1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Baylor guard Danny Watkins recorded 134 knockdowns in 25 games at left tackle.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 9, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020811aaa.html

Both Taylor, a defensive lineman, and Watkins, an offensive lineman, participated in the 2011 Under Armour Senior Bowl on Jan. 29, becoming the first duo of Baylor student-athletes to participate in the same Senior Bowl since five Bears participated in the 1989 event.

Watkins, a two-year letterwinner from Kelowna, B.C., started all 25 games at left tackle during his Baylor career. As a senior in 2010, Watkins earned first-team All-Big 12 honors from numerous publications after leading the team with 134 knockdowns and an average coaches' grade of 90 percent. He posted the highest grade of any lineman in 12 of 13 games and led the team in knockdowns in every game.

Watkins was drafted fourth overall in the May 2010 CFL Canadian Draft by his hometown B.C. Lions, but he chose to return to Baylor for his senior season.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    lol, I don't know anything about knock down stats but that sounds like a heck of a lot to me.
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like he MIGHT be a good player, but I can't use a high 2 on a 27 year old player.
  4. k19

k19 Active Member

2,958 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'd love to see us grab this kid in the 3rd. Hes NASTY and would be an instant plug and play on the right side. Former fire fighter, athletic and a should be there in the 3rd
  5. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,628 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    if scouts grade him as plug and play, he would not be available in round three.

projected year one starters are scooped up in the first two rounds.
  6. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    :hammer:

maybe if we were drunk with picks like the pats.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I would love to have him but have a hard time investing a 1st or 2nd round pick in what will be a 28 year old rookie.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,846 Messages
    7,572 Likes Received
    This guy's a pet cat for me. I don't mind the age. If we get 6 effective years out of this year's #2, I'd be thrilled.
  9. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I keep trying to convince myself of that as well then i begin to think "what if"

What if he is as not as ready to come in a take right over?
    What if he he suffers even the slightest injury that causes him to lose valuable time his rookie year?

Suddenly you now have a 29 year old rookie and every year is precious for him because you know your only getting 6 or 7 years at most.
  10. k19

k19 Active Member

2,958 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    not when theyre in their late 20's. Guess we'll see
  11. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This draft is plenty deep at guard.

I'd rather take a 22-23 year old in 3 that is a year or two away from playing vs a 27 year old plug and play guy.

Love, Ijalana, Moffitt, Ziemba...........
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    28 now? His age keeps creeping up.

He was born nov 6th, of 84. So he's 26 right now and won't even be 27 till the end of this year. Obviously that means that at 28 he'd be in his 2nd NFL year.

He's old for a rookie, but let's try to be accurate here. :D
  13. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yes, if you read what I said I pointed out if anything caused him to miss his rookie season or an significant time (injury, lockout or simply just not ready) he would then basically be a 28 year old rookie (2nd year player) with limited experience.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Actually, I quoted that entire post. That's not even what you said anyway.

You said:
    Even missing his first year would make him 28 in his second year. No amount of math makes him a 29 year old "rookie" unless you have him missing two years.

I was joking around because your meaning was perfectly clear, but then you had to go and throw that whole "if you read" thing in there.
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Unfortunately the CowboysZone has not invested in that new "tone of voice" translator software because what you heard and what I said are obviously two different things..................I understood your good nature jabbing, I assure you my response was not delivered the way you are taking it.

Anyways, he will be 28 at the end of his second season.

Rookie year in Nov he will be 27
    2nd year in Nov he will be 28

You are correct, I have misspoken in the original post and corrected myself in the follow up post.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,789 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    Well if he is ready to play, we can sign him for 6 years at a decent price and get that out of him. With FA the way it is that is all you are usually going to get out of players anymore.
  17. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,938 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I've said before that Watkins could end up being the best OL taken in this draft. He's also a 3 position player so that is a big plus as well. The big drawback is his age.

I wouldn't advocate a first rounder because of his age, but I would keep an eye on him late second, early third. Also remember that OL's regularly play in to their mid and upper 30's... so you may get 7-9 years out of him as his body hasn't been beaten down with his lack of experience...

At the very least he is one of the most interesting prospects in this draft...
  18. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,628 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    whoa there. a cowboy draft pick getting injured in his rookie season?

that never happens!

/sarcasm
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,435 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    Is Robert "Pec Sprain" Brewster still on the roster? :huh:
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,311 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    I can't tell. His belly is covering that part of the roster.