1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Beans: Why do we eat them?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by BigDGarciaFan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Member

227 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Beans are eaten by lots of people, whether in a bowl of water, mashed, spread around enchiladas, tacos, nachos, used as dip during gameday, etc. but whats the point of beans? to me, they have no taste. its considers a boring food, in fact, its the worst food in the world. you take a bite out of beans, its like eating rotten potatoes. why can we just eat simpler and more enjoyable foods like a bacon/egg taco, steak w/corn or peas, meatloaf, etc? beans are a waste of time.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,029 Messages
    3,940 Likes Received
    The more you eat them, the better you feel. Or so I've been told.
    Wheeltax likes this.
  3. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,660 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    If beans are tasteless to you, you don't know how to cook 'em!
  4. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,257 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Once you get off the processed crap, things like beans taste better. Everything tastes better.
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,725 Messages
    992 Likes Received
    I went paleo a few months ago do I don't eat beans, but I miss them.
  6. CashMan

1,257 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    How do you get your oils?
  7. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I do paleo and I use coconut oil and eat a lot of healthy fats like avacados.
  8. Denim Chicken

2,725 Messages
    992 Likes Received
    I use olive, grape seed, and coconut oils.
  9. CashMan

1,257 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Ohhhh, I thought you meant you were eating sunflower seeds and things llike that, because your couldn't have oil. I thought i read something about grape seed oil being bad. How is it? The wife is allergic to coconut, so we use evoo and canola. Have you used avacado oil? I have an allergy to sunflower so that's no gold. Have you used safflower oil?
  10. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,423 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    We switched back from canola and occasionally peanut oil to plain vegetable oil. We generally use so little oil we found it makes no difference. It does burn more readily and smoke more quickly though. We've used safflower oil but its too expensive and only the wife can taste the difference (I'm uncivilized). Almost all our food is Chinese. We do stay away from wheat flour for the most part. Mostly rice and bean noodles, vegetables, chicken and shrimp. Lots of NAPA cabbage. We eat beans occasionally but they get their revenge on me.
  11. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,965 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    The soluble fiber in beans helps lower levels of damaging LDL cholesterol in the blood, thus lowering heart-disease risk. And by slowing down carbohydrate absorption, soluble bean fiber fends off unwanted peaks and valleys in blood glucose levels -- especially valuable to people with diabetes. Beans also provide substantial insoluble fiber, which can keep constipation and other digestive woes away.

Legumes are also rich in folic acid, copper, iron, and magnesium -- four nutrients many of us could use more of in our diets. In addition, dried beans and peas are generally good sources of iron, which is especially helpful for people who don't eat meat.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fresh-ideas/healthy-dinners/health-benefits-of-legumes-ga.htm
    jubal likes this.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,895 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    For starters, beans are incredibly good for you.
    Plus, they're one of the best foods to add various flavors to in soup, chili, or otherwise....if you know what you're doing.
    Hey, why not?
  13. jobberone

35,423 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    Yep and they're relatively cheap esp dried ones.
  14. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    Because BBQ beans are so darn good with my sausage and brisket.
  15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,374 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    If you're a lover of beans, cabbage, deviled eggs and limburger cheese and want to keep the passion and desire from pooping out in your marriage so to speak you might want to try one of these.

khiladi and jobberone like this.
  16. jobberone

35,423 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    LOL. That's hilarious.
  17. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,380 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    This is why we eat beans.

18. Denim Chicken

2,725 Messages
    992 Likes Received
    No, paleo is a diet where you don't eat beans, rice, wheat, corn, or legumes among other things.
  19. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,508 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    So we have created a thread to discuss the relevance of beans ??

:D
  20. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,380 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Next up corn, if it comes out the same way as going in doesn't that make it pointless?