1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Be very careful when dealing with ancestry DOT com

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by trickblue, Sep 12, 2012.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I have a history with this site... any of you?

Be VERY careful of dealing with this site...
  2. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

3,107 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    My wife got me a year's subscription to it a couple of years ago. I used it sparingly and I didn't/wouldn't give it the time to make it worthwhile. It was a waste of money for me, but I thought it was a good gift from my wife. It was something different.

I work with a couple of people who've traced their roots to the 1600's and they love it. They've never mentioned any problems with the site.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Going back to my great-grandfather is good enough for me, so I never bothered with those sort of things. Not to mention I doubt the hills of Sicily and Southern Italy were up to urban standards of clerical administration.

And with your last line comes the inevitable: WHY?
  4. trickblue

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    A LOT of the info they get is contributions... they got rid of the "Free" stuff...

I contributed 100's of documents... they now sell those and block me from them unless I pay $20 a month... that's for the US... I contributed docs on the world plan... that's $29 a month...

They duped a lot of people...
  5. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

3,107 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I can understand your frustration then. The people I mentioned said a big part of Ancestory.com was the user donations, and they themselves donated material. I have to ask them how they feel about having to pay for information they've given to them.
  6. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a :bastid: adopted at birth so I can't even look up my ancestors. I lose
  7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I use it all the time. I've tracked back on my mothers side to the Great Fire of London. I've never uploaded anything on Ancestry. All I do is save screen shots of Census Records / Parish Records and the like for use in my database.

I would be pissed if they started selling any documents I contributed, but I guess they've covered themselves in the small print. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'll just continue to use it as a record of my tree.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,450 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Same with me.
  9. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,334 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    My cousin used it and well, it tracked back to something I'll just say is...interesting.

I'm not sure I quite believe it and it's shrouded in mystery, so I question the validity of it.

YR
  10. trickblue

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    That's where I messed up... I didn't imagine the stuff I had collected when I was a paying member would go away...

I may join again for a month at some point in order to screen cap those docs...

People that start doing research on their family history had better be prepared for some seedy things... it's in every family...
  11. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,453 Messages
    179 Likes Received

I am pretty sure, the point of a business is to make money. So, if someone joins for a month, and then quits, why would they let you have access to the stuff? The incentive for you to see that stuff, is to give them money.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One of my grandad's was Sicilian of course I have seedy things in My family
  13. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    from their website it says you enter a few names and IT does all the work to find your history.

the only thing i've seen from it is it's a place where i can figure it out and make my own tree, but there's no "automation" to it.
  14. trickblue

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    It gives you "Hints" and you decide what you want to do... that's where I got some documents...

I have been doing genealogy for almost 20 years... I had most everything already. It was mainly to share with other members of my family...
  15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes sir. I have one ancester who was charge with Larceny. He stole 20 shillings of Naval Stores. His punishment was death. Shocked me for sure.
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    i don't even get hints. i put my parents and grandparents in there and nothing. if i wanted to "add" anyone i had to know them and find them in a search.

i gave up.
  17. trickblue

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    The hint is that little leaf... click it to get the hint...
  18. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sweet. Too bad you don't live in D/Fw anymore. We could punish our livers one day! Haha.
  19. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I have used it a little, I was about to go back to 1760 on my grandfathers side. My mother really got into it. I gave her my account info and she cleaned up everything I had done.

Found out some shady stuff on my Grandmothers side. Her grandfather had 4 kids with her grandmother, then they divorced and he started another family. Obviously the two families didn't like each other at all. So once he died, the new family burried him in the family plot. My Grandmother's uncles and Aunt went and dug him up and burried him in our families plot!

I think I have been able to go back on my grandmothers side to the 1400's, we may have some German Knights in our family I have been able to see a lot of crests. I am just not sure.
  20. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Very efficient advertising system we have here... Right as Trick is tutoring ice on the little green leaf, above it is an Ancestry ad with the little green leaf.

[IMG]