1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Biden/Palin Debate...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,121 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received

Ding-ding.
  2. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just don't get what anyone with their head on straight sees in Palin (besides a booty call). She is so fake and hasn't got a clue about running the country. What surprises me more is how so many Americans are swooned by anything that smells like Reagan droppings. It's disgusting.
  3. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd say if McCain/Palin lose, she won't be much a a national factor in the future. She'd likely take much of the blame (rightfully or not) and be pushed aside. I doubt the GOP would attach themselves to her in the future if this is the case.
  4. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,536 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Not quite. Here's the transcript ...

IFILL: The next round of -- pardon me, the next round of questions starts with you, Senator Biden. Do you support, as they do in Alaska, granting same-sex benefits to couples?

BIDEN: Absolutely. Do I support granting same-sex benefits? Absolutely positively. Look, in an Obama-Biden administration, there will be absolutely no distinction from a constitutional standpoint or a legal standpoint between a same-sex and a heterosexual couple. The fact of the matter is that under the Constitution we should be granted -- same-sex couples should be able to have visitation rights in the hospitals, joint ownership of property, life insurance policies, et cetera. That's only fair. It's what the Constitution calls for. And so we do support it. We do support making sure that committed couples in a same-sex marriage are guaranteed the same constitutional benefits as it relates to their property rights, their rights of visitation, their rights to insurance, their rights of ownership as heterosexual couples do.

IFILL: Governor, would you support expanding that beyond Alaska to the rest of the nation?

PALIN: Well, not if it goes closer and closer towards redefining the traditional definition of marriage between one man and one woman. And unfortunately that's sometimes where those steps lead. But I also want to clarify, if there's any kind of suggestion at all from my answer that I would be anything but tolerant of adults in America choosing their partners, choosing relationships that they deem best for themselves, you know, I am tolerant and I have a very diverse family and group of friends and even within that group you would see some who may not agree with me on this issue, some very dear friends who don't agree with me on this issue. But in that tolerance also, no one would ever propose, not in a McCain-Palin administration, to do anything to prohibit, say, visitations in a hospital or contracts being signed, negotiated between parties. But I will tell Americans straight up that I don't support defining marriage as anything but between one man and one woman, and I think through nuances we can go round and round about what that actually means. But I'm being as straight up with Americans as I can in my non- support for anything but a traditional definition of marriage.

IFILL: Let's try to avoid nuance, Senator. Do you support gay marriage?

BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it. The bottom line though is, and I'm glad to hear the governor, I take her at her word, obviously, that she think there should be no civil rights distinction, none whatsoever, between a committed gay couple and a committed heterosexual couple. If that's the case, we really don't have a difference.

IFILL: Is that what you said?

PALIN: Your question to him was whether he supported gay marriage and my answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.

IFILL: Wonderful. You agree. On that note, let's move to foreign policy.
  5. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With your biases, I'm sure you think so.
  6. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just wanted to thank everyone that chimed in last night during the debate. Unfortunately, it was all I got to "see". My dish went out yesterday evening and they won't be out to fix it until this afternoon. So, thanks to both sides (and their biases) for the informative discussion.
  7. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Here's my opinion.

They both did what they had to do.

Biden came out and basically slammed McCain at every turn and didn't make any gaffes and didn't patronize her or anything like that.

Palin came out and didn't make any gaffes and was her folksy self and for now probably stopped the hemorrhaging.

Just like the Presidential debate there was no knock out. I don't know if there really could be with that kind of format...it was pretty controlled unlike the Obama/McCain debate where Lehrer wanted them to basically have an open debate and confront each other and go at it.

If that would have been the case Palin might not as done as well with Biden confronting her and such , but then it might not have been good for Biden either as it would have given him more of a chance to screw up by getting to mean/patronizing her or whatever or make one of his patented gaffes.

Who knows...doesn't really matter.

But as I'm sure Palin's people will be happy with her...I was very pleased with Biden.

On we go.
  8. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think both did fine and neither stumbled and it will ultimately have no real effect on the election either way, like most VP debates.
  9. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with that. I don't think it will have any sway with voters one way or another. For such a hyped debate, it was such a non-event. I didn't like the moderator at all. The questions were bland.
  10. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think there's a good number of people -- myself included -- who would gladly take her as President over the other three guys running.

In a heartbeat.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,121 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received
    The interesting thing about this position CC is that after the Presidential debate, the rally cry was that McCain had to have a decisive win against Obama because he was the vastly superior candidate with regards to experience. Because he did not register that clear cut knockout, his effort was viewed by most as a failure. For Obama, a success or win.

Last night was a mirror image of the same set of circumstances, IMO, and yet, the results are viewed differently. I think it just goes to further illustrate the fact that we are way too tied to Party Lines in this country.

The single most useful piece of legislature that could be passed in this country today is term limits IMO. That would solve a great deal of what is wrong with American politics today, IMO.
  12. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

I don't believe that at all.

:p:
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree.
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

I know...especially the non-event.

Anti-Climactic
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,121 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received

Well, I'm open to gaining a better understanding of why? If you look at each debate, I can't help but question why one would be deemed a win for Obama, simply because McCain did not "knock" him out yet in the case of Biden, because he debated to a "Tie" he is declared victor? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm just kidding...Obviously we are too tied to Party lines.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,121 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received

Aughhh....... humor. Please forgive me. I've obviously lost the ability to recognize it. Perhaps I've been spending too much time on this forum.

:laugh2:
  18. dacarmelking210

dacarmelking210 New Member

140 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did you guys read the headline on cnn.com that said, "Viewers: Palin defies expectations, Biden wins?" CNN should cut the BS and say it how it is: "Viewers: Palin is slightly less ******** than we thought, but Biden still won." I can't believe people aren't really talking about the time Gwen Ifill asked Palin about consumers who face debt or difficulties with their mortgages... she actually asked to change the subject and went back to another answer on energy exploration which had been fully covered minutes before.

Possibly the most important topic of the debate and she dodged it. I know Biden kinda sideswept a few questions, as well, but at least he had factual responses, which did not include 'shout outs' to 3rd graders (I still can't believe she said that.), to the most important topic of the night: the economy and the mortgage crisis.

Again, as I mentioned earlier in this thread: A month or two ago, I was leaning towards voting for McCain, but after he selected this dolt and joke of a politician who did nothing but read off notecards - which she obviously did not write- all night, I have no choice but to vote the other way.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,648 Messages
    1,519 Likes Received
    Don't know who you are...but THAT was an idiotic comment. At least half the time (probabaly more) one would address the opponent more formally.
  20. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This forum can do that to you.

No question.