1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best defenses of all time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ehcrossing, Feb 2, 2014.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received

You must have misread my post I just said Payton was their only great offensive player. He's clearly one of the greatest players in NFL history. Payton was virtually the 85 Bears entire offense leading the team in rushing and receiving. The Bears had a couple of solid players on the OL but other than Payton they had very little at QB and WR.

That 85 Bears team was all about their great defense which is why they're rated so high as a team. No one is saying the Rams, Vikings and the other teams you mentioned didn't have great defenses but this topic is about who had the greatest defense and none of those teams defenses are in the top 5.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,751 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    Doesn't really matter if it's the front 4 or 7.

Statistically, the Bears were not better. The rest, we pretty much don't agree on. All the more reason to look at what the Defenses were actually able to do.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,751 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    No, I didn't miss your post and you statement was wrong. Payton was not the only great offensive player the Bears had. You don't agree with that but it's true.
  4. KJJ

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    That's your opinion the stats don't have the Vikings Purple Gang or Rams Fearsome Foursome in the the conversation as the greatest "defenses" in NFL history. Those defenses had the greatest DL's ever most will agree with that but that's where the discussion ends. What the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 02 Bucs and 2013 Seahawks were actually able to do is win a championship in dominating fashion with their defense.
  5. KJJ

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    I gave my opinion and if you don't agree that's fine. If you think Jim McMahon and several others on that 85 Bears offense were "great" players that's your opinion. Your definition of "great" obviously differs from mine. Walter Payton was truly a great player and made the biggest impact on the Bears offense from the time he arrived in Chicago. The player who made the second biggest impact on the 85 Bears offense was The Fridge who didn't even play offense.