1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Beans: Why do we eat them?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by BigDGarciaFan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,048 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received

This..

Beans are also very nutritious and one of the most complete foods you can eat.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,048 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received

I think Paleo is kind of rediculous.

The majority of anyones diet should be meat and vegetable but staying strict and not allowing room for some processed foods is just overboard.
    khiladi likes this.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    I cheat a little. But cutting down on all the chemicals, preservatives, and carbohydrates of the typical American diet would be beneficial to most.
  4. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,770 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    "The cherry on top" perhaps the most overpraised item in all of the culinary arts.
  5. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,770 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    "Meat and Potatoes" a term used to describe simplicity with two of the most varied items you can use.
  6. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,770 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    Milk...good or bad for you? Who knows?
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,454 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I 100% agree. You have no idea the amount of hormones that go into meat, along with GMOs. I have a corn allergy, so I pretty much eat the same way, but I do have beans, and a little dairy, along with rice and potatoes. 6 months ago, if you told me I would be eating no processed foods, I would of laughed at you, but now, I can feel the difference physically and mentally.
  8. Denim Chicken

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    I'm trying to keep pressure on my congressman for GMO labeling requirements.
  9. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,454 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    You should. If you stick with 100% organic veges and fruits you should be good. I shop at whole foods, and they do pretty well, with having their products(not just the 365 brand), labeled for Non-GMO. But, I think organic is thrown around a little too loosely. Something could be a derivative of corn and still be called organic. When you think organic, most people think non-processed, which is not the case. I found a product and it was labeled in the ingredients as, organic corn syrup. Really!?!
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,048 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    I agree.. To be honest I probably eat 75% paleo.

But some stuff I refuse to give up because I don't think it would make a bit of difference.

Now for someone who has no control over their diet then that would be a good candidate to try and be as strictly paleo as possible.
    khiladi likes this.
  11. Denim Chicken

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    yep, I still do some dairy, but alcohol is my main cheat.
  12. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,255 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    The only good bean is a jelly bean ... or Mr. Bean.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,125 Messages
    4,588 Likes Received
    Better than some of the threads on here at times. :)
    BigDGarciaFan likes this.
  14. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Can't argue that.
  15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,110 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    Gives a whole new meaning to having a security blanket.
  16. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Wait...A guy w/ "Garcia" in his user name is deriding beans!?

Perfect...I can't wait for the user "___ Nguyen" to start a thread trashing rice!
    Cover 2 and 5Stars like this.
  17. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Active Member

331 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    yuck, i rather have "plain chili", and "soup with only chicken included". i can stand how beans look after someone finishs them. or how silly it looks when someone uses bread as a spoon to dig up the beans. if someone does that, i rather do that digging up bacon(which i used to do as a kid).
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    LOL

Okay. Always good to see someone know what they like.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
    I've heard that if you put an Alka Seltzer in your pot of beans it gets rid of the gas that makes you fart. I don't know if it's true or not.

But, I love a good pot of beans with bacon and some fried taters with a slice of cornbread!
  20. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    The issue with oils is supposedly the Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratios. The high levels are normally found in oils with higher levels of polyunsaturated fat. These oils als tend to have lower oxidation temperatures than foods like tallow, which is primarily saturated fat and olive oil, which is more mono-unsaturated. Peanut oil for example, has a ratio of probably 20-1. The problem is, when the ratio gets high, an inflammatory state that is unhealthy, supposedly, is created. The levels the say are idea are disputed, some say 4-1 is idea, others say equivalent.

Oil per say is not bad. It's excess that is.