1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Be honest about the Claybourne pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chuck 54, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,250 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Who went through what I went through?

As the announcement began, I knew it had to be Claybourne, but I kept thinking NO...don't move up for Cox or Barron!!!! I love Cox and Barron, but I would have died if we'd taken either at #6.

I was afraid we'd blow it until I heard it.

On another front, this doesn't mean the end for Jenkins. If Jenkins plays well, we could resign him....Claybourne won't really have a huge impact on that decision while on his rookie contract....and there was no guarantee Jenkins would be ready for the season opener.

And who's to say we won't find a way to move our third back into round two. This may be the year for quality over quantity.
  2. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    dont kid yourself Jenkins if not gone this year he will cetainly not be brought back next year
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I love the Claiborne pick just hate giving up a 2nd by doing so.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When the Cowboys moved all the way up to 6th, Claiborne was a no-brainer. There was no way in hell they would take Cox or Baron at 6. Claiborne is a blue chip, Cox and Baron are not.
  5. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,250 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Top players don't come cheap.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,743 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Yeah, I was afraid too. There were people saying it was Cox just before. I like the guy, but Claiborne is in that truly elite level.
  7. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,664 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Just remember who Dallas has drafted in recent second rounds and you'll feel better, think of it as giving up Martellus Bennett or Jacob Rodgers or Julius Jones.

If Claiborne is at least as good as a young Newman, shazam.
  8. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Barron is blue chip just watch. i would have been okay with him being taken at 6. i know I'm on my own but he is a stud and i think he will be the best safety in the league in a few years.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I like it, I was terrified we would pick Brockers
  10. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Barron is your right, but look at all the ratings and Claiborne was very highly rated and much higher rated more than Barron or Cox.

Claiborne is a top 5 rated player. Barron and Cox aren't.
  11. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

687 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    As Goose always says, Blue Chip players are what wins in the NFL. The 'Boys got one.
  12. rickster14

rickster14 Member

143 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    In round 2, we just would have drafted an injured player who would not have helped for another year.
  13. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think there was just that lame made up rule that you don't draft a safety that high in the draft so no one really paid attention to him. i think there is a reason he want #6. he is that good man. i know i'll catch a lot of heat for this but i would have been just as happy with Barron at #6. i think he is worth it.
  14. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I agree, but safeties have went top 6 in the past so thats not a rule. Like barron and would have been happy with him at at 6 if Claiborne wasn't there, but Claiborne is just the better player.
  15. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,261 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    I heard the boo's & didn't have a clue what the boo's we're for then when I saw us next on the list I started screaming cuz I knew who we got. Jerry wanted Peterson last yr but I'm happier with Claiborne I think he's better.
  16. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    maybe, i'm still undecided. claiborne is pretty serious, but, so is barron. only time will tell. i think they are pretty close.
  17. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Just going off all the websites and so called guru's boards. I like both but CB is much more wanted and high priced position over safety.
  18. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,311 Messages
    1,143 Likes Received
    Not my 'pet cat', but have to love seeing the term 'perennial Pro Bowler' mentioned about your #1 draft pick!

:D