1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best Series Read 2010

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Dallas, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Some of you may know that I am an avid reader of fantasy and when I find a great book or series, I usually come here to share it because I know many of us share the same interests in reading. If were loyal fans of George R R Martin and his Song of Ice and Fire, you will love this series. If you are fan of court politics and military style conflicts between warring nations, you will love this series.

The Codex Alera ~ Jim Butcher (same author of the Dresden Files)

The Furies of Calderon

Academ's Fury

Cursor's Fury

Captain's Fury

Princep's Fury

First Lord's Fury

Brief Wiki Summary:

Codex Alera is a fantasy book series by Jim Butcher. The series chronicles the coming-of-age of a young man named Tavi in the realm of Alera, an empire similar to Rome, on the world of Carna. Every Aleran has some degree of command over elemental forces or spirits called furies, save for Tavi, who is considered a freak. As the aging First Lord struggles to maintain his hold on a realm on the brink of civil war, Tavi must use all of his intelligence to save Alera.
    Alera inhabits most of a large continent that is inhabited by the Icemen to the north. They are connected to another large continent held by the Marat via a land bridge, which is the location of the Calderon Valley. The Canim reside across the ocean to the west, staging regular, bloody raids on coastal settlements. A map of the realm, illustrated by fan Priscilla Spencer, was published in First Lord's Fury.

[IMG]
  2. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,407 Messages
    483 Likes Received
    Cool, thanks. I'll look into it when I'm finished with what I am reading now.
  3. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,827 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I started reading the first book of the Dresden files and I have to say, it was just awful for me. I could not get into it at all.

Im reading Lord Fouls bane right now. Its not as good as I had heard but maybe it will get better.

Really just waiting on the The Wise Mans Fear.
  4. WDN

WDN Benched

426 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I highly recommend this series as well. Have read it twice now and interested to see if he is going to continue.

Edit... Just went to his site and looks like the 6th book is the end of the line for now.
  5. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Cool, thanks for sharing Dallas. I'm always looking for a good read. I will get the series next time i'm in my neighborhood used book store. Although, I'm not sure when i will get to them since i have tons of books still sitting in my shelfs and boxes waiting to be read.
  6. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,334 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    Maybe I shall check it out after I finish the final of the third book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy. I will hold you solely responsible if I don't like thought! ;)
  8. Sam I Am

31,334 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    Speaking of, I forgot to respond to you about The Name of the Wind. Patrick Rothfuss is an extremely talented writer, but I was quite pissed that he doesn't know how to write books that have stories that spread across several books.

The Name of the Wind kept me happy to keep reading even though the book is quite long. The problem the book suffers from is that when a book ends, some parts of it need closure and he didn't supply that for any store line plots. Ever plot in the story appears to be going to continue into the next book. ie no plots in the book ended. The girl, the school, nothing. The book stopped as if an axe chopped it off.

If you read the new Warcraft booking Shattering, it has 2 to 3 plots going on at once. When the book concludes, all but one are closed out giving the book closure. (at least partly) The Name of the Wind didn't do that. You are left completely hanging on all plots. That, I didn't like. It has to be the first book that I completely enjoyed reading the entire book only to be left irritated at the end.

Hopefully someone pointed that out to him and he corrects it in his writing. He is extremely talented and I would love to read more of his books, but he must fix that.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Oh, too bad...I thought the Lord Fouls Bane series was just awful. Hardly a likeable character there at all, and far too overdone. I finished the first trilogy only through sheer stubborness.
  10. arglebargle

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    nyc, have you read the classic Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, by H. Beam Piper? If not, it's a book you might really enjoy.
  11. Sam I Am

31,334 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    No I haven't. I will look into it. Thanks.

EDIT: I just read the wikipedia about the book. Sounds wacky! :laugh2:
  12. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I definitely agree with this. I heard great things about The Name of the Wind, so I grabbed it, and I loved the book. That being said, you cannot expect readers to enjoy your book with the stipulation that they must read the second book to feel any closure. It makes me worry that the 2nd book will do the same with the promise of closure in the 3rd novel of the trilogy.

I think just a few of the storylines being tied up better would have made it feel a lot better, though obviously not all of them.
  13. locked&loaded

2,827 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I didnt have that feeling. I guess because kothe's story is from the past and the demon creatures coming is the present, its kind of two different levels. Also, If i remember right the university story seemed pretty much over.

Also may it would help to just think of it as one big book, instead of different stories with the same characters. Its not like a R.R. Salvatore series or anything.
  14. locked&loaded

2,827 Messages
    85 Likes Received

I am going to finish the first one but doubt Ill read the rest of the series. It really is a kind of "meh" book.

Out of curiosity what are some of everyones favorite series?
  15. arglebargle

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Most recently, my fave fantasy series was the Liveship Traders, by Robin Hobb. Well developed characters, great villain, and multiple point of view. Hobb tends to be a bit angsty, especially in her other series, but this one was the best balanced, and my favorite. Especially good for those that like nautical adventures.

Other than that, I'd recommend The Soldier in the Mist set by Gene Wolfe. Set in the Golden Age of Greece.

Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy, which starts with the book Sabriel, is very well done, though it is often hidden in the Young Adults section of the bookstore.

Roger Zelazny's Amber series, starting with Nine Princes in Amber, is a good read, though it's strongest at the beginning, imo.
  16. Sam I Am

31,334 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    Well, they said earlier in the book that he gets kicked out of school, but when the book ended, he still hadn't been kicked out.
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I completely disagree. I have no problem with that whatsoever. And some storylines did get tied up. It was the story of where he came from and how he got expelled before most people got admitted, just like it said on the back.

Anyway I read the Fury series when it came out and liked it quite a bit. It's pretty good with some good plot twists etc, I definitely recommend it. Maybe a bit cheesy, but most fantasy is. I am also a fan of his Harry Dresden books, much more so than the TV show.
  18. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes he did. He got expelled but reinstated. It never said he got kicked out, only expelled.
  19. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His Dark Materials is the best fantasy series I have ever read period and I've read probably over a thousand fantasy/sci fi novels.
  20. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    As I said in my post, I have no problem with the book. I really enjoyed it. But a great author writes each book in a trilogy to have resolution of its own in addition to weaving storylines that will be resolved later.

To reference a couple of my other favorite fantasy series, see A Song of Ice and Fire and also The Malazan Book of the Fallen for two examples of huge stories that have many storylines bridging a bunch of books, but still manage to have major plotlines resolved in each book.

Rothfuss has a great writing style, and he has a bright future, but The Name of the Wind is a good book, where it had the potential to be a great one.