1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barry Church Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Lonestar94, Aug 14, 2013.

1. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,086 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    Exiting this debate. It was debated before. There are a tone of reasons why players go undrafted. Not just the "forty" time. Sorry you don't come into camp and light it up flat out win that job with no talent and being "slow". So enjoy! I know I will enjoy Church having a good year and being the safety Dallas has been missing for years.
    superpunk likes this.
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,086 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I said his play was similar to Woodsons I said it his rookie year. I said slap 28 on that kid and he looks like Woodson. What does Church have to gain for lying? So you are saying he is a liar? Obviously he isn't a RKG. I will take his word for it.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    The main similarly he has to Woodson is height and weight.....he hasn't shown anything to deserve that kinda praise. As for the lying bit, if you have ever played or even been around players, its kinda like a girl lying about her weight. She can say whatever she wants, but the scale and mirror tell the truth.

Players exaggerate their speed all the time, but he does have great instincts for that speed and for that I'm happy about. You can be as fast as you want to be, but if your running in the wrong direction it doesn't matter. Those instincts are why he has the starting job presently, but if JJ shows those instincts along with his superior athletic ability, he could put Church on the bench.
  4. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Church fist bump. Dude is legit.
    texbumthelife and CowboyStar88 like this.
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    I am confused by the people anointing JJ Wilcox because of a couple pre-season plays, but not willing to give Church a shot. I genuinely believe Church could be the best safety this team has had since Woodson under one condition, he stays healthy. He is the best combination of instincts, coverage ability and hitting/tackling we have had in a decade. Give him a chance to show it. I guarantee, he is one of the players the team had in mind when they switched schemes. He is a downhill, reactionary player. He is going to turn heads this season if he stays healthy. Bookmark me.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  6. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    TO ran a 4.5 40. Who cares? Church can play.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,756 Likes Received
    I like Church, a lot, but he's not going to be a 5-time probowler like Roy Williams was for us early on. I'll be happy if he just delivers on the promise he showed in camp and early in the season last year.
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,042 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    I like him because from what I've seen, he seems to understand his responsibilities, and looked to be a true zone safety. Sensabaugh and McCray were horrible the farther you got them from the LoS. Church actually understands his responsibilities from what I can tell.
  9. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

930 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    This isn't going to be very popular around here but IMO Church is not that good and I never thought he was. Comparing him to Woody is silly. Comparing him to RW is silly. He has done nothing but he can always improve and hopefully prove me wrong. He wouldn't start but for a handful of teams. We are weak at both safety positions and most know it but won't admit it. Now, flame away.........
  10. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    No flame, just disagreement. Why can't he be a Kam chancellor? Pro bowl caliber depending on how the team/defense does. Church can play. Is John Lynch any more athletic than Church? You people are caught up in measurables. I love Church's game.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  11. shank

shank Member

48 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I almost feel he needs to be starter because not else there to choose from. Wilcox needs seasoning. Matt Johnson well...won't go there. Allen probably is your other starter.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,799 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Has proven nothing yet.
  13. pacboyX

pacboyX Member

124 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Was never too comfident in Church, hes a strong hitter and seems to know whats he is supposed to do (he is who we thought he was lol). But if you look at our entire defense..to this point what do we have covering our deep ball? Who will chase djack deep? Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Allen..I am not confident in the athletic ability of our starting secondary plain n simple..well maybe the front 7 will do enough to prevent deep ball assault ha.

Does anyone know how the young safeties are doing in Deadskins camp?
  14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Oddly enough, the only safety I'm confident in is Allen. Church, Wilcox and Johnson show promise, though.
  15. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,045 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Some of our corner are pretty fast, Scandrick has a 4.32 and Carr has a 4.4 in the 40 yard dash. The thing that concerns me is the speed of the safeties.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,756 Likes Received
    They IRd Thomas recently. Haven't heard one way or another about Rambo.
  17. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    All off a 3 game sample?
  18. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    He can play dude. Keep doubting.
  19. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    Doubting? I asked you a question
  20. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,606 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    IIRC it took woodson almost 3 seasons to become what he became. He was ST player and nickel backer. THe owrst thing I can say about church is my impression of him is incomplete.