1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Behold Jerry's football salvation

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, May 9, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    even worse is Cleveland does not have a good running game to help take pressure off of Manziel as SF does, seattle as RGIII had in 2012.
  2. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,262 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    Over the course of NFL history, a lot of teams with a lot of needs have passed on a lot of guys who would have immediately helped them in a major way, so "other teams didn't want him either" doesn't hold much water for me.
    khiladi likes this.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    And that's the beauty of sports. Manziel could be great, and I could be wrong. Not the first time for sure.

However, no way was he worth the risk of a first round pick, as many teams apparently agreed. Too many quarterbacks bust to begin with, let alone a guy of his diminutive stature. He's built like Vick, who has never beaten good defenses and has been hurt every season of his career.
  4. DOUBLE WING

3,262 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    RB's are a dime a dozen. Cleveland will probably get a good one in this draft.
    cowboyfan4life2 likes this.
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    It will all play out. But you're right, I can't stand Manziel or what he and his dysfunctional family of drama queens stand for. Guilty as charged.

I'd take a shot on him in a later round, but no way in the first. I think the odds are 80 percent that he fails. I think the odds are about 1 percent that Martin fails. Easy choice.
  6. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

6,165 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    ... and don't forget the ad nauseum (as if we don't get enough) talking heads, silly, hyperbolic, over-exaggerated, etc, etc coverage of the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo.
  7. foofighters

foofighters Active Member

274 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    lol, you are sensitive! Here you go... /hug
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    avg RB are a dime a dozen but like any position tops RB are not. Marshawn Lynch is not some dime a dozen RB for the hawks nor are some of the other top RB in this leauge. They produce in the running game, passing game blocking and redzone situation. Funny how seahawk and 9ers both ranked in the top 5 in rushing yet ranked very low in passing game. Both threw the ball less than any other teams in the NFL.
  9. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Really? Where did you get sensitive? I didn't agree with his POV I stated so. How is that sensitive?
  10. DOUBLE WING

3,262 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    80 percent is ridiculously high.

I have no problem with Martin. I am quite certain he'll be a solid player. In a vaccuum, I don't mind the pick. I do mind the pick knowing that we could have had Manziel. Martin will be a very good player if he pans out. Manziel will be a franchise changer if he pans out.
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    I think 80 percent is actually low. Look, the kid was amazing in college. He's got a gift about him. And certainly, if anyone at that size can do it, it's him.

But RG3 is already crippled. Kaepernick is struggling. Russell Wilson is somewhat of a bus driver on a great team. It never happened for Vick. And he spent most of his college career chucking it up in the air for Evans and Swope, and they came down with it. That won't work up here.

Manziel has the benefit of a decent roster to work with, and I expect a short span of reasonable success. But then, BAM!, there goes some ribs, a knee, a few concussions, and his general spirit. It already happened to RG3; he's a shadow of his college self now. These aren't college kids bringing the heat in the NFL, and soon, he won't be a 20-year-old invincible either.

He wasn't worth the 16th pick, period. 47th? OK, let's do it. But not early. Way too much baggage and uncertainty, and too short of a career ahead.
  12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,964 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    Interesting about what you said "maybe even brent." He is out of jail in June I think, but even if re un-retired he would probably be suspended for a year, no?
  13. CowboyStar88

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    While I think JFB will be a good player down the road, you are forgetting that Hoyer was no slouch and can play. If they are going anywhere it's because he will be playing good ball and he's still young. If Romo was 27 I would be saying the same thing. If JFB was here he wouldn't be ready for a year or 2 and it would've worked out as I don't see Romo playing 2 more years physically.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    He already missed a year and a half. I think that would be taken into account.
  15. cwbyfn1957

cwbyfn1957 Member

95 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I agree with all of this. I knew last night it was the right pick, but was still angry he didn't take Manziel. A pick like that only comes once in a blue moon, you have to take him, was my line of thought. But i woke up this morning believing it was the right move and i, also, applaud the War Room for making the right choice.
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    If Manziel was an NFL quarterback, Houston would have pounced on him. They NEED a quarterback in the worst way. He's from there. He would have sold jerseys and tickets all day long. He would have put the Cowboys on the backburner, while Houston grabbed all the headlines.

A great quarterback made sense for Houston more than anyone. And they said no.

Truth be told, there may not be a good quarterback in this draft. Most don't pan out. Look at Tannehill, Locker, Ponder, RG3, Clausen, Weeden, Geno, Manuel, J Russell, Gabbert, Freeman, and even Dalton is fading. Busts abound, it appears.

It'll all play out, but first rounders are valuable and can't be missed on.
  17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,964 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    Very interesting twist.
  18. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

949 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    Wow that was amazing just beautiful. I got a tear in my eye because this team had done the right things this off season
  19. CowboyStar88

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    The theme was about Clowney has been for the last year. I personally think they do like Case as a player and a prospect. That could be a possible reason why they didn't take him or take Bridgewater. I think them not taking a QB maybe an endorsement in that.

Now some of those QBs you mention are young in their careers. I think there are some good young QBs in those that you listed that are far from Busts, but I don't feel like going over each one. Yes you are right lots of QBs bust in the first round that happens. The draft is a 50/50 chance kinda thing, You can either play or you can't. That shouldn't stop you from taking a potential franchise QB.
    starfrombirth likes this.
  20. DOUBLE WING

3,262 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    You keep going back to the RG3 thing and I don't understand why. The guy has two years in the league. Let's get him a year removed from the knee injury before we start carving his tombstone.

Russell Wilson a bus driver. I can't even wrap my head around that. Look at the numbers, watch the guy play. He's been the best QB out of that draft (better than Luck) and he's got almost no weapons around him in the passing game. When they get some legit passing targets he's going to be an absolute nightmare for defenses. And I think Manziel is better than Wilson in every facet of the game.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.