1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Beginning of the decline for Ware?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by wick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I used to say that but this year almost if not all have been blatant offsides.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,199 Messages
    1,328 Likes Received
    I saw a replay I think it was the Seattle game where it showed he moved with the ball. That is the one I can remember this year.
  3. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,145 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Early in his career, I would agree, but as time has gone on, I would submit that most, if not all, of his offsides are him clearly being offsides.

For the record, I've NEVER said I dislike Ware or what he brings to the table (for anyone who doubts it, I say show me where I have) as a player, as he is a sure-fire HOFer and a valuable player on this defense.

Personal stats aside, I do maintain that he is a key member of a core group of players that has continually underperformed as a team.
  4. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,938 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Part of the problem that I see with Ware and his speed rush is that most competent LTs can defeat it easily.

I've been saying for a few years now that Ware needs to develop some kind of inside move. If an LT can get/keep his legs under him, it's easy to use Ware's own momentum to take him wide/out of the play, openning up a lane/area for a QB to step up into.

Of course, part of that is also lack of pass rush from the DE/DT, but that's for another thread.

Ware is good for at least one sack a game, but often it seems like he'll disappear for whole drives. He is still one of the strongest pass rushers in the league and still one of the fastest, even if he has lost step. IF he's not getting help from the other players, he needs to step up his game, learn a new move, do something different to compensate for what's not happening elsewhere on the line.

Sidenote: his offsides didn't end up hurting Dallas, but he's good for at least one of those a game, especially late in games when the defense needs a stop. It's one of those little problems that have never seemed to have been coached out of him (if addressed at all), but I think that's part of an organizational problem, not so much w/ Ware.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    Then get him a stud across from him - ahem Von Miller - and then let's see how offenses double Mr. Ware.

In regard to Mr. Ware's losing his skills, I will quote Mark Twain upon hearing about his death.

“The report of my death was an exaggeration.”
  6. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Didn't we have this same discussion about Witten? The "experts" here said he was done.

As I understand it, we need to replace Romo, Witten, and now Ware. Oh, I forgot Austin. He is down too, right? Oh crap, I also read here that we have to find a replacement for Ratliff cause he is all used up.

Am I forgetting anyone.

:rolleyes:
  7. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received

I too find this to be mind blowing. Ware has set the bar so high for himself that he's judged by a totally different standard. I guess it comes with the territory of being great. He's easily a top 10 player in the league, offense or defense. The guys who play against him would support that statement.
  8. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,197 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    That we should just cut our losses with Dez.
  9. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You are so right sir. Someone even went so far as to label him a corpse, and had the unmitigated gall to suggest that we should've kept Marty B over him. :lmao2:
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Man I'm laughing too... SMH. People just babble crazy stuff!

:facepalm:
  11. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,641 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Good observation. Lee was a stud in coverage over the middle, and both did a great job stopping the run. Ware can't freewheel from the corner as much, if at all.

Spencer's play this year, and in my opinion, years previous also, gives Dallas a great LB core for next year.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Now Rat showed everyone he isn't done by playing about 20% of the snaps this year but played them really well only when he is healthy.

Everyone has to face the truth - when guys start getting dinged up every year with the same kind of problem it is a sign that part of their body is giving out and you don't have to lose much before you are done in this league.

Ware may have a couple more really good years but we will increasingly need to spare him for the nickel defense more and more. We probably should have started doing it this year but we don't have enough depth at OLB to allow it. It seemed like we were trying to get Wilber more involved last night and Butler played a few snaps and badly beat the LT who was stonewalling Ware much of the game.

A dominant pass rushing OLB is a major need next season. We have to let Spencer go so as not to invest too much in any one position. We probably can't have tow $10+M OLBs and a high first round pick with all the other needs on this roster (Safety, OL) that need to be addressed.
  13. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,948 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    To who's standards, did you really expect him to get 20 plus sacks every year.....not that you do, but I think many do.
    Retire?....he's only 30....
  14. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,909 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Threads like this make me dread pulling up this.forum
  15. wick

wick Active Member

737 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    You guys are nuts if you think Ware is the same player he was three or four years ago. As I said initially, he's still very good, but he is not as good as he was then. That by definition means he is declining.
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,596 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    This is almost as dumb as the threads suggesting Witten was done and should have been moved on from.
  17. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Spencer is a more valuable player to this defense at this point. Ware, he's been having a rough season no doubt. He might be declining or just having a tough year. He's far from done though.

I think Ryan needs to spell Ware way more than he does right now. He's our best pass rusher right now, and believe rit or not. We need him healthy not just this year, but for the future as well.

Look at what happened to Ratliff. He seamingly fell off the planet one year to the next. We need a healthy rotation not just a good core. Depth wins in the NFL.
  18. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,836 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    I agree with this. Still love the guy though.
  19. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,077 Messages
    454 Likes Received

That approach paid off 2 major dividends for Giants (2 SB's) they went on a tare a few years back and got a bunch of DE's.