1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barron, Cox, DeCastro all there at 14...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TXCowboyVol, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TXCowboyVol

TXCowboyVol Member

311 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    IF this were to somehow happen...and it is a strong possibility, then I think most of us can agree that we'd take one of them. Therefore, which and why? Where's the better 2nd tier prospects in the later rds? In other words...if DeCastro, then maybe Harrison or if Cox, then Midwestern St G...etc. IMO, Cox would be the most valuable at that pick, because the other 2 positions have more depth...thoughts?
  2. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would take cox but I do not think this will happen. Cox should be a top 10 and Barron could make it into the top 10
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,446 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    First thing...I highly doubt all three are there. But you never know.

Anyway, if they are there AND if all are rated about the same on our board (same tier...big IF) then your logic of looking at what would be available later does make sense.
    It should be fun seeing how this falls.
  4. jchap2k

jchap2k Member

126 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I'd go choice
    1. Cox: The drop off in talent from 1st round to 2nd round at his position is higher than the drop off at Guard, and I like Cox's motor.

2. DeCastro: Can't go wrong with the best OG coming out in years. Personally I'd prefer him over Cox if the draft was just 1 round, but with round 2 in consideration, I'd have to put him at number 2 since there are some very good OG to be had at round 2

3. Barron: While the drop off between Barron and the next safety is also pretty huge, he is still not as good as the top two mentioned. He will be very good I think, but for the 14th pick I want to take the BPA that still fills a need.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    How is it a strong possibility all 3 will be there at 14. Over the last week, all the talk is that Cox is for sure in the top 10. Barron now is moving up the charts and could go to Buffalo.

I think Cox is for sure gone. I think Philly trades up with Seattle to get ahead of us and takes Barron if he gets past Buffalo.

I think DeCastro goes to Cardinals.

I think all 3 are gone before 14 more so than all 3 are at 14.
  6. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    It's FAR from a strong possibility...in fact, it's incredibly unlikely.

However, given the scenario, I would have to go with Barron. I've gone with Cox in this scenario previously, but as I've been working on my final mock, I realize that there is quality depth on the D-line that you can get in the second or even third rounds. That can NOT be said for safety, where Barron is significantly better than Harrison, in my opinion, and the drop-off after the two of them is VERY significant.

As much as I like DeCastro, he's not even in the conversation at #14 if either of these other guys are available.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,433 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Buffalo has two good safeties. They won't take barron
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,304 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    I think you've gotta go with Fletcher Cox.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeCastro, because he's as close to a sure thing as there is in the draft.
  10. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My order of preference out of those 3 are
    1. DeCastro
    2. Barron
    3. Cox

DeCastro is the safest pick for me and he has the fewest flaws. I think he's a day one starter and will provide immediate impact at guard or center.
  11. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,216 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Why do you believe Barron is signifigantly better then Harrison? I don't see them that far apart. Could Harrison have more upside? Also how can Decastro not be in the conversation at 14 considering we can't protect Romo? Not to mention he is supposed to be one of the best guards to come out in a decade.

Decastro first....take care of the secondary and D-line next. Protecting Romo has to be the #1 priority if we are going to make a run.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,379 Messages
    1,403 Likes Received
    A lot of folks are saying the surest thing in this draft is Barron.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,379 Messages
    1,403 Likes Received
    For about the 1000th time:

Cox
    Barron
    Trade Down
    DeCastro
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,379 Messages
    1,403 Likes Received
    Barron is capable of man to man coverage, Harrison is not. Harrison is an in the box, zone coverage Safety. Barron can flip his hips, and run with people. Harrison doesn't do that well.
  15. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The only strong possibility involving all 3 and the #14 pick, is that there is a strong possibility that none of those 3 are on the board at #14....
  16. Robbieac

Robbieac Member

594 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's what they said about Roy Willie 10 years ago. People were saying that he was a sure-fire hall of famer.

Nobody in the draft is a sure thing. Anybody who says someone is a "can't miss" doesn't know what they are talking about.
  17. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Anybody who says ANYONE coming out of college is a sure-fire hall of famer is a complete imbecile.

There were a lot of people who did say, however, that he was a sure-fire starter and Pro Bowler...and they were right. The fact that he didn't sustain that career for 10-12 years doesn't change that he was one of the best in the game for the first few years.
  18. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    1. DeCastro
    2. Cox
    3. Barron
    And, no, they won't all be there. DeCastro and Barron could both be there. We will see. I think the Cowboys would love to trade down but the recent news that everybody and their mothers are looking to trade down, we very well may wind up being stuck at 14, in which case I am desperately hoping at least one of them is on the board...
  19. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I never heard sure fire hall of famer. There is no such thing as a sure fire hall of famer coming out of college. But Roy Williams absolutely was an immedate starter and major producer for us his first few years in the league. Then the league moved to a much more pass happy offense and safety's were no longer viewed as 4th (or 5th LB) first, and cover men second, but where instead put into more man to man coverage situations.

As the game changed, Roy Williams was no longer the player when we first drafted him. But, that doesn't mean that he wasn't a very good pick when he was drafted, and a great player his first few years in the league.
  20. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Roy had a much better career than Ryan Leaf and Tony Manderich and they were considered "can't miss" draft picks.

Roy was good until he lost his passion for the game.