1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Better Dallas QB (White v Bledsoe)

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by KD, Apr 25, 2006.

1. KD

KD Active Member

2,091 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    for those older than myself (23) who was the better Dallas QB?

Danny White or Drew Bledsoe?

Please at least mention some of Danny's strengths, weaknesses compared to Drew's because I never got to see him play live.

Thanks.
  2. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Why it always gotta be White vs. Bledsoe?

Can't we all just get along?

:)
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Danny White, not the poster :D, was much better. He was WAY more mobile and had a very strong arm. He just had the misfortune of following a legend.
  4. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,300 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I dont know too much about White.

He did help lead the Cowboys to 3 Straight NFC title games. They lost all three. Came close against 49ers but no cigar

Atleast Bledsoe got to the show.

I wish White had gotten just ONE ring.... ah ha.... didnt we all...
  5. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,896 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Danny White was a good servicable QB, he wasnt in the great status.
  6. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,300 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Did "following a legend" affect the outcome of the 3 straight NFC title losses?
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Not a fair comparison to start with Danny was in line for the job so he had been with the team for a while and knew the players around him and the system before he became a starter add to that this team was already an established contender in the NFL. Drew came to Dallas last year on a team that has been struggling for a while. Why not compare the offensive line talent around Danny White to that of what Bledsoe and some of the other recent QB's have had to deal with.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I think that had Danny White not suffured the wrist injury, he would have been a better QB. That wrist injury really hurt him because he could not snap the wrist to create spirral. As a result, his passes were pushed as opposed to snapped off the way you have to in the NFL. It caused a lot of balls to float on him and it also prevented him from being able to throw quick outs and slant ins etc. Anything you needed to put serious mustard on was not a route we could throw. He was much more mobile then Bledsoe ever was. I honestly believe that Danny White was Steve Young before Young went to the 49rs. Keep in mind that White was also an excellent punter so thats just more value. Unfortunatly, it will now be Bledsoe. Drew will end up posting much better numbers but I'm here to tell you that White had much more natural ability IMO. He never had the arm that Bledsoe has and he probably was not as tough in the pocket but then again, he would not have been sacked nearly as many times. He could create with his ability to get out of the pocket. Really a shame that injury.
  9. Garret

Garret Member

99 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im twenty now I lived down the strret from Danny when I was a little boy. I didnt even know who he was but of course my dad was always in the street talking to him. So my vote is white
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I agree the injury to Danny really hurt the Cowboys and the position was never resolved until Dallas drafted Troy Aikman. I always felt Danny was a very good QB who took a lot more blame for not reaching the SB than he deserved.
  11. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    IMO, Danny White was the better athlete, Bledsoe's a better passer, though White was not bad at all.

Danny followed a legend and unfortunately happened to do it right when San Francisco was coming into greatness.

There's literally nothing he could have done to change the way the cards were dealt. Put Danny as the Rams QB going against us in the days when Roger had us atop the NFC and I think Danny and the Rams would have been our San Francisco of the early 90's.

Again, JMO.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Neither is Drew Bledsoe.
  13. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Danny White had a strong LEG, he did not have great arm strength. He was accurate and great timing, but could not win the big game....except the ATL playoff victory. Bledsoe has a much stronger arm.....and is the better QB IMO.
  14. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hey! I throw a mean deep ball to my 5 year old when we play football in the basement! I catch him in stride almost every time. :D

Seriously, I was pretty young when Danny White was doing his thing, but I remember him being quite a competitor, and he punted to boot! I'd like to think that, minus "the catch," he'd have won a Super Bowl and gone down as one of the great ones... obviously behind Roger and Troy in Cowboy lore, but great nonetheless.

Bledsoe's story is still being written. When it's all done, I hope he has a Super Bowl win or two, and if he does, he'll be clearly be considered better than Danny. If he doesn't ever win the big one, then it's a push in my opinion.
  15. KD

KD Active Member

2,091 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Want to thank the board for the insight. Wish I could have seen him play, he sounded like he was a heck of a QB.
  16. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You blast White because he "could not win the big game" and then side with a QB with one of the worst playoff ratings in history????
  17. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Sorry, but I only had two choices. I don't believe Bledsoe is great but pull up his stats and look at Whites........it is what it is........really I like Roger and Troy best!
  18. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    your question was ........

"for those older than myself (23) who was the better Dallas QB?

Danny White or Drew Bledsoe?"

since bledsoe has only played one year for the Boys i would say white
    was the "better Dallas QB". bledsoe won 9 games last year. 3 of the first
    4 years that white was the starting qb the cowboys were 12-4.

if your question is who was the "better" qb no matter what team they
    played on i would have to say bledsoe.
    i say that even though i am a HUGE danny white fan !!

when you look at career stats...bledsoe has much higher total numbers than
    white, but whites completion % is better and his yards per attempt
    is a little better.
    i know stats dont tell the whole story but when you want to compare
    you have to look at something and since the nfl keeps records thats
    where i looked.

danny white career numbers:
    59.7 % completion avg.
    21959 yards total passing
    7.4 yards per attempt
    in the top 10 for pass yards - 2 times
    in the top 10 for pass td's - 5 times

not in the top 50 ( all time ) in any major category

drew bledsoe career numbers through 2005
    57.3 % completion avg.
    43,447 yards total passing
    6.6 yards per attempt
    in the top 10 for pass yards - 7 times
    in the top 10 for pass td's - 7 times

in the top 50 (all time )
    attempts - 5th
    completions - 5th
    pass yards - 7th
    pass td's - 13 (tied)

postseason stats:
    danny white
    13 games 8-5
    57% completions
    2284 total yards passing

drew bledsoe
    7 games 4-3
    51% completions
    1335 yards passing

i say bledsoe is "better" due to him playing more games, having higher totals,
    and thereby contributing more to his teams .
    BUT..........
    danny white was a darn good qb who was way more than 'serviceable'
    and who never got the credit he deserved.
    Danny White also still holds the Cowboy season records for yards passing
    (3980) and TD's (29).
    Bledsoe had 3639 and 23 last year so i guess White definitely wins
    the "best Dallas qb " title to this point between those two.
  19. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think if you judge the years that white was the starting QB 1980 till he got injured 1987 ...I think that 7 year stretch is better than anything Bledsoe has ever done...White is hurt by the 1977 season where he threw 10 passes and completed 4 and had 1 int that gave him a 40% completion percentage...hard to fault a guy if he just gets ten passes...

But I will bet you if you pick any 7 of bledsoe's years as a starter
    Whites numbers are better in all areas except maybe yards....
  20. alancdc

alancdc Active Member

3,295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Doesn't White hold the single season record for passing yards for us? He had some tough luck like "The Catch". I really liked him as a QB. HE WAS GOOD.