1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Best Thanksgiving Game Memory

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by PSchuster, Nov 14, 2012.

1. QT

QT Active Member

1,900 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    By far to me, the snowbowl. KWill doing the slide in the endzone. Leon Lett mistake.

After the game, went to play some football in the snow as well...
  2. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I was in the stadium for that one with my brother, dad, and grandfather.

I took pictures at the time. I wish I still had them.

D-
  3. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,334 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Mine isn't a particular game, more just the fun, laughter and love of my family gathering at my maternal grandparent's house and cheering for the Pokes during the 60's.

My Dad and 3 of the other adult males of that side of my family had season tickets and it was always a "lottery" to see who got to go as "the guest of" the ticket holder.

Memama and Granddaddy lived about 15 mins from The Cotton Bowl, so to-go boxes were made from whatever was ready for those leaving for the game around 1 or 1:30.

Man, I really miss those times and even more so, those loved ones who are gone!
  4. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,028 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    1990 with a room full of Redskin fans. We were all screaming and talking so loud we couldn't hear John Madden. What a coming out party for the triplets on a national stage.
  5. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Honestly, I became a fan because my dad is one. He was born in 1961 and has followed the team since he was a kid. The Cowboys games were always on and I watched with him. He's more of a casual Cowboys fan than I am even though he's been following them for so long. He usually just brushes off whatever they do with "those guys are getting paid millions" ( :laugh2:) when the team screws up but I take it much more to heart. :banghead:
  6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,615 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Saw a replay of that game - reminded me of Jason's sling fest. As others have said, it's a really nice tradition on a great day.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,617 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    ...end of thread.
  8. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    1999.. Cowboys 20.. Dulphins 0!! It was jimmy Johnson's return to Texas stadium, and that game started the annual dolphins 2nd half collapse. Marino threw 5 picks, and Rocket Ismail caught that beautiful bomb from Aikman.

Being from Miami it's always great to beat them, and to shut them out was icing on the cake.
  9. UDcowboysfan

UDcowboysfan Member

636 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I'm only 24, so my memory of the Thanksgiving games is limited. I actually enjoyed the Bears game a few years back, J. Jones tore it up and we all thought we had found the next E. Smith. Also, Henson was starting and we were all giddy about that. Turns out they both turned out to be frauds but it was fun none the less.
  10. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received

This.....
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,326 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    It had something to do with good stuffing.
  12. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

750 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Yep, without a doubt. Still remember how my entire family erupted on that winning TD!
  13. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    It was my first year in college. I came home from school to my parents in Dallas. Dad was a VP of sales and had season tickets to the Cowboys, Rangers, etc. He asked if I wanted to take my girlfriend. We went to the game.

Here is what Wikapedia has to say about that day:

"Clint Longley" is best remembered for his performance in a Thanksgiving Day game in 1974 against the Washington Redskins. Longley then a rookie, came into the game for an injured Roger Staubach with the Cowboys trailing 16-3 in the third quarter, and facing elimination from the playoffs. After hitting Billy Joe Dupree for a 35-yard touchdown pass, he led the Cowboys on a 70-yard drive capped by a 1-yard Walt Garrison touchdown run. Finally, with the Cowboys behind 23-17 and with only 28 seconds left with no time outs, Longley hit Drew Pearson down the middle for a 50-yard hail mary pass touchdown which gave the Cowboys a dramatic 24-23 come from behind victory. Because Longley had no expectation of playing in that game and was completely unprepared, Cowboys lineman Blaine Nye sarcastically called his winning effort "the triumph of the uncluttered mind." The game was named the second-best in the history of Texas Stadium by ESPN in 2008.

That girlfriend married me after we graduated. We've been married 35 years. Still watching the games on Sunday when we can as we now live in the Philly area.