1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Benefit of hosting a super bowl?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by ykc, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I read somewhere that the NFL gets all the ticket sales.
    Local economy get a big boost with hotels/restaurants being full for 2 weeks, but what is the benefit for Jerry to host the SB?
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    He gets to show case the Stadium for one and plays host to the event
  3. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Concessions & parking.
  4. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    That sounds like peanuts for someone like Jerry to go through all the hassle
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    not if he doubles the price. :laugh2:

Heck they are selling 200 dollar tickets to sit outside the stadium to watch the game. That means mo money, mo money, mo money :laugh2:
  6. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I believe the NFL gets that money too and they are considered as part of the people who "attended" this super bowl
  7. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

165 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I also think Jerry has other side businesses, IE media and food services.
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    Motivation.

He gets an up close look at what the Cowboys are missing on. Again.
  10. FootballFan1

FootballFan1 Member

296 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It is a big boost to the local economy. Big.

Hotels, restaurants, etc. When I went to a SB in New Orleans could not even book a hotel -- not happening. Had to find a place outside of NO. And people were spending lots of money.

So, for those local businesses to have that extra business in today's economy -- it is BIG for them.

Dallas is not a tourist town, more a business town. No one goes to Dallas on vacation -- unless they have family there. The beach please.

But I think if Dallas can host the SB, and do a good job of it, then the NFL will come back -- like they used to do with NO. Ask any local business person how much they like having the SB in Dallas -- smiles on every face -- guaranteed.

And the new stadium in Dallas + being able to close the open roof in bad weather -- who knows, maybe you will get more of them.

For me, it would be access to hotels, food, and convenience. The airport certainly is convenient to Dallas.
  11. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,847 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    The host team gets an allotment of about 5% of the tickets, but all the other teams (except the actual participants) get about only 2% each. I honestly don't know how club seats and luxury boxes are divided.

However, with Jerry I don't even think he cares about the money in this instance. I think he is perfectly happy with the prestige of having the biggest annual game in the world in his building.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I dunno. I'd open up the stadium for a pony show if I could sell a few million 8 dollar bottles of beer.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    And, if it's anything like the last Pacquiao fight, he'll get to hear:

"Jerry Jones' Dallas Cowboys Stadium"

Or

"Cowboys Stadium"

Or

"Jerry Jones Funhouse"

Or something along those line a few hundred times.
  14. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
  15. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Thanks, I was thinking something like this arrangement.
  16. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,618 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    exactly.
  17. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    as long as we dont get snow and ice wednesday like we are supposed to I cant imagine it not back in a few years. This place is perfect for the superbowl, the nfl is going to make a ton of money thanks to the size of the stadium and the suites.

It will probably be the biggest collection of wealthy stiffs the superbowl has ever seen come sunday. I cant imagine the league will not be thrilled with everything.

I can only imagine how much extra revenue is being made for the league this week with all the available space to sell media spots in that building.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    That is why we could host the super bowl every 3 or 4 years at the least. The NFL and team owners will be swimming in money.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
  20. FootballFan1

FootballFan1 Member

296 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yup, I know all about snow and ice in Dallas -- lived there for three years and one storm the ice was so thick it stayed for a week (no equipment to get rid of) -- and you CANNOT drive on ice. Snow, no problem. So if it is anything, hope for snow. I would like to see sunny skies for those folks that are coming -- it is a big deal for them -- a team being in the bowl. Except maybe the Pittsburgh fans -- a little ice will do them fine.

One of the reasons NO always got the SB was because it is a tourist spot --lots of fun things to do -- and it was a relatively new domed stadium. I visited there 4 times in 3 years when I lived in Dallas -- fun town, great food. But not a lot of nice hotels. In Dallas there are plenty of nice hotels, but the food during the mid '80's was pretty bad. The year we were leaving, a few good ones started up, so things may be different now. Have never been back.

As to a domed stadium, to me that is a must -- weather in my eyes should never influence a SB game - never. That rain in Miami a few years ago was ridiculous. These folks pay thousands of dollars to sit in the rain??? Nope, should not happen. And honestly, when I went, I did not like the NO stadium. Seats too far away from the field, bench like seats that moved when people got up -- just me, I didn't like it -- and I had great seats. Oh, they do serve margaritas though -- had lots of those as I watched the Pats get destroyed by Chicago. Another please. And another.

So yes, I would say that Dallas could in fact become a repeat SB host. Don't know much about all of the domed stadiums in the league, but I would not want to go to Detroit or Minneapolis in February -- just me. The Pats will obviously never get one -- I don't know why Kraft didn't build one. It is a nice stadium, but the weather is always a factor - good or bad.

I just checked the weather for Dallas on Sunday (not that it is going to be right so far out), but 60 degrees and partly cloudy. So, no problem.

Just hope GB wins.