1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

because they hate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by iceberg, Apr 16, 2008.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    anyone read this book?

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Sale-Section/Politics/Contemporary-Issues/Because-They-Hate/21832

Brigitte Gabriel lost her childhood to militant Islam. In 1975 she was ten years old and living in Southern Lebanon when militant Muslims from throughout the Middle East poured into her country and declared jihad against the Lebanese Christians. Lebanon was the only Christian influenced country in the Middle East, and the Lebanese Civil War was the first front in what has become the worldwide jihad of fundamentalist Islam against non-Muslim peoples. For seven years, Brigitte and her parents lived in an underground bomb shelter. They had no running water or electricity and very little food; at times they were reduced to boiling grass to survive.

Because They Hate is a political wake-up call told through a very personal memoir frame. Brigitte warns that the US is threatened by fundamentalist Islamic theology in the same way Lebanon was -- radical Islam will stop at nothing short of domination of all non-Muslim countries. Gabriel saw this mission start in Lebanon, and she refuses to stand silently by while it happens here. Gabriel sees in the West a lack of understanding and a blatant ignorance of the ways and thinking of the Middle East. She also points out mistakes the West has made in consistently underestimating the single-mindedness with which fundamentalist Islam has pursued its goals over the past thirty years.

Fiercely articulate and passionately committed, Gabriel tells her own story as well as outlines the history, social movements, and religious divisions that have led to this critical historical conflict.
    ----------

interesting viewpoints from someone who've directly lived under it. but i'm sure we just misunderstand the fanaticals.
  2. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good article. Good to see them being dealt with in Iraq, Afghanistan, and "God willing," soon to be Iran.
  3. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    i do want to get the book and read through it now. a friend here at work got it and i may borrow his when he's done.
  4. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    That point of view is certainly in line with the god's teachings.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,619 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    So where is Sultan claiming that its all our fault?
  6. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    beats me. has anyone read this book or heard of it before?
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,269 Likes Received
    No sorry...much as I run my mouth on here I admit that political books or books about the middle east are not on my desired reading list.:D
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've seen her interviewed several times on Fox News. She is a very intelligent woman and has a great perspective on this whole thing. Interesting to listen to as well. You may be able to find some of the interviews archived at fox news.com.
  9. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    normally me either. which is why you see me read part of an article when i'm in a hurry and cherry pick my answers : )

this just seems like a great perspective to look into.

cajun - thanks for the input - i'll see what i can find!
  10. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another perspective positing that a "radical" segment of a religious group contrary to "christianity" wants to destroy us.

i'll pass.

The United States just needs to stay vigilant and put the interest of it's people ahead of individual interests and everything will take of itself.
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So a first hand account means nothing?

[IMG]
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It's a bit simplistic to think it's all religion. Religion is simply the convenient tool for ideologues to push their own political agenda. Religion is powerful and I doubt there's much like that moves people to action, but the core of the conflict is political ideologies at odds.

And do they want a greater base of power for their own ideology? Of course they do. How can they do such a thing? Diminsh the power and influence of the United States prevailing ideology.

Her words have merit.
  13. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's an extremely appropriate picture.

Anyone that still needs, as you declare, "a first hand" account that "extremists" would like to see the United States in ruin is either credulous or have had their head stuck in the sand.

Saying that "militant islam" wants to shape the world in thier own view and a sizable portion of said view is getting rid of the United States is kind of like predicting that the sun will rise:

[IMG]
  14. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    it's to a degree like a modern day ann frank.
  15. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    what part of "kill the infidel" that the FANTATICAL (got that sultan, fanatical?) muslem follows confuses you?
  16. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Doesn't confuse me at all.

There is no question the United States has enemies and certain elements within Islam are counted among them.

Just weird that people still need a brand spanking new documentary to become "informed" or to get a "first hand" account.

I don't need to see a documentary telling me that certain elements in Islam want US dead, 911 was sufficient.
  17. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    mick - sorry. i was going off on another point not really related to your post. didn't mean you.
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well obviously some people do need it as they still think 9/11 was an inside job or that somehow America brought it on ourselves or some other screwball notion.

Those want to have dialog with terrorists (read Carter) might benefit from actually seeing this information.
  19. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,116 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    "Militant Islam" is an oxymoron.

There have always been fringe groups, human nature being what it is, that have existed in what is called "Dar-al Islam", or the abode/lands predominantly occupied by Muslims. The general body of the Muslims, or the "Ummah", has always taken care of them. The problem is since the decay of the Ottoman Empire early last century due to its own decrepitness, the Muslims as a whole have been witnessing a relatively new phenomenon where the land that they used to inhabit has been carved up into nation-states (typical divide and conquer strategy) with borders that make little or no sense as far as the culture and religion is concerned, but whose nonsensical borders have been used to feed the appetite of the economic masters that currently rule this world. Colonialism left in its wake ignorance among the masses, corrupt leaders in power, and what we see are various manifestations of the Muslim world trying to right itself among a false demarcation of geographical borders. So, you have a mixture of people trying to establish their ways, from the minute amount of extremists who make the most noise, to the small amount of liberals who want the same licentiousness that is allowed to reside in the West, and then you have the majority in the middle who want to establish Islam as the ideology as instituted by the beloved rasul. The problem is, other countries, particularly the US keep interfering for reasons only known to those who run things in the upper levels of the pyramid.

The US military presence in the Middle East has very little to do with getting rid of "militant Islam", and only the naive think it does.
  20. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So we are the problem. All that stuff boiled down to that. We are "interfering" because we want to kill them there and not have them here. That should be pretty clear without a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

as for our presence getting rid of militant islam, I don't think anyone thinks the presence along is going to do it, but by helping to establish democracies in an area that has long since been ruled by dictators, we hope to see some improvement.

In the end, everyone of these pigs that claim to be islamic that we kill, (and by the way I do not believe they are as I think the majority of muslims want peace with the possible exception of isreal , I think they are just blind fools), the better off Americans will be along with most muslims.