?

With Barron,

Seems like a natural SS prospect and has the smarts to set up the defensive backfield as well. Probably the leader of Alabama's secondary last season. While he's not an "elite" prospect compared to several of the other Safeties who have come out over the past few years, Barron has to be considered a safe, solid prospect who could start very early on in his career, perhaps Day 1. He would likely be the best Safety we've had in quite a few years.

With Kirkpatrick,

Some are now saying he's the best FS prospect in this draft. And he's among the best, if not the best, tackling CBs in the Draft. While he currently weighs only around 190 lbs, Kirkpatrick is 6-3, and he should be able to add a few quality pounds (say around 5 lbs) over over the course of the next couple of seasons.

What Kirkpatrick gives the Cowboys is versatility in that he is a guy who can play both CB and FS. At the minimum, he may save the Cowboys having to use another high draft choice on a CB or Safety this year and let the Cowboys have the flexibility to draft a pass rusher, OC, etc early on.

IMO, the question I have regarding Kirkpatrick is he sort of a "jack of all trades and the master of none"? Or, is he both a quality CB and a quality FS? I do wish that as a CB prospect he was a bit more quick-twitch and a step faster. As a CB, he is compared to Quinton Jammer physically by some draft sites/draft analysts.

Opinions? Who would you prefer between these two guys and in RR's scheme?
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    I'll go against conventional wisdom and say they dont pick either at 14. Neither worth the pick IMO. Still think somebody they dont expect drops if they stay at 14.
  3. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick, if Jenkins is leaving next year why not a great young cheap guy to fill his place.
    If Jenkins stays we got 4 good cb's
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm not saying we're definitely taking either one.

I was asking between the two, who would you prefer if it came down to it?
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Barron

Hands down

He's a known commodity..Barron > Kirkpatrick at CB..Dre at FS is an unknown. I'll take Barron..kid is severely underrated
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,821 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    never use a 1st on a player you are going to have switch positions
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i wouldn't quite call him underated being a possible first round pick. However on this board people skim his bio and read "in the box saftey" and immediatley call him RW31 and think he's a bust.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This was my initial feel as well.

Barron is similar to DeCastro in the sense that from the Cowboys perspective and/or needs he's "plug and play" right off the bat.
  9. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I'll take Barron over Kirkpatrick.
  10. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    This.

We already know Barron is a good Safety, the only thing that he lacks in his game is elite speed, which BTW very few Safeties have. He still has good speed for the position though and is very instinctive, he's all over the field when you watch Bama play and has been a leader on a defense that has won 2 Championships over the course of 3 years.

He's mentally tough, experienced, and has the physical tools you look for at that position. And on top of that is a high character guy with leadership qualities.
  11. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Barron has had double hernia surgery and coul die on the field at any moment, and we should stay awa......

Nvm, thinking of a different position.
  12. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    This.

I poked fun at ya, but have to say you hit this on the nose.

I prefer taking Harrison ion the second and using the first on either DeCastro or Konz. I just believe that Harrison is a better cover safety than Barron, who does remind me or Roy Williams. There size and 40 times are almost identical. Although Barron seems to be the better SS prospect, I think Harrison can be moved to FS and let Sensi move to SS.
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    I should have been more clear..Barron is underrated by the armchair scouts and GMs.. The real draftniks and GMs value him correctly
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick and Barron are both sound tacklers, something our D is lacking.
  15. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,889 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Mark Barron Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
    Very Instinctive
    Playmaker
    Hard hitter
    Form tackler
    Excellent in run support
    Plays well in tackle box
    Smart
    Athletic
    Plus ball skills
    Takes good angles
    Can cover tight ends and backs
    Bigger than most safeties
    Durable
    Experienced 3-year starter

Weaknesses:
    Had coverage lapses in 2010
    Lacks elite speed, but runs well

Player Comparison: Adrian Wilson. Barron could be an NFL player who turns out to be similar to Wilson. Wilson has been one of the best strong safeties in the NFL over the past decade. He was a third-round pick in 2001 out of North Carolina State, but Wilson obviously should have been drafted in the first round.

Both Wilson and Barron are physical football players that are always around the ball. Wilson (6-3, 230) is heavier than Barron, but when he entered the NFL, he was 213 pounds. Over his impressive career, Wilson has been a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro selection. Barron has a similar game to Wilson, and he has the potential to be a special strong safety.

NFL Matches: Dallas, Cincinnati, San Diego, New England, Green Bay

Barron could be a fit for a lot of teams in the first round. Dallas, Cincinnati and San Diego all need safety help. They pick at Nos. 14, 17 and 18, respectively. That is probably the highest that Barron could hope to go.

New England had some ugly safety play during the 2011 season, and that position has to be addressed. It seems unlikely that Barron would get past both of the Patriots first-round picks late on Thursday night. Green Bay could also use safety help depending on the future of Nick Collins. Barron has excelled in a complex 3-4 defense in college, so that would make him a good fit for the Cowboys, Chargers, Patriots and Packers.

read more:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012mbarron.php
  16. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    100% agree my man
  17. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Without a doubt in my mind I agree. I like Barron alot more then dre. And I like dre
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Similar, but wouldn't be nearly as effective as DeCastro imo.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It seems that Kirkpatrick's best qualification for S is simply that he's a slow CB. If that's all it takes to be a great safety, then there should be a ton of slow CBs available in the 5th, 6th and 7th round who will likewise turn into great safeties.
  20. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great call. Should have passed on Ware.