1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best Run Defender on the DLine in the 2012 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SilverStarCowboy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Justin Smith was the best player on the best defense last year and got 7 sacks. If you have 3 guys that kick the rear ends of the offensive line it makes your creative dc look alot smarter. The Patriots had one of the top 3 defenses from 2004-2006. The primary reason was Seymour, Wilfolk and Warren, 3 1st round picks that averaged about 4 sacks per year.
  2. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Let me say this and I will put my neck out on the line for this. I love DeCastro and Barron, but Dallas would have to feel extremely fortunate to have Brockers be there at #14. He is a future stud in this league.

Just looking at his intangibles alone, he is what you want from your defensive lineman. He is a hard worker, strong motor, football smart, and he wants to get better. Brockers is just a pup and has the desire to become great. Typically if a defensive lineman fails, it's because they are lazy and their motor runs hot and cold.

There is a reason why teams with strong organizations like NE, PITT and PHI all have interest in him. I see him as a player with a high celing with a high floor.
  3. NeonDeion21

2,095 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Great point. SF's 5Ts are so stout against the run. Long 3rd downs make it easier to rush the passer. They are the ideal front for a 34 team.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    If you show me where they were dumb enough to label him a 3-4 NT as you have multiple times you'll have a point?

They haven't.

You don't.

:lmao:
  5. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If Devon Still is on the board at 45, I'm taking him too. Our run and hit guys would stay clean. And our need for crazy blitz stuff would go down, especially on 3rd down.
  6. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Richard Seymour 6ft 6in

Ted Washington 6ft 5in
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,130 Messages
    5,431 Likes Received
    Hebron Fangupo and Brockers are both top run defenders. Neither are good pass-rushers. Brockers is going to be drafted in the 1st because he can block field goals better.
  8. SilverStarCowboy

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Just as "my" concept of Free as a RT and Smith as a LT because of the natural individual ability of each player.

"My" concept for a 21 year old it's not likely he loses 30 lbs to become a pass rusher. Rather he will easily gain 30 and become a beast in the middle.
  9. stasheroo

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Who is Richard Seymour playing 3-4 nose tackle for?

Or ever?

As for Washington, the guy was 375 lbs! At that weight he can be 6'8" and still be hard to move!

Any other bad examples you'd like to show us?
  10. NeonDeion21

2,095 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Is it inconceivable that he becomes both? I think it's actually possible.
  11. stasheroo

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    So your 'concept' is to take a guy at the #14 overall pick with the intention to reshape him into another player.

Great plan.

Pass.
  12. SilverStarCowboy

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    The New England Patriots are going into the 2012 NFL Draft with two pressing needs: defensive line and defensive back. Over the last 24 hours, LSU star defensive lineman Michael Brockers has been spotted at Patriot Place and Gillette Stadium, home of the Patriots.

So are the Patriots planning a move? Michael Brockers is one of the top defensive lineman in the draft and by all indications, he will not be available when the Patriots make their first selection late in the first round. However, these reports seem to indicate that the Patriots are taking an interest in the lineman described as similar to Richard Seymour
  13. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Brockers is going to be drafted in the 1st because he is 21, commanded double teams on a line with other NFL players, pushes people backwards and has long arms.
  14. stasheroo

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    And your point is what exactly?

I'm not seeing '3-4 nose tackle' mentioned anywhere here.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    You would think if Brockers is the better run stopper that he could also play NT, but that's not what they say. (and yeah his height probably doesn't help when it comes to NT)
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,532 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    You would think but not the case.

Watch the Tulane game, every snap with Poe pointed out on YT.

I think people assume he's doubled all the time but not the case.
  17. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think Poe is the most likely guy to make the HOF outside of the QB's and maybe Richardson.

He is also the riskiest pick in the 1st round. He is the perfect guy for the Bengals because they have another 1st rounder and he could go to work next to the other big, quick and nasty Geno Atkins.
  18. SilverStarCowboy

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Brockers is a run defender at 21 years of age and he weighs over 320. He steps into a Dallas uniform Day 1 as the best run defender at Valley Ranch.

If Dallas takes him he will see time at the Nose this year.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,532 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Wow.....
  20. stasheroo

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Sorry, not interested.

'Run defender' is a great description for a guy who can't get to the quarterback.

The 'Spencer defenders' use it every chance they get.

This team has too many 'run defenders' the way it is.

I would much rather have a player who excels at all aspects of the job rather than one part.

And this 'potential' repeatedly mentioned is scary as well. You don't go for 'potential' at #14 you go for 'proven' and 'productive'.

Unless of course the GM thinks the owner won't fire him for screwing up the draft...

I respect your right to your opinion, but I definitely disagree with you here.