1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best Player Available Approach

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ragingbull2488, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ragingbull2488

ragingbull2488 Member

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let Go

Alan Ball, CB
    Martellus Bennett, TE
    Keith Brooking, ILB
    Derrick Dockery, OG
    Chris Greisen, QB
    Bradie James, ILB
    Mat McBriar, P
    Sammy Morris, RB
    Terrance Newman, CB
    Kevin Ogletree, WR
    Frank Walker, CB
    Kenyon Coleman, DE

Resign

1. Abe Elam, SS
    2. Tony Fiammetta, FB
    3. Montrae Holland, OG
    4. Laurent Robinson, WR
    5. Anthony Spencer, OLB

Free Agency

1. Paul Soliai
    2. Ben Grubbs
    3. Barrett Rudd
    4. Richard Marshall or Terrell Thomas

Best Player Available Draft

1. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
    2. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
    3. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona
    4. DeQuan Menzie, CB, Alabama
    5. Tank Carder, ILB, TCU
    6. David Paulson, TE, Oregon
    6. Desmond Wynn, OG, Rutgers
    7. Blake Gideon, FS, Texas

UFA

G.J. Kinne, QB, Tulsa
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I actually woudn't mind this scenario
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    What position would Crick play? He's kinda a tweener, not sure he's a good fit in a 34, is he?
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,786 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    He's a perfect fit for 3-4 end.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Guess he could put on a little weight at the next level with an offseason in the strength program. We could always use a productive end, especially if we don't move Rat.
  6. Risen Star

20,786 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    FWIW, I just read an article from Scouts Inc. this week talking about how Crick's falling through the cracks and might be a steal in the 2nd round for somebody since his workouts don't figure to wow anybody either.

I'd be interested.
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,956 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    This is good aside from a few things. 1) FS needs to be upgraded. Elam was bad last year and hurt the secondary. 2) Theres no way we draft a QB in the 3rd, BPA or not. I think we need to think about drafting 1 as well, but it will be a late round project like Romo 3) A 2nd CB in the 4th after signing 1 in FA and using the 14th overall pick on 1 is overkill.

If you had Kendall Reyes instead of Foles in the 3rd and Janzen Jackson in the 4t h the whole offseason would be pretty amazing and I'd feel pretty good about our chances of winning the division.
  8. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,451 Messages
    138 Likes Received

Give me Brandon Boykins in the 3rd round and a Guard in the 4th and I'm a a happy camper with this off-season scenario.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Every scouting report that I have read , supports your claim . Many stated that he could be the top 3-4 DE prospect in the draft . Seems to be his natural fit .
  10. ragingbull2488

ragingbull2488 Member

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just put that Foles pick in there because I wanted to continue the skill position pick they seem to adore so much lol. Plus I feel like this would be the perfect time to pull the trigger on a qb to develop and get ready for a future starting job with us.
  11. Risen Star

20,786 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    I certainly wouldn't be upset with the pick. Unless it meant the team keeps Ratliff at NT.
  12. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,956 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    As I said above, Im with you on the developmental QB, but 3rd round isnt the place to do it on a team that has holes to fill in order to be the legit contender it needs to be. Plus, Foles is a 5th year senior who started 2 1/2 years at a major college program. He kinda is what he is, not a ton of growth left to be done. I think the type of QB we will be looking for is a late round guy from a small school that has some flaws in his game that can be corrected when given the proper coaching that he was never able to receive. Im thinking someone along the lines of BJ Coleman, Aaron Corp, or GJ Kinne
  13. ragingbull2488

ragingbull2488 Member

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Alright what about the G.J. pick up? I was also looking into the Texas native and SMU QB JJ McDermott?
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,956 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Didnt see that you had Kinne as an UDFA. But, yes I do like him. I must have edited my post right after you quoted it because I threw the names of BJ Coleman, Aaron Corp, and GJ Kinne in there as late round projects. Cant say that I can speak intelligently on McDermott though. Dont know anything about him.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    what worries me about the potential replacement for Romo is how Jerruh might think that since he was a UDFA we can do it again the same way.
  16. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think I'm more worried about overdrafting a QB (like one in the 2nd that no other team would have) than trying to fill with a UDFA.
  17. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need to draft Romo's replacement in the 3rd round so the guy is ready 6 seasons from now when Romo is done?

Uhh.... no thanks. Romo will be here for some time. Right now we would be drafting a backup. I wouldn't want to spend a pick on that this year.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    If Tannehill or some other quality QB drops , it has to be considered . If not this year , then next . Romo suffering major injuries each year is not going to extended his career . Two or three years may wind Romo up . Dalton or Mallet would have both been good values last year . We will find out if any prospects will drop this year .