1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bettis: Cowher is waiting for Giants job

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by johnnyd, Jan 14, 2010.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    now this would suck..

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 14, 2010 6:37 PM ET
    Another spin of the coaching carousel will come and go without Bill Cowher returning to the NFL. Jerome Bettis has an idea where "The Chin" would like to jump back on.

"[The Giants are] the team that he really coveted," Bettis said on SIRIUS radio with Chris Russo Thursday. "This is where he always wanted to be. The Mara family, he's been very close to them. . . . He's known them very well and was on the inside track -- before the Giants won the Super Bowl -- for that job. And I think he's holding out for that opportunity if it presents itself."

Bettis probably annoyed a people with that quote: The Giants, Cowher, Coughlin, and NBC for not sharing that scoop back in the day. (Oh, and the Jets for knocking them off the back page Friday.)

Whether Bettis is right or not, this will only

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/bettis-cowher-is-waiting-for-giants-job/
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,720 Messages
    1,947 Likes Received
    It could make sense, but it might just be a cover for the fact that none of the teams with coaching availabilities want him right now.
  3. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,293 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Hopefully the controversy will poison the Giants for 2010.
  4. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    What's so great about Cowher? He won a single get lucky super bowl and had dumb luck in the playoffs to get there.

The AFC was either an inferior conference or his team was not elite during the lion share of his tenure, what is so great about him?

Took him 14 years to win a super bowl, you think the Giants have that kind of patience?

I happen to know Steve Tische, which is to say I've met him and am friends with his secretary, and he's not patient about much of anything these days.
  5. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't fear him without Lebeau
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

8,030 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    Who cares? Cowher has been away for the game too long and will have a Parcells, Joe Gibbs type of effect if he comes back. You can't be away from the game that long and come back and act like everything is going to be the same.
  7. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,117 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Good. I hope he takes the NY job. He had a perfect situation for years in Pittsburg and won ONE superbowl thanks in no small part to the refs. Coughlin is just as good as Cowher. The Cowher praise on this site is way way war overdone.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,309 Messages
    1,751 Likes Received
    Coughlin > Cowher
  9. JimDandy

JimDandy New Member

166 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I agree.

[IMG]
  10. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The rumor here is that Cowher is waiting for the Panthers job to open up since he wants to stay in NC. John Fox is a good HC though and isn't likely to go anywhere soon so Cowher may take one of the college jobs instead. He went to NC State and that would make the most sense for him IMO but I think he would rather be in the NFL if possible.

Not sure how he would be in any way close to the Giants since he has had ZERO to do with them in his career other than to coach against them at times.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,619 Messages
    2,992 Likes Received
    I'm still completely oblivious as to why people here think Cowher is some sort of multiple-Super Bowl winning coach and is the solution to all of life's football problems.
  12. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,879 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    What is Cowher minus Dick Lebeau? Not much.
  13. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i getcha , but honestly you can say this about so many coaches it could take weeks.

bottom line is i would rather he not be in our division that's all.

IMO .He's a better than coughlin .. who by the way has never won without spagnuolo. (.he he couldn't resist )...
  14. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,908 Messages
    617 Likes Received
    Well, we have a 2 headed monster. Can Wade win the big one with himself?
  15. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, for the Giants.

Cowher is no better a coach than Coughlin is, and Coughlin actually won a legit championship, not one handed to them by the officials.

I wish they would hire spit face.
  16. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,105 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    They can have Cowher, just keep their hands off Garrett.
  17. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    you dont really believe that do you....? ill bet every single one of them have put out feelers to him

yeah alot has changed over the last 2 seasons...:rolleyes:

:hammer:
  18. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

8,030 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    He's been gone 3 seasons since 2006.:rolleyes: Pay attention to what is going on. A lot has changed since then. After next year it will be 4 seasons. You don't just come back, start coaching again missing even that much time without being a coordinator or involved in the game in some capacity and think everything is going to be the same. Apparently you do.
  19. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    594 Likes Received

Yes it has, in 2 short years, Dallas has made the 3 RB situation so trendy if you listen to the broadcasters they are now trying to talk up all other teams 3 RB's.

So yes, in a span of 2 years, a lot can change. Look how trendy the 3-4 has become.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

21,413 Messages
    2,178 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be disapointed if Cowher landed in NY. He's no better than what they have now.