1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bench Press Help

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCowboy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,467 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    I am 5'11" 260 lbs and I can only bench 135 lbs. I want to improve this. Some say do dips and I do, but I want to hear anyone's tips or strategy.

Thanks
  2. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Start with bench pressing 135 till you can do it 10 times.

Then bench press 145 til you can do it 10 times.

Then bench press 155 til you can do it 10 times.

Step and repeat until you get up to 2000 lbs.
  3. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Just keep lifting, and every couple of weeks try to add a little more weight.

There are no shortcuts.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would say, follow this except add until you can do three sets of 10 with no more than 2 minutes between each set. Don't bench press by yourself. Especially with weight at or over 80% of your max or any weight till exhaustion.

Also, I would do 5lbs increases rather than 10lbs increases. If you move up 5lbs and can still do 3 sets, add five more pounds.

I would do more than bench press too. You don't want to only work specific muscles. You will look odd once they start to grow and while other muscles do not. :laugh2:

EDIT: btw, if you can't do three sets of 10 at your current weight, then lower the weight until you can and start from there.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,237 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Do tricep exercises such as dips and do them on days you are not doing chest exercises.

Do dumbbell flys both flat and inclined.

Do some shoulder exercises to protect your rotator cuff. Heaving bench press workouts can put a strain on the rotator cuff. Also weak rotator cuffs can limit how much you bench.
  6. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Not sure what your goal is.

Are you just trying to get stronger only on bench press?

I ask because - I'm going to put it bluntly - at 260lbs you are pretty weak. Not saying it's bad. Some people don't have to put up 400 lbs. That's why I'm asking you what your goal is. Generally, if you can do your body weight once, then you're not too bad off. So, you should at least be doing 260lbs.

If you are trying to work on all around fitness I would tackle the problem differently. If you are just trying to improve bench press I would approach it another way.

Basically you have to exchange some of that extra weight (if it's not muscle) to some useful muscle mass.

Benching takes natural strenght. That's a given. But, good technique can help tremedously.

I'm only 185lbs, but back when I was lifting hard (for work former military) I could bench 415lbs max. Rep 225lbs 20+ times. I've always been strong for me weight/size etc.

Pyramid workout. Start at a base weight and stack more weight till you reach your goal. Do it over time. Don't over train and hurt yourself.

Stick with core strength. Don't waste too much time on the synergistic exercises i.e. incline dumbell presses, yada yada, it's not rocket science. You get stronger by doing...

Good luck!
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Steroids.....It worked for Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa. :D
  8. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    They could afford the good stuff. HGH.

HGH actually changes your body type! Steroids on the other hand increase RBC's thus inflating muscles cells etc. You don't tend to keep the mass that steroid provides.

HGH on the other hand makes your melon grow bigger ala Barry Bonds...
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,155 Messages
    4,341 Likes Received
    Some great advice in here. Good luck!
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
  11. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    and other things shrink :laugh2:
  12. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received

:bow:
  13. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    If I were you I would get on a cardio plan and drop some weight. I am 6 ft and 245lbs and Im a rather muscular guy. I can put up 285 which is still not alot for my weight. If I were you I would do some drop sets. Start with 135lb bench that as many time till you cant do it anymore. Drop it down to 125lb bench that as man times as you can. Drop it to 115lbs and do the same repeat 3x. You can adjust the weight to whatever you want, but that builds some muscle staminia and I see huge gains in my stregnth when I do drop sets.
  14. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Honestly bulking up some muscle would help him lose weight in the long run, each pound of muscle gained results in an extra 70-75 calories burned a day by doing nothing.

What you should do if losing weight is one of your goals is work every muscle group, focus alot on the back/legs as they are big groups of muscles and therefor you will put on more muscle quicker, resulting in weight loss in the long run.

Gaining a pound of muscle a month would be a modest goal if you work hard and eat alot of protein(which at 260 lbs, im sure you do), that'd be 12 pounds of muscle a year, resulting in you burning when at rest around 800 calories more per day(around 80 pounds a year!). Do some cardio, but when trying to drop fat weight training is best friend.

(Edit: By dropping weight, I mean dropping fat. Obviously when you put on muscle your weight will go up lol, but fat will go down over time).

Plus best part of trying to drop weight this way is you can continue to enjoy food, as in a year you'll be burning alot more weight quicker without having to run on the treadmill endlessly.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Power in the bench comes from triceps, pectorals, and deltoids a lot more than it does biceps. Those are your target muscle groups for bigger and better benches.

If you can do dips at your body weight you should be able to bench a lot more than you are. You could be using really bad technique. Dips are the best exercise ever and you can develop more muscle groups faster than any other single exercise for power and mass.

Herschel Walker never lifted weights. He did pushups, situps, and wind sprints for years and added distance running later.

For development of the areas you need to get your bench up I suggest chin ups, push ups, and dips as well as actual work on the bench. You also need some cardio to get oxygen moving in your blood stream. It helps you rebound faster from workouts.

What Kapaloni said in his posts is dead on. What is your goal? That matters more than people realize. Without goals in lifting you plateau. You have to push past the plateaus to reach peaks.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I disagree. Squats are the single best exercise.
  17. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,633 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I did a workout that added to my max pretty quickly. It's called the 5x5. Look it up online. Basically you do 5 sets of 5, with the same weight for each set.

P90x is a good one to get your body confused and adding muscle quickly. I put on 7 pounds in about three weeks.
  18. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    When I needed help increasing my bench press I'd get my brother to help me do negatives.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,237 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    That or cleans.
  20. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I disagree.

Squats for your average joe gets more people hurt than any other exercise.

In BUDs all we did was pushups, dips, pullups, and ran our ***** off.

I don't even lift weights anymore. All I need is my pullup bar and some extra space.

When you do dips you hit way more muscles than squats.

But, it all boils down to what your goal is. You wouldn't do squats if you're trying to build upper body strength. Likewise, you wouldn't do dips to rehabilitate a knee injury either (wouldn't do squats then as well).

People think they have to get all exotic and do 50 million different exercises. You don't.

Do the exercise you're trying to get better/stronger at.

FWIW - pull ups separates the men from the boys. I'm not talking bout sissy marine chin-ups. Pull ups with thumbs in.