1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Big 12 board votes to share TV revenue

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Big 12 board votes to share TV revenue

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

The remaining Big 12 schools have taken a major step toward staying together by agreeing to equally distribute Tier I and II television revenues, a deal that will be complete with all nine institutions' individual OKs.

The conference, after going through a second straight year of dealing with at least one defection from its membership, announced that its board of directors had adopted the plan Monday after discussing it over the weekend.

The football and men's basketball revenue from Tier I and Tier II contracts will take effect once each of the nine schools commit to a grant of rights for at least six years.

Tier I includes nationally televised games on a broadcast network such as ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox. All cable football, ESPN basketball and Big 12 network games produced by ESPN Regional fall under Tier II.

If all nine schools sign off on the agreement, it would end speculation that Missouri would bolt to the SEC.

To Read More, Click Here: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7054421/big-12-set-share-national-regional-tv-money
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Missouri's Chancellor supposedly "excused" himself from Big 12 conference call today and never came back. They have no intention of staying. If the Big XII wants to survive, they're gonna have to find 2-4 solid programs to add.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,239 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    There aren't 2-4 solid programs to add. The Big XII is dead. If they stay around they will be the walking dead.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    To my knowledge, Missouri has no offers from any other Major Conferences. I don't know where they would go?
  5. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The Big 12 has lived to fight another day, or even six years. Expect to see programs such as BYU, Louisville, Cincinnati and TCU given consideration to join, a severe dark horse even being West Virginia and possibly Boise State, all are in the discussion and/ or rumor mill of interest.
  6. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    there's an out there rumor that the SEC might want them to even the conference out but it's conjecture and internet chatter.
  7. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly, that was my point. There isnt any real way for the conference to survive more than a few years. Sure, they can add BYU and Houston and other various nobodies, but that won't save the conference.
  8. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,717 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think there's talk of them going to the Big East, which right now would be happy to take any team that can bring a football and 11 guys wearing the same jersey to a game (they'll have to play both ways though). :D
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    All this conference stuff is stupid.

Every school is so desperate to get into a favored conference because the system is rigged to pay those schools the most and put those schools into big games.

Scrap the current system and just model college football after the NFL.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,273 Likes Received
    WVU is going to the SEC.:cool:
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Easy with that Slant. I think BYU might be able to beat TAMU. They are not just nobodies.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Actually, there is a lot of talk that the Big East needs the Big 12 to stay intact. I doubt that the Big East would offer them. At least, that's what I have heard reported.
  13. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's irrelevant. As a program, BYU isnt going to save the Big XII from extinction.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    LSU is going to Conference USA. ;)
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Angry you are. Anger leads to hate, hate leads to frustration, frustration leads to University floundering in the SEC.

[IMG]
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    No, Texas and OU will do that. However, BYU is certainly a worthy program in my view. The Big 12 has a few options out there I think. I would not be disappointed with BYU as a selection to join the Big 12.
  17. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    LOL, Aggie agenda shining through, look you sought to destroy a conference to stick it to UT and it didn't work and now you're butt hurt, get over it. There was no integrity in the way you jumped ship and it's been repeatedly proven which is why opposing fans in both the Big 12 and SEC are mocking you.

A year ago the Big 12 survived the body blow of losing one of the most historical and prestigious football programs in the land in Nebraska, a Big 12 A&M committed to participating in despite their loss and now you want to pretend losing A&M is going to break the Big 12's back? You really are self deluded.
  18. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no stock in the Big XII anymore, I'm just calling it like I see it. The instability is too great for it to last. Missouri wants out, the two big time programs don't trust each other and the other six teams are feeding off their teet.

Whether or not BYU could beat A&M is entirely meaningless, they don't carry the markets or the prestige to make one bit of difference. At this point I'm not sure anybody does, that is how unstable this situation is.
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Texas and OU trust each right now about as far as they can throw each other, and I imagine that financially sustaining six other programs will grow old quickly.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A&M wanted out because there's more money, exposure and stability to be had in the SEC, I couldnt care less what happens to Texas. They're going to always be in a major conference no matter what, hoping the Big XII falls apart to spite them would be illogical because they'll end up wherever they choose in all likelyhood.

I won't lie though, I will take some small personal pleasure in watching Baylor die a slow, painful death as they watch their AQ status cling to life support over the next few years after the dog and pony show they put on this summer.