1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bears 2011 1st-rounder Gabe Carimi on bubble?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, May 13, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,041 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    The Chicago Tribune believes 2011 first-rounder Gabe Carimi is on the Bears' roster bubble.

The Bears appear to have given up on Carimi at tackle, leaving him to compete for reserve guard duties. Sidelined for a majority of his rookie season by a knee injury, Carimi was an absolute train-wreck as a sophomore. Failing to survive final cuts would solidify Carimi as one of the bigger draft busts in recent memory.

Source: Chicago Tribune May 13 - 12:55 PM
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    If cut and he cleared waivers, would be worth a look to play guard. Even coming out of school, he looked to slow to play tackle.

I'm sure the Bears got a B for that draft.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,447 Messages
    209 Likes Received

A lot of us thought he would have to make it in the NFL as a guard, I never wanted him to be drafted by us. It is funny that Long is the one to unsurp him, because he is also one I don't like at all.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    I wanted us to draft Carimi when he came out (after a trade down). The dude has some attitude to him. I'll take him at RT, couldn't be worse then Parnell or Free.

Plus we seem to have success picking up Chicago's reject RT's. :D
  5. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,856 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Bears O-Line is nothing special so I'm not sure he would be better than Parnell or Free.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,780 Likes Received
    If they're giving up on him after two seasons, there's a likelihood he's a lot worse than both of those guys.

That doesn't mean don't take a look, but I'd be skeptical of it ever coming to anything.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,222 Messages
    740 Likes Received
    Boy -- I sure remember a ton of "trade back" advocates wanting this guy.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,780 Likes Received
    In fairness, we *had* to use the pick on an OL of some sort.
  9. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,352 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    ended 2012 able to play but on the bench.

and now he is skipping non-mandatory OTA's. doesn't sound like he wants to stick around.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,900 Messages
    3,961 Likes Received
    the guy is arizona completing treatment on his knee. i dont believe the bubble talk, he'll find his way on the team.
  11. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

983 Messages
    101 Likes Received

:laugh2: :bow:
  12. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    A B+ just on the 1st round...
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14998621
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,041 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4h
    “@louisianajedi: @BryanBroaddus Do you think Jerry would consider Carimi if Da Bears cut him loose?” Had on board in first round.
    View conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    I don't know what you look like, but I'm pretty sure you could play better at RT if you were blindfolded and giving me a piggy back ride.
  15. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,856 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    You don't dump a first rounder this early just to save face unless the guy has zero potential or is a bad apple disturbing the team. I don't know which one it is but there's no way I'd give up Parnell for Carimi.

If he's released I'd want us to put in a claim but he probably gets a look from someone before us on the waiver wire pecking order. If he's got nothing left we can let him go without any loss other than releasing some camp fodder.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    No way you'd want us to give up Parnell for Carimi, but you'd want us to put in a claim?

What would be the freaking point?
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think Parnell could be useful so I won't trade him for a player about to be released. If the Bears are considering releasing him they probably have little faith in him.

If he is released I would put in a claim. If we get him we cut the 90th man on the camp roster and give him a chance to compete and work with a different set of coaches.
  19. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,239 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    If I'm putting the pieces together right I really just think they want to drop his first round salary and keep Webb who's on a 7th rounder's salary. I know they've played Webb at LT & RT so although he got embarrassed on national television against GB I think they like his upside at RT more than Carimi's. Add all that up including Bushrod as the new LT and Long as either Guard or Swing Tackle and now you have a reason for why they would dump Carimi.

I'm sure Dallas will take a look even if they keep Free on a reduced salary because Garrett/Cowboys liked Carimi in 2011 plus he's good friends with Carimi's old OC at Wisconsin Chryst. I don't think the guy is washed up I think Chicagos Oline has been poorly coached and constantly depleted.
  20. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,269 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I saw the Bears - Niners game on Monday night last year, and Carimi just got dismantled by Aldon Smith, and anyone else who lined up across from him. Smith ended up the night with 5.5 sacks and several more pressures. It was so bad that the announcers were cringing when watching the replays of the sacks. He was getting bull-rushed, speed-rushed, beat every way you can imagine. He looked like Doug Free during Free's worst moments.