1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Because Brainpaint needs a chuckle...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/10/gop-cross-overs-earmarks-gain-billion-spending/

GOP Cross-Overs Have Earmarks to Gain in $410 Billion Spending Bill
    Almost all of the Republican senators who are either expected to support the spending bill or are considering supporting the bill have billions of dollars worth of earmarks in the package.

Senate Democrats are expected to win over just enough Republicans to move forward on a controversial $410 billion spending bill by the end of the night Tuesday.

But it may come as no surprise that almost all of the Republican senators who are either expected to support the bill or are considering supporting the bill have billions of dollars worth of earmarks in the package.

The earmark-mania is not unique to either party -- both Democrats and Republicans contributed to what Taxpayers for Common Sense estimates is 8,570 disclosed earmarks worth $7.7 billion in the bill that would fund the government through the end of the fiscal year.

But the Republican crossovers in particular have a lot at stake in the package. Of the three Republicans that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has on his "definite" list, two of them have authored 129 total earmarks worth $190 million, according to an updated list from Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., is actually the second-biggest earmarker, according to the list, with 64 earmarks worth $114 million. Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss., is a few notches down, with 65 earmarks worth $76 million.

Both are expected to support the omnibus bill -- along with Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe, who has zero earmarks.

They would help Reid attain the 60 votes needed to shut off debate on the bill and move it toward final passage. A number of other Republicans are considered possible supporters, and all of them have earmarks to gain.

Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., for instance has $86 million in earmarks; Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, has $74 million; and Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., has $25 million.
    Shelby told FOX News Monday that he's vetted all his earmarks.

"I wouldn't want to be associated with an earmark on an appropriation that didn't have a lot of merit to it," he said, adding that the system has been abused by some lawmakers. "What we need to do is vet it more and more. I wouldn't want to give up our right to appropriate money," he said. "Otherwise, we cede it to the president, whoever that is. ... But on the other hand, any earmark you have, it ought to have merit, or we shouldn't do it."

Shelby's earmarks span the gamut, from $800,000 for oyster rehabilitation at the University of South Alabama, to $380,000 to the city of Tarrant, Ala., for streetscaping and walkways.

The top earmarker, by value, is a Democrat -- Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia, with $123 million worth of earmarks. The senator with the most earmarks, regardless of their value, is Specter with 134.

Other Republicans, like Sen. John McCain, have tried to strip the earmarks from the bill, unsuccessfully. But Democratic Sens. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., and Russ Feingold, D-Wis., also broke off from their party out of opposition to spending measures like the earmarks.

"It looks as if Congress is just on auto pilot, immune to the problems" of Americans, Bayh told a Sunday talk show.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,982 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    You will Burn mister...BURNNNN!!!! :laugh2: :p:
  3. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, that's just how I roll.

;)
  4. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,520 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    thats just "ugly and incenditary", that post was just for entertainment value

:rolleyes:
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,364 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I hope they all burn. Seriously, this is no time for Democrat or Republican to take advantage of the people like this. I'm an equal opportunity fry guy. I say let every dang one of em burn.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    Don't you try to derail Cajuns friendly jab at me.

Now...you have been told. :p: ;)
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,364 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I'm not sayan....... I'm just sayan........

:whip:
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he was wanting ME to burn. But that opinion may be shared by more than one in here. :D
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Tom Clancy took care of the problem in Debt of Honor. That is looking more and more attractive a way to go every day.
  10. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received

I agree. Politics in this country has become nothing more than "whats in it for me" mentality. Nothing ever really gets done. Too many people not wanting to vote for something because theres nothing for them to gain, despite whether a bill is good or not.

Its all enough to really turn your stomach, and wonder if our entire govt is broken and needs a complete rebuild.
  11. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I was thinking term limits (not the book)...That was a Japanese airplane that took out the house if I recall. Its been years since I read that book. Jack Ryan, new president.
  12. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,721 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    as long as Alec Baldwin isn't playing Jack Ryan...
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,982 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    Ryan was either the secretary of defense or the national security advisor in that book...so whichever he was I guess would be whoever the real person is under Obama...I guess gates or whoever is the National Security advisor is right now.