1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Before you say we draft poorly

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by XxTDxX, Nov 18, 2013.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,388 Messages
    3,673 Likes Received
    Starting talent perhaps. Backup talent, NO. Drafts prior to 2010 did not product much and it shows. Very nice write up!
  2. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,424 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    go back one more year, and you will have plenty to put on the bust lists for the Cowboys!
  3. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,546 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Cowboys drafting post 2009 has been decent. Not enough to withstand the impact of horrifyingly bad drafting the previous years.
  4. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,635 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    I'm sure fans of the other teams in the NFC East would probably list Claiborne as a bust. And so far, I'd have a hard time defending him as something other than a bust. Right now, there isn't a whole lot of seperation between Claiborne and a B.W.Webb or Pellerin. Claiborne better start showing something real soon. Being the 6th pick and potential won't save him from the bench if he doesn't pick up his game soon.

Good work on the OP.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,558 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    2010 is the Garrett Era, which is probably why he used that timeframe.
  6. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,742 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Dumb website , I can think of the jags , bills , browns and raiders just off my head that are far worse than us .
  7. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

739 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Correct.
  8. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

739 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Lee and Bryant will both be pro bowlers this year.
  9. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    ...but the whole NFC East is bad this year. Saying we're on par with other teams in perhaps the worst division in the NFL isn't high praise.
  10. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Maybe T. Smith too.
  11. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,033 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Sean Lee: great player; injury prone.

Demarco Murray: good player; injury prone.

Morris Claiborne: is he even a good player considering we gave up a 1st and 2nd? Mostly injured.

Tyrone Crawford. Little idea about his ability in the 4-3. Injured.

Bruce Carter: hasn’t lived up to expectations so far in the 4-3.

I see you haven’t included this years 2nd round pick Escobar.

As for the rest it’s too early to tell.

Are they playing because there’s nobody else?

So the drafting has been a bit better but I wouldn’t say it’s been great when you look at what we spent to get Claiborne & Escobar.
    munkee likes this.
  12. strasscat

strasscat Member

83 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    That's why i dont have any problems whith Jerry as a GM, but i have a problem with Jerry as an owner, The coaching staff might be the worst in the NFL, that's on him.
  13. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

903 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    I'm afraid you're right.
  14. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,409 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    The cowboys have had better drafts lately but the draft but drafts prior to 2010 are probably the reason we have 0 depth. Those drafts still hurt this team.
  15. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,452 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    I think that you have it backwards....the GM hires the coaches...the owner approves it, but it is still the decision of the GM...and, as far as the draft and JJ's GM-menship are concerned, I think sine 2010, that is ONE thing that JJ the GM did OK at...there are numerous other things that JJ the GM has not done well
  16. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,773 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    We need to "draft" better coaching.
  17. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,050 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    2014 will be a make or break year for the Jones Garrett Jones Show in the draftroom...If Jerruh is smart he will pickup a safety DT, DE, G (and of course a TE in the 1st round. NOT)
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    It's the way the draft works for most teams. I'm sure if you were able to get draft cards for these teams, they would have given virtually every player drafted the same grade. Most of it really comes down to the ability to develop talent. That's not Wade's strongsuit. He's actually an incredible X's and O's coach and gameplanner, but developing talent is something that always hurt him.

Now we are seeing the opposite. A better developer of talent who struggles with the X's and O's. Kinda ironic given Wade was looked at like the country bumpkin and we always hear about Jason Garrett's Ivy League credentials.

The only thing we don't do is we don't stockpile picks. With the injury rate in the NFL, I think it's a must in order to consistently produce players from each draft. We don't make many great draft day steals. That's a Jerry problem, yet it never gets mentioned because it gets lost in the other 'let's blame Jerry for something completely innocuous.'

YR
  19. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,050 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    I love the Broncos big recievers. I would like to see guys like that drafted so Romo would have many large targets and not have to rely on favorites like Witten (getting old and slow) and Bryant (incapable of running diverse routes) Add WR to the list on draft day and trade Witten/Bryant.
  20. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,510 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Dallas has become an average team at drafting over the past three or so years, which is improvement. They still aren't one of the great drafting teams, but hopefully something like 2009 will never, ever happen again.