1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best Football Movie Ever

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, May 18, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,906 Messages
    2,723 Likes Received
    Just finished watching it again. It has been a long time since I have seen it.

[IMG]

If any of you haven't seen it, don't cheat yourself any longer. This movie is a true story and it will kick you in the gut.
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,730 Messages
    1,226 Likes Received
    That's a great one. I really love it.

I am more partial to Rudy though.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,177 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Great movie. Brian's Song is old enoough that there's a real chance some here haven't seen it. It's a must see though.
  4. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    i'm partial to remember the titans myself, might be a generational thing though, movies that come out when you are growing up with actors you are more familiar with, that type of thing.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,177 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Yeah, that one was great too.
    Rudy too.
  6. Hostile

118,906 Messages
    2,723 Likes Received
    The thing that really gets me about "Brian's Song" is the very last line. "Brian Piccolo died of cancer at the age of 26. He left a wife and three daughters. He also left a great many loving friends who miss and think of him often. But when they think of him, it's not how he died that they remember - but how he lived. How he did live!"
  7. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,265 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    We are Marshall.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I would not say best ever but one I enjoyed

Junction Boys

The Junction Boys is the name given to the “survivors” of Paul "Bear" Bryant's 10 day summer football camp in Junction, Texas in September of 1954. The ordeal has achieved legendary status and has become the subject of a book by Jim Dent and a television movie produced by ESPN.

Texas A&M University hired Bear Bryant as head football coach in 1954 replacing former coach Ray George. Bryant arrived in College Station, Texas in February of 1954 and began cleaning house. Bryant felt that many of the players on the team were weak and not properly trained or coached. He decided that his players needed a camp away from campus. He arranged for the camp to be held at the 411 acre adjunct campus of Texas A&M at the small town of Junction.At the time of the camp, the Texas hill country was experiencing an epic drought and record high temperatures. The drought, the worst in the recorded history of the region, had lasted four years and would last another two after the camp was over. All 10 days of the camp saw temperatures rise over 100 °F (38 °C).

The oppressive heat combined with the brutal practice schedule caused many players to drop out of the football program from illness or disgust. The situation was compounded by Bryant refusing to allow water breaks. This practice is now widely recognized as dangerous, but at the time was commonly employed by athletic coaches in an attempt to toughen up their players. The only relief provided the players were two towels soaked in cold water, one to be shared by the offensive players, one for the defense.

2 guys of note on that team Gene Stallings and Jack Pardee

[youtube]hxXD2YrRTyA&feature[/youtube]
  9. Payton34Smith22

Payton34Smith22 Active Member

1,455 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  10. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,212 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I love Brian's Song, but I'll take Remember the Titans, We Are Marshall, and Any Given Sunday before it.

They did a remake of Brian's Song with Mehki Phifer and Sean Maher a while back. I was surprised at how good it was.
  11. blindzebra

blindzebra Benched

9,481 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    The original Longest Yard and North Dallas Forty.

Varsity Blues was pretty good.

Rudy though is hands down my fav.
  12. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just watched Brian's Song again on Netflix. Great show. They're running both the James Caan/ Billy Dee Williams original version — the one I chose to watch again — and a newer version (2001 remake) with Mekhi Phifer & Sean Maher in the lead roles, which I haven't seen.

Added to the list of quality football movies I really like: Friday Night Lights (2004) directed by Peter Berg
  13. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just read that you'd seen the remake, CM. Since you said it was good, I'll give it a look-see. I'm normally such a diehard for sticking with something I like in the original form, I don't always give covers or remakes a chance. I'll try getting out of my box, make an exception and give it a shot. :)
  14. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,212 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I personally liked the Friday Night Lights series over the movie.

Yeah it's worth checking out if you're a fan of the original. Visually, it's a better movie simply because of the technology in movie making. The actors do a good job. It can't replace James Caan and Lando Calrissian :) but I thought it was well done.
  15. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I was a football player in We Are Marshall, so I'm a bit partial to that movie.

Also love Any Given Sunday,Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights,Rudy,North Dallas Forty, Invincible.
  16. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    My name is Brian, and my dad named me after Brian Piccolo. He loved that movie. RIP, both of you.
  17. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    North Dallas Forty and Remember the Titans
  18. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,095 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Remember the Titans.
  19. Hostile

118,906 Messages
    2,723 Likes Received
    Your Dad rocks. That is a great reason to choose your name. Glad you shared that.
  20. Hostile

118,906 Messages
    2,723 Likes Received
    Yes!!!!

I have never seen the remake. I don't know that I ever will.