1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bed Bugs

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by muck4doo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Just found out that the neighbors who lived in the apartment across from me had bed bugs, and that's why the apartment ripped out all their carpets last week when they moved out. They also fumigated and left that apartment door open. I'm supposed to move out at the end of the month, and now wonder if I should throw everything away. I'm so mad at the apartments right now for not telling me that was what was going on there. I heard it from someone in the know there. I haven't seen any evidence of them here, but am paranoid of those things. I hate even staying in hotels.
  2. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,119 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Has the property manager done anything about it? I'm sure they can send bug guys in to check for you.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,783 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Recently I've heard that dryer sheets in between your mattresses deter them. Just don't try to burn them out like the guy on the news.
  4. muck4doo

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    They were willing to let me move out without telling me what happened. That's what makes me mad. Calling them tomorrow. That's how that kind of crap spreads. I haven't noticed any evidence of bed bugs here in my place, but think it is is best to get rid of everything and start again, unless they pay for pest inspectors to make sure that crap didn't spread here.

/Bed bugs are serious business
    //Can't believe I am even dealing with this and my apartments tried to hide it from me.
  5. muck4doo

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    The problem is they know what is going on, and are hiding it. This is how things spread. It's wrong.
  6. muck4doo

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    No evidence it is here. I haven't woke up with those marks, but they shouldn't hide that the possibility is there. Bed bugs from what i know are difficult to get rid of.
  7. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,119 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    The only thing I know that gets rid of them is extreme heat. I've been told the chemical used to kill them has been banned and that's why they are pretty much everywhere now which sucks.
  8. muck4doo

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    The apartments should make sure everyone doesn't have them before letting anyone moving out. If one has them they should make sure no one else does.
  9. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,418 Messages
    172 Likes Received

My family owns a Pest Control company in the Chicagoland area. I can tell you, Bedbugs are not good.

A few things:

Go get mattress protectors/BedBug resistant ones, cover your matress and box spring, for at least a year. Do the same with pillows, might cost you $50-$100 per mattress, $20 per pillow.
    Wash all clothing in hot water.
    If you find a good pest control company, get in inspection, and if you do not have them, they will not force a service on you. Usually you will find casing from their bodies between the mattresses, and little blood stains.
  10. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If you had them, you would know it. I work in healthcare and read ER charts for a living. People that have bed bugs have horrible, itchy bites all over their skin! :eek:
  11. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I was watching some Pest Control show and they took all of this guy's belongings and put them in their heat room, which would kill any infestation in any of the stuff.

Good to know that type of thing exists, just in case.
  12. muck4doo

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Don't have any itches or bites on me from what I see, but this has just got me paranoid. The apartment manager is supposed to call me tomorrow morning. I want an inspection to happen before I move out. If I have to I will throw away all my furniture. Just thinking about it makes me itchy and grossed out.