1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best Run Defender on the DLine in the 2012 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SilverStarCowboy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

952 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Dontari Poe reminds me a lot of Bruce Campbell, the OT from Maryland in the 2010 draft.

He blew up the combine with incredible size/speed and athleticism, and there was a lot of talk of him going in the first round, despite a collegiate body of work that simply wasn't impressive. A lot of people thought he would go to Oakland at #8 overall. He instead fell all the way to Oakland in the 4th round, at #106 overall.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Poe not be a first day pick.
  2. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I don't think it is likely. I just don't see lots of game changing players up top. Who is more likely? It is not Blackmon or Floyd, a corner without return ability, a strong safety, etc. The guy has rare physical gifts and a motor. I think he is more likely to bust than be a good player, but he does have freakish skills that other guys in this draft don't have. It is very much like JPP or on the other end Mike Mamula.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,460 Messages
    394 Likes Received

If Dallas Drafts Michael Brockers he will see time at DT in stead of Ratliff.
  4. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Campbell did not have any work ethic, hustle or really anything other than great physical skills. Poe is at least smart and tries hard.

There has never been a nosetackle look good against a spread offense.
  5. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

952 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Fair enough. I suppose I'm mostly seeing the parallels between them when it comes to the "lead-up" to the draft process.
  6. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,460 Messages
    394 Likes Received
    Poe is more versatile than Campbell, he could really develop with Pro Coaching. A Boom or Bust candidate who has the athletic ability to compete immediately for a few years.
  7. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,754 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    Being able to stop the run with 7 also means less 8 men in the box and more coverage sacks.
  8. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    Yea, our $9 million dollar run stuffer is going to shut that #$%^ down!!!!!

:lmao2: