1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Beating Washington

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,932 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    We have to make them throw the ball. Key to the game is to turn it into a shootout.

We need to come into that game, spread them out, and start throwing the ball down the field.

The strength of the Redskins comes from the threat to run the ball, that being said they aren't great at defending the pass, and they aren't great at passing the ball.

It's definitely a game in which we can and should win.

And it's not that I'm overlooking the Saints, it's just that the only way that games counts is if the Giants win both their remaining games. We certainly will have to beat the Saints in that scenario. I don't think the Saints are a good team, but they certainly pose a threat against our secondary if McCray and these linebackers can't cover. That being said, it's another one dimensional team, who's defense is terrible. If we can get up on them "early" we can definitely win that game as well.
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,065 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Personally I just don't see a win. If healthy, I would, our injuries play right into their strengths.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Most didn't see us beating the Bengals or the Steelers, But here we are.
  4. AmericasTeam31

AmericasTeam31 Active Member

1,226 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I see it a bit differently. To me, the way you have to defend them is to not let RG beat you with his legs at all. That doesn't necessarily mean he beats you with his arm though either. Make Morris beat you. Make sure you DE and OLB are NOT crashing down on the run, making him consistently hand the ball to Morris. You have help in the middle. You have no help on the edge vs RG. At least in the middle numbers are on your side. Our front 7 has to win this game on defense. We know we can score with them, that's not the issue. But we have to make them work for it, we can't give them the big pass plays we gave them in Dallas. This is not a Garrett coached team, they are stubborn with the run and play action even when they are trailing. They will NOT just abandon the run game if we go up 10 early.
  5. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

459 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I hate looking past the opponent we are to face this week, but I must say that it is looking more and more like the final game against Washington will be what decides everything. Of course, we need to beat New Orleans, and it would help if the Ravens beat the Giants. Anyway......

I think Rob and our coaching staff really need to study the Redskins offense and try and come up with a way to identify when RG3 intends to hand the ball off or keep the ball himself and run. To me, that was what killed us the first game. Even with our injuries on defense, they are banged up on the offensive line and, other than RG3, do not have elite athletes on the offensive side. Alfred Morris is pretty good and Pierre Garcon is a decent player, but nothing that really scares me.

That pistol offense reminds me of a high school offense. It won't last long in the NFL. Eventually, RG3 will have to spend as much time throwing from the pocket, if not more time, than he does running outside of it.

Something else we need to do is knock the piss out of RG3 every chance we get. I am fully aware of the officials propensity to throw a flag every time you look at a quarterback wrong, but to me that is how you stop a quarterback from being so comfortable running it out of the pocket.

There defense does not scare me and is below average. It would be a travesty if that defense got to play in the playoffs. They suck and it's something we can definitely take advantage of.
  6. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,978 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Amen!
  7. hookemducks

hookemducks New Member

6 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We may be depleted, but we can play the spoiler. I say we'll realistically lose, but will be wooping it up if they pull it off!
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,503 Messages
    6,249 Likes Received
    That's not a very complete team in their own right. We should have the advantage on a neutral field. I think the primary thing they've got going for them is being at home with everything on the line. We can readily win that game.
  9. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    the problem playing the skins is we are so injured up the middle of our defense we have turn to be bad vs the run. Our inexperienced linebackers will bite on play fakes the skins run atleast once every first down:D and have a wide open WR.

This is the biggest problem I have. Stopping there run game. Added to the the fact that our safeties suck and we have a recipe for disaster vs good run/play-action teams.

If we are gong to win we have to strike early often and fast. And we are going to have to stop them or atleast hold them to field goals some how. Heck even turnovers would be nice and we cannot turn the ball over.
  10. Cincycowboy

Cincycowboy Member

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree. The best way to beat a high powered team like NO or washington is to grind it out. We need to finish with TD, but control the TOP. Limit RGIII's possessions. Remember, we didnt have Murray in game one and we never used Harris / Beasley that much. If we ru our offense the way we did last week, we win the next 2 games and win the division. If we try the throw throw throw, score fast mode, we lose. Defense will get too tired.
  11. Galian Beast

8,932 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    In games where RG3 has thrown 28 times or more:

1 Win (by 2 points against Tampa Bay)
    5 Losses

A shootout almost certainly is in our favor.
  12. AmericasTeam31

AmericasTeam31 Active Member

1,226 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    But we are 3-3 when Romo throws more than 40 passes, and we are 3-0 in games where he throws less than 30 passes. We are also 8-6 on games played on days that end with a "y"....
  13. Galian Beast

8,932 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    And there is a difference between throwing for strategy and throwing from behind.
  14. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

722 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    OP is right, you stop the run at any cost. Moreso Alfred Morris then RG3. You also want to make sure the Skins WRs don't get behind the defense.

honestly, with Carter and Lee, I would be confident in a Cowboy win.

The game on thanksgiving, we gave them too many points. Don't turn the ball over, I think the game is a toss up.
  15. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    A shootout is the only way possible because their defense may be a little weak but their offense is unstoppable. Unfortunately, cold weather, grass, that usually doesn't favor a shootout-type of game
  16. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Member

743 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Does everyone around here think beating the Saints is a slam dunk? Let's concentrate on the Saints and worry about the Skins next week.
  17. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

722 Messages
    81 Likes Received

i don't think it's a slam dunk but I also don't believe in msg board jinxes lol.

plus the Saints game might not even matter if the Ravens beat the giants..
  18. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido Member

406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did you realize that "one dimensional" team has rushed for over 140 yards five of the past seven weeks and that terrible defense just shut out the Tampa Bay team that was among the league leaders in scoring and has accounted for 14 turnovers over the past five weeks? Just saying ...
  19. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido Member

406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Believe me, it matters to the Saints. They are still mathematically alive.
  20. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

722 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Freeman was awful in that game. Romo is not Freeman.