1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BATmock Xmas Extravaganza

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BAT, Dec 26, 2010.

1. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    2011 THEME: Acquire mentally tough proven playmakers - all day suckers with a nasty streak

Offseason acquistions should include another 2nd rounder (either thru slight trade down or for a player/future pick) and FA upgrades at:

OL: OG Harvey Dahl or Logan Mankins, C Kevin Mawae
    DL: DT/DE Shaun Rogers or Richard Seymour
    FS: OJ Atogwe or Eric Weddle

Cowboys 2011 Draft:

1. Robert Quinn, OLB, UNC, 6'5 268 4.59. Peterson will be a top 5 pick. Quinn like Dez Bryant is also top 5 talent, but will drop, like Bryant, due to off field issues. But unlike Dez he does not drop far, stays in top 12. Freak athlete who plays with a mean streak and all out hustle. Best player on a talented UNC defense (UNC defense will have a half dozen first day picks in 2011). Quinn had 11 sacks, 20 TFL & 6 FF in 2009. Beat brain cancer in high school.

2a. Marcus Cannon, RT/RG, BYU, 6'5 350 5.22. Other options: ARK DeMarcus Love or BYU Matt Reynolds. Man Mountain who has nimble feet. Athleticism for his size is off the charts. Named top 10 workout warrior by Espn.com. Allowed ZERO sacks in 2009. Punishing run blocker, gets to next level easily. Like Love, may have more immediate impact at OG.

2b. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/DT, Temple, 6'5 305 5.05. JJ Watt will shoot up draft boards and taken in the 1st so here is another unstoppable producer at DT who projects as a pro 3-4 DE. Wilkerson has been an unstoppable force in the MAC, as both a pass rusher and run stopper. Gets great penetration & has great ball location. A BEAST. 2 straight seasons with double digit TKFL, 7 sacks or more (9.5 in 2010) and 60 plus tackles (70 plus in 2010).

3. Mark Herzlich, ILB, Boston College, 6'4 245 4.75 The best LB in 2008, better than Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Cushing, McClain, etc. A monster against the run and in coverage. Still managed 4 INTs in 2010 playing with a broken hand. Guy is so tough he literally fought cancer ... and won. Ran in the 4.6's in 2008 before he had to take 2009 off. Only available this late b/c still not 100%.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin, 6'5 325 Big time mauler who simply punishes opposing defenders. Sloppy build & average pass pro production should drop stock (I hope), but this guy can flat out play. A pure sloberknocker in the run game.

5. Mark LeGree, FS, Appalachian State, 6'0 200 4.52 If this kid played D1, was 2 inches taller or 10 lbs heavier he would be the first safety taken in this draft. Super instinctive ballhawk and ultra productive - 10 INTs in 2008, 7 in 2009 and 5 in 2010 (5 Ints in only 5 games, due to injury). Smallish frame (although bigger than Ball) but a hard hitter and very good tackler.

6a. Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union, 6'0 190 4.43 Hoss sold me on this kid. Playmaker at WR, KR and even RB. Not sure if he lasts this long though.

6b. Charles Clay, FB/HB, Tulsa, 6'3, 240 4.65 Getting punishing lead blocker & short yardage runner Owen Marecic at this spot would be a dream, but Clay is the more realistic choice. Gronkowski is not getting it done, especially in pass pro. Clay brings more playmaking and athleticism, better in pass pro, motioning to slot & rac as well as running the ball.

7. Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock, 6'4 305 5.24 Div II project who utterly destroyed defensive tackles at that level. Locks on and pancakes & will move on to hit someone else. Nasty attitude.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ZONERS!!
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,038 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Mawae has retired,we didnt want Atogwe thi season,why would we want him next year?
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    BAT doesnt Cannon go to TCU? I think you did what I do sometimes.....you are mocking and thinking of two players at the same time from two different schools and mix them up.....I know what you meant though....

I wonder if Herzlich will be back to his old self by next season....I know this season he was not as good as in the past, but who can blame him...cancer and the treatment takes so much out of a man.
  4. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,882 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Atogwe signed a big deal. If they didnt go after him in FA they arent going to trade for him

Kind of :/ on Wilkerson but thats a sick draft
  5. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Seymour would be a great addition to the D, but didn't he also sign a long term deal with Oakland?

Quinn does look like a pass rush guy, but he may not be big enough to play DE in a 3/4. But I would take him anyway, we can never have enough pass rushers on this squad.
  6. MarionBarberThe4th

11,882 Messages
    87 Likes Received

No, hes strictly a OLB w/ us. One who is better than Spencer and is still just 20 years old
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    You do know that he's been a free agent all year and will be like 39. He's most likely to retire
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Cowboys need a leader on OL, someone who makes every OL accountable. Mawae will also bring some nasty and pride to the unit. Is such a technician, he would be a much better mentor to Costas and any incoming rooks.

Retirement is not forever. Mawae can still play. Notice the difference with the Titans when he left?

As for Atogwe, not going after him in the offseason was a mistake. Unless you think Ball is a keeper?
  9. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Thanks for the kudos!! Wilkerson is under the radar, but try and find some youtubes on this guy, Muhammad is everything Marcus Spears was supposed to be, and more. And the crazy thing is that as big and bad as Wilkerson is now, he still has room to get bigger and stronger. Great explosion off snap.

Atogwe signed a big deal true, but it is really disguised as a one year deal. No way he gets paid 12M in 2011. So once he is released, no trade necessary.
  10. MarionBarberThe4th

11,882 Messages
    87 Likes Received

Mawae feels hes pretty much been black-listed by the owners b/c of his comments about the CBA. I think hes done

I just dont think they will do it since they so clearly whiffed last year. Signing or trading for him will be embarrassing to them. If they would have just done it last year they maybe make the playoffs.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Seymour is a UFA in 2011, Raiders likely signed him to a 1 year deal last season.

Quinn is just under 270 but he is an 3-4 OLB all the way. Kid is compared to Julius Peppers in terms of freakish athleticism & production. Peppers will take the occasional play off, this kid is an all day sucker.

Tired of waiting for Spencer's potential. Even on Spencer's best day, he was never top 5 talent. Quinn is.
  12. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    You are right! That is exactly what I did, I even listed Reynolds as an option at Cannon's spot in the commentary. Thanks for the catch.

Not only was Herzlich not 100% game shape, but he played with a busted hand. He is def worth a risk in the 3rd, or 4th. You just can't teach his intangibles.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,009 Likes Received
    Mistaken on some of the details but a pretty good draft for us if that's the case.
  14. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    That would be unfortunate if both those reasons prevent the Cowboys from upgrading the OL and FS spots.

Jerry has taken chances on more problematic players than Mawae in the past, and if pride is the biggest thing he has to swallow to improve the weakest link on D, then Jerry is no stranger to that either.
  15. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,038 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    i am intrigued by Quinn .Spencer's regression has hampered our secondary too.Is he completely cancer free?
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,661 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Cancer free on the inside only. Quinn is still a cancer to opposing QBs. :D

Seriously, Quinn has been cancer free since Sr year of high school. Quinn is not only a sackmaster, but just as impressive is his ability to generate FF. The guy had 6 in 2009, just his second season as a starter. He tackles with violent intentions.

This terror off the edge abused BC's Castonzo (one of the most athletic OL in 2010 draft projected in 1st) so much so that he resorted to holding Quinn most of that day.

Spencer is not worth passing on another potential Demarcus Ware.
  17. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Cannon is from TCU not BYU
  18. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received

wow, thanks for reading the entire thread, Captain Obvious.